Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Gaga has the greatest National Anthem of all time

Quark

Featured Posts

En_Sabah_Nur

You guys are really TRYING IT tonight!  Gaga TRULY gave an Iconic Performance, and even though she came close!  No One can Top "The VOICE!"  ??

Egypt. W

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AlexanderLevi2
24 minutes ago, Metamorphosis said:

She did not outdo Whitney whatsoever. Gaga did a great job, but Whitney's was amazing not only because of her voice (despite it being live or not), but also because it was re-released right after the 9/11 attacks. It was a historical and patriotic moment for all Americans. Its disrepsectful to say that Gaga's was better. And that is my honest opinion.

It's not disrespectful. Jesus Christ.

Currently listening to Joanne

To me they're just 2 different renditions of the song, 2 different voices. Whitney's was more casual, while Gaga's was more theatrical. Personally I'd say Whitney's was better, because she just belts for the gods, but I wouldn't argue if someone thinks Gaga's was better.

Just now, Enigma said:

I agree that Whitneys is historical and iconic. But I just simply think Gaga did TOP her. And there is nothing wrong with that.

I just couldn't disagree more, and I do find it disrespectful to Whitney.

I don't care how good a singer you are, how great a performer you are or how great an artist you are. There are some moments, some songs, some performances that just can't be touched.

Whitney's performance of the national anthem is untouchable. She sang it perfectly and to the highest degree and, due to overwhelming demand she released the song and it reached #20 on the Billboard charts, it climbed even higher after the 9/11 attacks reaching a new peak of #6.

Whitney's performance is the gold standard. If you prefer Gaga's performance then fine, that's to do with taste, but the impact of Whitney's performance is incredible. Artists can only dream that their national anthem will sit beside Whitney as one of the greats, topping Whitney just isn't something you can do.

To me this conversation also dampens what Gaga has achieved today, it was an incredible performance by her. She really nailed it. Turning this into some Gaga vs. Whitney thing is just not something that I think should be done.

Gaga did well.  Whitney showed more range which Gaga has but chose to play it safe. Whitney also had the war to help make hers more relevant to the everyman. I loved that Gaga only had a piano. Very classy. 

Based on raw vocal talent showcased, live or not, Whitney's was better. Doesn't subtract from Gaga's talent though. 

AlexanderLevi2
1 minute ago, Bebe said:

I don't care how good a singer you are, how great a performer you are or how great an artist you are. There are some moments, some songs, some performances that just can't be touched.

Whitney's performance of the national anthem is untouchable. She sang it perfectly and to the highest degree and, due to overwhelming demand she released the song and it reached #20 on the Billboard charts, it climbed even higher after the 9/11 attacks reaching a new peak of #6.

Whitney's performance is the gold standard. If you prefer Gaga's performance then fine, that's to do with taste, but the impact of Whitney's performance is incredible. Artists can only dream that their national anthem will sit beside Whitney as one of the greats, topping Whitney just isn't something you can do.

To me this conversation also dampens what Gaga has achieved today, it was an incredible performance by her. She really nailed it. Turning this into some Gaga vs. Whitney thing is just not something that I think should be done.

*eye roll*

Except I agree with the last few sentences.

1 minute ago, Bebe said:

Gaga also sung the national anthem perfectly and to the highest degree. And this was not supposed to be a Gaga vs Whitney thing. It was just supposed to show my opinion and acclaim towards Gaga. Plus I am only referring to the actual performance itself. Not about the impact.

41 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Not really. Many among the GP agree with me. Gaga simply outdid her in my opinion.

so you talked to over a million people :koons:

I do however think Gaga's is second bet 

Lady Gaga/ Madonna/Lana /Azealia Banks/ Jazmine Sullivan/ DEEE-LITE/ Moko

Just now, AlexanderLevi2 said:

*eye roll*

Except I agree with the last few sentences.

Well be as condescending as you like, but it would be like if some new pop star came along after Gaga, appeared on the red carpet in some jaw dropping outfit and people started asking if this new artist "topped" Gaga and her meat dress...

