💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Looks like Gaga isn't the only chameleon in music…

StarstruckIllusion

Featured Posts

Killa
10 minutes ago, Lord Temptation said:

Can't forget Bestime Stories. My favourite Madonna album ever. It's so exquisite.

It's a bit too trendy on the 90's sound, the acid jazz, new jack swing...it's only been some 3 years ago that i can hear that kind of sound again an love it. But her voice is really great and soulful here. "Secret" was my favorite song when i was a kid. But Take a Bow is something else.

Take a bow is that song, it's so good but sometimes one can't pass past the 90's beat. I have started to love it because we sang a great arrangment for choir, it's a terrific sound.

I also like the looks for the era. It was a clever and flawless era

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HEARTHUNTER
Just now, SEVDALIZA said:

:duck::duck::duck:

Gaga's musical aesthetic (and what critics often viewed as her 'shtick') has always been clear; a mix of 70's glam rock and 80's dance records. You can easily notice that with the first listen of all of her albums (The Fame, The Fame Monster, Born This Way & ARTPOP). From a musical standpoint, you could easily pinpoint the basic similarities between all of her pop releases, for instance, take her repetitiveness when it comes to her song structure and lyrical contributions, that is evident in most of her discography. Meanwhile, with Madonna, she kept her audience on his toes for 30 years by adapting to a completely brand new musical recipe with each record, you can't pinpoint any similarities between most of her albums, that's why she's considered to be a chameleon-like artist. No other pop act in history has ever experienced such a mind twisting aesthetic change like Madonna did with Like a Virgin, True Blue, Like a Prayer, I'm Breathless, Erotica, Ray of Light and Music.

I mean, I live in Gaga's day and age and I prefer her over Madonna, but come on. Basic knowledge.

I know my musical culture. It's really a matter of taste that I find Madonna's music late 90's and beginning 2000's really intense and timeless compared to her work before the 90's. I love few songs on Erotica and Bedtime Stories though. I never said she wasn't a chameleon musically, she is, but it's really a matter of taste/bias and I admit it :duck:

Honestly, my favorite songs of Madonna include What It Feels Like For a Girl (the A&B full mix is heaven), ROL, American Life, Revolver, Frozen & Human Nature.

Lord Temptation
3 minutes ago, Killa said:

It's a bit too trendy on the 90's sound, the acid jazz, new jack swing...it's only been some 3 years ago that i can hear that kind of sound again an love it. But her voice is really great and soulful here. "Secret" was my favorite song when i was a kid. But Take a Bow is something else.

Take a bow is that song, it's so good but sometimes one can't pass past the 90's beat. I have started to love it because we sang a great arrangment for choir, it's a terrific sound.

I also like the looks for the era. It was a clever and flawless era

It was flawless. The perfect bridge between Erotica and Ray of Light, two totally different eras.

SEVDALIZA
5 minutes ago, HEARTHUNTER said:

I know my musical culture. It's really a matter of taste that I find Madonna's music late 90's and beginning 2000's really intense and timeless compared to her work before the 90's. I love few songs on Erotica and Bedtime Stories though. I never said she wasn't a chameleon musically, she is, but it's really a matter of taste/bias and I admit it :duck:

Honestly, my favorite songs of Madonna include What It Feels Like For a Girl (the A&B full mix is heaven), ROL, American Life, Revolver, Frozen & Human Nature.

"This isn't being a chameleon to me tbh." I'm confused lol

operating from another world

HEARTHUNTER
Just now, SEVDALIZA said:

"This isn't being a chameleon to me tbh." I'm confused lol

I was mainly reffering to her looks in my original post if I remember, not music.

Killa
9 minutes ago, SEVDALIZA said:

:duck::duck::duck:

Gaga's musical aesthetic (and what critics often viewed as her 'shtick') has always been clear; a mix of 70's glam rock and 80's dance records. You can easily notice that with the first listen to all of her albums (The Fame, The Fame Monster, Born This Way & ARTPOP). From a musical standpoint, you could easily pinpoint the basic similarities between all of her pop releases, for instance, take her repetitiveness when it comes to her song structure and lyrical contributions, that is evident in most of her discography. Meanwhile, with Madonna, she kept her audience on his toes for 30 years by adapting to a completely brand new musical recipe with each record, you can't pinpoint any similarities between most of her albums, that's why she's considered to be a chameleon-like artist. No other pop act in history has ever experienced such a mind twisting aesthetic change like Madonna did with Like a Virgin, True Blue, Like a Prayer, I'm Breathless, Erotica, Ray of Light and Music.

I mean, I live in Gaga's day and age and I prefer her over Madonna, but come on. Basic knowledge.

You forgot ,the so important, Europop and Eurodance.

But sister, that maybe true. It doesn't take away the schock that anyone felt when hearing Born This Way. Even The Fame Monster. You're talking like it's completely expected but i think that's not true.

The song structure, that is a valid point. It's a bit tiring, one of the things that i'm sure will get better this time around. Same with her lyrical content, sometimes a bit lost in itself, as the lady is many times.

