Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Is 9GAG homophobic/sexist and basic?

Bradley

Featured Posts

Bradley

https://www.facebook.com/9gag/?fref=nf

I've been following 9GAG for a long time, and I think they post entertaining memes on some occasions.

But I've realised how their posts always target straight male readers, a lot of my male friends share their posts regularly. They are a huge media platform that can raise awareness to a mass range of people yet I can't find the post of them at least paying condolences to the Orlando victims and their families.

Why is that? When Christina Gimmie died, they paid condolences to her but when it comes to the Orlando incident, they refuse to do the same? Is it because the people who died were attendees of a gay night club?

I've also realised how their jokes revolve around male celebrities that mostly straight men find interesting - Eminem, John Cena, heavy metal/rock bands (sometimes to the extent of making pop artists look worthless)

a while ago I saw this post:

13407336_10154733909886840_2572312718382

No disrespect to the artists but were there no female artists that also made you happy?

9GAG defines what is 'cool' and 'trendy' and they're having a huge impact on youngsters, and I think they lack diversity in acknowledging talent and public interest.

Your thoughts on this?

Prismatic

Giving me Youtube comment teas

"everything sucks, why am I born in this gen, I miss the 80s rock, beatles >>>>" 

10346515.gif

I Only Stan For Risk Takers

9GAG is trash, and in my country, 9GAG was popular like 6 years ago. The only people who still go on 9GAG in my school / class are actual f*ckboys and weeaboos. So don't take that website seriously, it has no power since 2011.

Apple for me, apple for you.

Bradley
Just now, Design said:

9GAG is trash, and in my country, 9GAG was popular like 6 years ago. The only people who still go on 9GAG in my school / class are actual f*ckboys and weeaboos. So don't take that website seriously, it has no power since 2011.

Not true in my case, people around me share their posts all the time.

2020Covid19IsOurs

They haven't posted anything yet!? I'm surprised! You're right that it impacts the thinking of young males. But I think they once changed their profile picture into rainbow logo to show support for gay marriage. Maybe they are late, I hope that's the case. :(

Gaga x JeffHardy x BillMaher

Just now, Bradley Cooper said:

Not true in my case, people around me share their posts all the time.

71zkotT.gif

Well damn, my condolences.

Apple for me, apple for you.

Andrew Warhola

It's a great way to confine the stupidity of their users to the realms of a site that seems to be based on the premise of repetitiveness and lack of creativity.

she's a party girl with a bad habit for drugs

Bradley
1 minute ago, DWUWpartII said:

They haven't posted anything yet!? I'm surprised! You're right that it impacts the thinking of young males. But I think they once changed their profile picture into rainbow logo to show support for gay marriage. Maybe they are late, I hope that's the case. :(

They did? If that's the case, then I might still like them a little bit.

kvnrp

9Gag was great at the time memes took really off around 2012, but today it's just a pile of s*it. :neyde:

Reddit and Tumblr >>>>> 9Gag

But don't ever read comments on YT or 9Gag, as they're dominated by basic 12 year olds just wanting their 2 seconds of fame. :neyde:

2020Covid19IsOurs
5 minutes ago, Bradley Cooper said:

They did? If that's the case, then I might still like them a little bit.

I'm pretty sure they did. But every single Facebook page did that, so it might not say anything. But I've noticed their users are very politically correct, they know which comment will get them the most likes. There's a large amount of racist and homophobic users too though. 

Gaga x JeffHardy x BillMaher

Andrew Warhola
1 minute ago, DWUWpartII said:

I'm pretty sure they did. But every single Facebook page did that, so it might not say anything. But I've noticed their users are very politically correct, they know which comment will get them the most likes. There's a large amount of racist and homophobic users too though. 

They did change their picture and the comments were the pits as per usual; ranging from your predictable "9gay" joke, through mildly offensive comments to blatant homophobia. They changed it back to their regular picture after 24 hours, I believe. I think the people who run the site aren't really the problem, their users just happen to be primitive trolls with access to the internet.

she's a party girl with a bad habit for drugs

politicqxs

How about 4chan

giving up sodomy and moving to 🇦🇪 converting to ☪ and marrying four girls

Bradley
4 minutes ago, Andrew Warhola said:

They did change their picture and the comments were the pits as per usual; ranging from your predictable "9gay" joke, through mildly offensive comments to blatant homophobia. They changed it back to their regular picture after 24 hours, I believe. I think the people who run the site aren't really the problem, their users just happen to be primitive trolls with access to the internet.

That's outright disgusting, ignorant and shallow.

9GAG always has a choice to choose between conforming to public interest (sometimes this includes homophobia) and doing the right thing.

Thus far, I think they need to incline towards the latter to a better extent.

I believe the internet has always been that way. If you think 9Gag is bad, get a load of 4chan. Think of the worst case of homophobia, racism, and sexism you can come up with. They all dwell in the pits of 4chan. :emma:  

Archived