Like no... It's a moment in our cultural history. You can join the ranks, but you can't top such moments.

1 minute ago, Hexxx said:

so you talked to over a million people :koons:

I do however think Gaga's is second bet 

No I didn't. But it is evident from all the mainstream media comments that many people agree with me. But at the end of the day, this is still my opinion.

AlexanderLevi2
Just now, Bebe said:

Well be as condescending as you like, but it would be like if some new pop star came along after Gaga, appeared on the red carpet in some jaw dropping outfit and people started asking if this new artist "topped" Gaga and her meat dress...

Like no... It's a moment in our cultural history. You can join the ranks, but you can't top such moments.

Meat dress example does not make sense in this context. Someone could top Whitney's performance and people would still be defending Whitney to the grave.

Whitney's performance was iconic and will go down in history but if someone thinks Gaga did better, that's not offensive in any sense. And people are just being butt hurt on both sides about it.

4 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Gaga also sung the national anthem perfectly and to the highest degree. And this was not supposed to be a Gaga vs Whitney thing. It was just supposed to show my opinion and acclaim towards Gaga. Plus I am only referring to the actual performance itself. Not about the impact.

"Gaga also sung the national anthem perfectly and to the highest degree"

Cool, so if they both sung the anthem to the highest degree then naturally no performer could perform it to a higher degree. Get what I'm saying? You can't top the performance. If you are lucky, you get to sit beside the greats.

If you're not talking about impact then you're missing one of the biggest parts. Whitney's performance had such a huge cultural impact that you can't just waltz in and say that another artist "topped" the performance just hours after they sung.

It's disrespectful to such a huge and iconic part of Whitney's great legacy to claim that a performer has topped her biggest and most triumphant performance after only a few hours have passed.

1 minute ago, Bebe said:

"Gaga also sung the national anthem perfectly and to the highest degree"

Cool, so if they both sung the anthem to the highest degree then naturally no performer could perform it to a higher degree. Get what I'm saying? You can't top the performance. If you are lucky, you get to sit beside the greats.

If you're not talking about impact then you're missing one of the biggest parts. Whitney's performance had such a huge cultural impact that you can't just waltz in and say that another artist "topped" the performance just hours after they sung.

It's disrespectful to such a huge and iconic part of Whitney's great legacy to claim that a performer has topped her biggest and most triumphant performance after only a few hours have passed.

Don't you get that Gaga was just was better TO ME? And I am not taking Whitney's impact away or ignoring because I am simply talking about the performance itself. If I said that Gaga had more impact then Whitney, then you would be right to call me out by saying this too soon. But as far as quality itself, there is no disrespect toward Whitney and there is also no point in me waiting to say this.

LebaneseDude

If someone says Gaga sung it better than Whitney, it's an opinion. Cultural impact is irrelevant (which cultural impact again...?).

Claiming it's disrespectful is like claiming it's disrespectful to Willy Wonka that you prefer vanilla over chocolate.

Sit down.

Edited just now by LebaneseDude.

2 minutes ago, AlexanderLevi2 said:

Meat dress example does not make sense in this context. Someone could top Whitney's performance and people would still be defending Whitney to the grave.

Whitney's performance was iconic and will go down in history but if someone thinks Gaga did better, that's not offensive in any sense. And people are just being butt hurt on both sides about it.

The meat dress example absolutely makes sense. If some chick in the future came out wearing a dress made of lasers and a hat beaming out electricity and it caused this huge cultural moment then that's amazing and could be among the greatest fashion moments of all time. You can't just compare that Gaga's meat dress and say that this artist 'topped' her though, like... You just can't. You join the ranks, you can't top huge cultural moments like that.

How exactly can you top Whitney's performance though? I don't care how great your voice is, Whitney performed the song to the highest standard and it became such an incredibly huge cultural moment.

I've already said that if someone prefers Gaga's interpretation then that's fine, it comes down to taste. My point is you can't just 'top' these huge cultural moments - you can only hope to stand beside them as equals.

Archived