But that title given by the journalists to Madonna holds no meaning compared to LG, imo. The thing is that Gaga takes this to a whole other level. She becomes other people, she almost never looks the same, she's always adapting. It's the most fitted nickname and the thing that makes her stand out the most, besides being a full range performer/entertainer.

But this discussion also doesn't hold much meaning until i see and hear what she has to offer in the new era. I think it's the era where she'll really straight up things

The thing is you can clearly say it's her if you only heard AATB before while you can't do with Gaga

HEARTHUNTER
6 minutes ago, Killa said:

You forgot ,the so important, Europop and Eurodance.

But sister, that maybe true. It doesn't take away the schock that anyone felt when hearing Born This Way. Even The Fame Monster. You're talking like it's completely expected but i think that's not true.

The song structure, that is a valid point. It's a bit tiring, one of the things that i'm sure will get better this time around. Same with her lyrical content, sometimes a bit lost in itself, as the lady is many times.

But that title given by the journalists to Madonna holds no meaning compared to LG, imo. The thing is that Gaga takes this to a whole other level. She becomes other people, she almost never looks the same, she's always adapting. It's the most fitted nickname and the thing that makes her stand out the most, besides being a full range performer/entertainer.

But this discussion also doesn't hold much meaning until i see and hear what she has to offer in the new era. I think it's the era where she'll really straight up things

My thoughts exactly, even if I couldn't explain them in a clearer way.

Gaga is completely abstract and mainly substancial when it comes to her artistry, Madonna is substancial too in some way but she's more materialistic in her changes, somehow like Rihanna. Gaga is never the same person.

PopThatArt
1 hour ago, ROARyals said:

If you haven't heard all the freaks outs and shriek outs from all the weaves Meghan unexpectedly snatched with her new single NO, then this wont make sense but

Holy **** how Meghan has transformed 

If you listened to NO before All About That Bass, you probably wouldn't believe the same artist sang both songs. Her new sound is SO early 2000s, I didn't even know this was possible anymore. He changed her hair color and still looks amazing. Even the single cover serves 2001 teas according to some older stans.

Isn't it amazing how much she's changed?

Who else can dramatically change from era to era? 

idk about you but he reminds me of how Gaga can change her look, voice, sound and imagery for every album. As long as she keeps making bops, she can become a big pop girl and if have no problems with it. If she keeps this up, I'd be okay with her tributing Gaga one day (since y'all are so obsessed with that thought)-as long as she comes out as influenced by her 

Chameleon Queens :nick:

Um, if people just paid attention to media and awards, they'd think Meghan Trainor's first single was All About That Bass & her first album was "Title". And that No is from her "sophomore" album. Not knowing she released like 3 albums prior. Not exactly a "new artist" like Grammys claim.

Go see A Star is Born

SEVDALIZA
23 minutes ago, Killa said:

AYou forgot ,the so important, Europop and Eurodance.

As for the bolded part ; that's what Madonna has been doing for decades though. That's why she remained a pop phenomenon for over twenty five years without dying or lapsing into self-parody, look : Cyndi Lauper, Janet Jackson, Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera for instance. The most consistent characteristic of Madonna's career has been her ability to change and draw attention to change itself as parf of the human condition, human emotions and human experiences. 

And actually, my theory of Gaga's music applies on her visuals and music videos/performances as well. Madonna wouldn't dare to have most of her videography share the same dynamics and atmosphere (like for instance, how Gaga chooses to perform an amazingly choreographed routine in all of her choruses for her music videos), and Madonna wouldn't dare to perform the same version of her song twice and/or use the same concept / choreography on her tours like Gaga has been doing with her biggest hits (JD, PF, BR, Telephone, Alejandro etc.) 

It takes a true chameleon to evolve from the intentionally shallow material girl, to the tongue and cheeked Dita (the alter ego she played for Erotica) and finally to that spiritually awakened, mysticism symbol, goth like character in the Frozen music video. 

tumblr_nmggdpRD511rhustio1_500.gif

Material-Girl-madonna-12980409-360-240.g

tumblr_m4ah7qMmKo1r7e9vpo1_500.gif

tumblr_lm335kCpuC1qezxsoo1_500.gif

Of course, I can list a thousand more reinventions, but I thought this one was the cutest.

And you're absolutely right, we can't really say anything until we see what Gaga has to offer this era (fingers crossed :giveup:

AJH219
17 minutes ago, SEVDALIZA said:

As for the bolded part ; that's what Madonna has been doing for decades though. That's why she remained a pop phenomenon for over twenty five years without dying or lapsing into self-parody, look : Cyndi Lauper, Janet Jackson, Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera for instance. The most consistent characteristic of Madonna's career has been her ability to change and draw attention to change itself as parf of the human condition, human emotions and human experiences. 

