Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Does a Billboard #1 have any value?

JerellM

Featured Posts

River

it's useless, everyone can #1.. there isn't even one artist that making everyone crazy and very successful anymore.

I mean, 90s kids here can remember how CRAZY it was with the Spice Girls, BSB and the rest.. you actually watched mtv chart and was excited when you favorite artist and favorite song was #1 and you were shocked when how the **** the song you hate is #1 and the one you like is #2

Today it's not like that at all..

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lord Temptation

Billboard should abolish the Hot 100. It's irrelevant now, but also poorly constructed and vastly inadequate to measure impact. I want raw data: how many physical copies sold, how many streams across all platforms, YouTube views etc. The Hot 100 fails to do what it's supposed to.

Popo

Little hypocrites :green: 

if gaga had a #1 in recent memory ya'll will probably be swooning about how successful she is because she had a #1

HighlandHeart
18 hours ago, JerellM said:

It seems as though we have a new #1 every week. And the songs on the charts are complete garbage .

Example: 

Work- a repetitive and annoying song

Panda - just a great beat

One dance- never heard of it 

Can't stop the feeling - generic song 

It was so hard back in 2012 and 2011 and now any one can get a #1. Me personally, I believe it's lost its value . But on the bright side of things , it will be easy Gaga to get a #1.

This. 

Truth. 

They're meaningless now. Ever since Taylor Swift was awarded the 'Taylor Swift Award' I gave up on current pop culture. 

If you don't have shadows you're not standing in the light.

Lord Temptation
49 minutes ago, Popo said:

Little hypocrites :green: 

if gaga had a #1 in recent memory ya'll will probably be swooning about how successful she is because she had a #1

People are trying to have a serious discussion about the music industry. Stop trying to make everything about Gaga.

gagaisitalian

No.

A #1 song is like being a popular kid in high school. It really doesn't mean anything later on.

Those songs are actually the most popular in that very week and that's all the Hot 100 is there for - to determine the most popular songs in a given week. Sure, there are a lot of factors that play a role in getting a #1 hit and the formula needs to be reviewed continuously, but overall I think the chart is doing its job. :duck:

chromaticka

This isn't even about if Gaga has a #1. We all know she truly deserved that spot, and that's why we wouldn't be complaining. She wouldn't release some mediocre sh*t like Work. Why do you think she doesn't have 17 number 1 hits? Because her type of music is more mature and has actual meaning behind it. The general public likes simplicity, and that makes Rihanna and Katy Perry easy targets for those sales. Gaga knows better than to dumb down her music for the charts. I'd rather Gaga score a #4 with a song like Applause than a #1 with a song like Work. 

I Met Lady Gaga On February 7th, 2016; Attended Superbowl 51 and Coachella 2017.

Popo
3 hours ago, Lord Temptation said:

People are trying to have a serious discussion about the music industry. Stop trying to make everything about Gaga.

If your fave actually had a string of #1 hits on the billboard charts, you would use it as a measure of relevance and success, how they are relevant and well-deservedly recognised for their hard work.

If it flops on BB100 people will downplay it by saying something along the lines of how this chart can't appreciate "good" music and how the GP is basic.  

Lets be realistic here, BB100 takes into account the many ways people access music and consolidates it into a chart form where the most POPULAR music is on top. 

The opinion of people in this thread will be swayed by gaga's performance on the chart. If Gaga was Rihanna or Katy Perry, the opinion about how having a #1 hit would be much more positive.

Replace Gaga with any other pop star and my argument stands. But since i'm on a GAGA website, you should be able to see why i'm using her in my previous post. 

Brian Ryan

If Applause went number one and Roar didn't it would have the uptmost value on this forum. Of course, it does. It's number one bby.

22 hours ago, Juvi said:

no - with everything that counts into charting nowadays it's so easy to chart, especially in higher places if you have a song with a nice ring to it & is very catchy and doesn't need any further thinking!

Gaga coming for that #1

Lord Temptation
9 hours ago, Popo said:

If your fave actually had a string of #1 hits on the billboard charts, you would use it as a measure of relevance and success, how they are relevant and well-deservedly recognised for their hard work.

If it flops on BB100 people will downplay it by saying something along the lines of how this chart can't appreciate "good" music and how the GP is basic.  

Lets be realistic here, BB100 takes into account the many ways people access music and consolidates it into a chart form where the most POPULAR music is on top. 

The opinion of people in this thread will be swayed by gaga's performance on the chart. If Gaga was Rihanna or Katy Perry, the opinion about how having a #1 hit would be much more positive.

Replace Gaga with any other pop star and my argument stands. But since i'm on a GAGA website, you should be able to see why i'm using her in my previous post. 

Sounds like you're an apologist for a chart that has lost all trust, relevance and credibility. As everyone here as noted, BB100 is a shadow of it's former self. It's useless and deceptive. And as I had noted, this debate has nothing to do with Gaga. Many legends have not had number 1s for their most iconic hits. There is a new number 1 every week now. Nobody knows who those artists are, and even the ones who do will forget them in six weeks time.

migamiga

It's been like that since the mid 2000s. If you look at a list of #1s from pre iTunes days, all the songs were great songs and had longevity and were iconic. Nowadays it's just quick, catchy singles

Bio
6 hours ago, F AM E said:

It's been like that since the mid 2000s. If you look at a list of #1s from pre iTunes days, all the songs were great songs and had longevity and were iconic. Nowadays it's just quick, catchy singles

Really? Let's take a look at 2003 for example. Are these great iconic songs?

Bump, Bump, Bump - B2K feat. P Diddy

Get Busy - Sean Paul

21 Questions - 50 Cent

This Is The Night - Clay Aiken

Shake Ya Tailfeather - Nelly feat. P Diddy

Stand Up - Ludacris feat. Shawnna

Archived