Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

Sam Smith backlash is ensuing

SissyFromSpace

Featured Posts

StrawberryBlond

I can't get over how arrogant his reaction was to being told he wasn't the first gay man to win an Oscar (though he did specify "openly gay" in his speech). Seriously, where did that language come from? Why did he think that would be an appropriate reaction? It came across like he was annoyed that he wasn't the first gay to win (therefore getting a huge ego trip from it) as opposed to being embarrassed for not checking his facts beforehand. Even if that's not what he meant, that's how it came across. But saying "2's my lucky number" afterwards just made him dig an even deeper hold for himself, for he then assumes that if he wasn't the first, he must be the second. And now that Howard Ashman comment...again, he needs to think before saying the first thing that comes into his head. That shouldn't be your first response to hearing the name of someone you've only just heard (and yes, feeds into a stereotype that gays are attracted to every man in existence).

Honestly, I don't know why he thought bringing up the gay card was appropriate. WOTW is nothing to do with being gay, therefore, it should have had no bearing on his speech. It was just put there to try to get some sympathy and knowing that Gaga was probably more deserving (especially juxtaposing her name with the LGBT community considering how much more she's done for it than him). I think this may have been the first Oscar's speech that didn't include any reflection on the movie/role/song that won, or thanked everyone who made it possible (not just the co-writer). He made it all about him and about something that had nothing to do with arts.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What About Us
5 hours ago, Harry said:

Oh my god... I knew he was a little bit dim but this is just pushing it a bit now...

I agree. He could have at least apologized for his speech on stage. It's getting ridiculous now.

5 hours ago, PoshLife said:

Thank you for perpetuating the stereotype that all gay men are attracted to all other gay men, Sammy-boy.

Gosh you've simply been SO good for the LGBT community!

I notice the sarcasm there. :toofunny: I couldn't help but laugh at that!

Promise I'll always be there. Promise I'll be the cure.

GloZell Green

He was basically trying to force somethig onto the song which backfired, it's like when someone doesn't know s**t about a topic and gives a history project about it :rip: 

Lady Gaga | Shakira

Reality

What he said definitely was naive and ignorant—and I'm not trying to defend him—but I can't stand all of the negativity towards him. He didn't have bad intentions when he said that, nor was it his fault that Gaga lost. It was the Academy's decision; that said, I think it's disgusting to see all of the hate that surrounds him. 

Gaga's taught us to be loving, caring, and compassionate, three of which I don't see in most people's reactions towards Sam's win. Not to mention, people make threads about how caring and loving we should be and then turn and make unnecessary and rude remarks. 

🃏🖤👹

NewYorkCity

omg all the backlash he is receiving is starting to make me feel bad... I mean, omg. People are being really hard on him, it is like the new Iggy. lol. I don't even like him, but I feel like last night was a mess for his image and his carreer.

His speech was obviously stupid, but harmless. He meant well. The anger for the win should be directed at the Academy, if anyone.

Benji

He looks like an idiot for not knowing his history, especially if that's a topic he wants to talk about. If you don't know, don't speak, Sam. :air:

In all fairness though, he's harmless. He's already stated he doesn't want to be an advocate for the gays, and with speeches like that, I can see why! I haven't got anything against him, he's always came across kind of dim to me and he's always been self-loathing so I'm not at all shocked. Just let the boy enjoy his shiny award and make sure there's not a chocking hazard on it.

Demon Of Razgriz

Simple mistake, The thing that bothers me is that the littlest slip up can get you loads of hate & death threats. People want perfect PC little robots who always say the "right" thing. Doesn't exist, Never will.

"It's a weapon, It's REALLY powerful, Especially against living things!" -Barry

MelbHawker

This hate is so not classy you guys. It's embarassing. 

Congratulations Sam. 

Harry
13 hours ago, Benji said:

He looks like an idiot for not knowing his history, especially if that's a topic he wants to talk about. If you don't know, don't speak, Sam. :air:

In all fairness though, he's harmless. He's already stated he doesn't want to be an advocate for the gays, and with speeches like that, I can see why! I haven't got anything against him, he's always came across kind of dim to me and he's always been self-loathing so I'm not at all shocked. Just let the boy enjoy his shiny award and make sure there's not a chocking hazard on it.

ghaghfhafgafg :deadbanana:

Tumblr

I do feel bad for him, he clearly just says the wrong things :giveup:

Mariah - Ariana - Rihanna

Swan Heart

I literally want to punch some of you, you're that annoying.

Ok, I got it, you don't like him, now stop being such bitches and leave the guy alone. It's like he became Trump all of a sudden.

Just shut it up.

They say it's the last song. They don't know us, you see. It's only the last song if we let it be.

Archived