And actually, my theory of Gaga's music applies on her visuals and music videos/performances as well. Madonna wouldn't dare to have most of her videography share the same dynamics and atmosphere (like for instance, how Gaga chooses to perform an amazingly choreographed routine in all of her choruses for her music videos), and Madonna wouldn't dare to perform the same version of her song twice and/or use the same concept / choreography on her tours like Gaga has been doing with her biggest hits (JD, PF, BR, Telephone, Alejandro etc.) 

It takes a true chameleon to evolve from the intentionally shallow material girl, to the tongue and cheeked Dita (the alter ego she played for Erotica) and finally to that spiritually awakened, mysticism symbol, goth like character in the Frozen music video. 

Of course, I can list a thousand more reinventions, but I thought this one was the cutest.

And you're absolutely right, we can't really say anything until we see what Gaga has to offer this era (fingers crossed :giveup:

Slay me :giveup: I have a hard time taking anyone seriously who cannot see the MADONNA is the true pop chameleon. There's simply no one else like her :giveup: 

'All our dreams can come true IF we have the courage to pursue them'-Walt Disney

Killa
2 minutes ago, SEVDALIZA said:

And actually, my theory of Gaga's music applies on her visuals and music videos/performances as well. Madonna wouldn't dare to have most of her videography share the same dynamics and atmosphere (like for instance, how Gaga chooses to perform an amazingly choreographed routine in all of her choruses for her music videos), and Madonna wouldn't dare to perform the same version of her song twice and the same concept / choreography on her tours like Gaga has been doing with her biggest hits (JD, PF, BR, Telephone, Alejandro etc.) 

I sense a breeze of shade, but let's get through it.

The kind of change that Gaga and Madonna go through is very different. I think there's a difference in projecting a old icon or being influenced and actually become it. In the way she walks, dresses, talks, sings.

In Gaga there's a need for change, to cope with her environment, her inner chaos. I'd say it's pretty different. Yes, sometimes cringe worthy, nevertheless entertaining. It's not like Madonna doesn't play with it and gives a bit of performance and spectacle in her transformations. It goes on a deeper level, where i find she even gets lost of who she is.

SEVDALIZA
11 minutes ago, Killa said:

I sense a breeze of shade, but let's get through it.

The kind of change that Gaga and Madonna go through is very different. I think there's a difference in projecting a old icon or being influenced and actually become it. In the way she walks, dresses, talks, sings.

In Gaga there's a need for change, to cope with her environment, her inner chaos. I'd say it's pretty different. Yes, sometimes cringe worthy, nevertheless entertaining. It's not like Madonna doesn't play with it and gives a bit of performance and spectacle in her transformations. It goes on a deeper level, where i find she even gets lost of who she is.

I don't see how it's different, they both portray a wide range of emotions while performing, they both play self created alter egos, they both carry a load of art references along the way and they both are intentionally dramatic and ironic while doing it.

I'm not sure why both of these ladies do it, I do think Gaga does a terrific job in reinventing her image, especially from the general public's point of view. But I just commented on what has been said in this thread, sorry if it came off as mean or something, that was not my intention. My point is that Madonna has yet to be beaten in this regard, I mean, her severe reinventions even left the king of reinvention David Bowie himself fascinated / shocked.

"It would be my guess that Madonna is not a very happy woman. From my own experience, having gone through persona changes like that, that kind of clawing need to be the center of attention is not a pleasant place to be." - David bowie.

LoveandMagic

I don't consider her transformation as dramatic as Gaga's, but I like that she is changing things up. A new look and different style of music is a good way to keep people interested and keep her on her creative toes (she doesn't want to become bored and complacent this early in her career). Also, I'm really digging her new hair color. It suits her so well. :)

Just repeat to yourself, "It's just a show. I should really just relax."

Killa
26 minutes ago, SEVDALIZA said:

I don't see how it's different, they both portray a wide range of emotions while performing, they both play self created alter egos, they both carry a load of art references along the way and they both are intentionally dramatic and ironic while doing it.

I'm not sure why both of these ladies do it, I do think Gaga does a terrific job in reinventing her image, especially from the general public's point of view. But I just commented on what has been said in this thread, sorry if it came off as mean or something, that was not my intention. My point is that Madonna has yet to be beaten in this regard, I mean, her severe reinventions even left the king of reinvention David Bowie himself fascinated / shocked.

"It would be my guess that Madonna is not a very happy woman. From my own experience, having gone through persona changes like that, that kind of clawing need to be the center of attention is not a pleasant place to be." - David bowie.

No you're right. I guess it's mostly the approach that is different. Though many people don't get what Gaga is doing and that's why this around this should be a clear focus fo us to understand her. To clear things up with her personna and really a statment about what she is, What Lady Gaga is. Because i think she got a bit side tracked. I liked her original concept of being a con artist. Seems like admiting that she uses people would not be good marketing. But i like it, and she only got "faker". I thik she wants to step up her game, it's all about commitment and not being afraid to lose some of the fans. 

I hope in some months we can discuss this. If Gaga ever surpasses David Bowie or Madonna. Though they all did it for different reasons and in different ways.

Archived