new music

Beyoncé - Formation

ViviLittleM

Featured Posts

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/10/2016 at 0:37 PM, Lord Temptation said:

I'm officially over this song. Never want to hear it ever again. 

then why are you in this song's thread 

tumblr_nxc2h3A4Ie1qcgl1no2_500.gif

StrawberryBlond

There's ways to wear your race and culture proudly but this is far too on the nose and embarrassing. What possessed her to make the lyric: "I love my negro nose with Jackson Five nostrils"? There is no way that lyric could pass as good in any universe. This OTT embracing of your heritage never comes off well. It's barely even a song, just a jagged, fragmented mess of almost spoken word. It's more like she's focused around throwing around random phrases that were meant to be preceded by a hashtag and go viral. It doesn't come off as genuine in any way. Just a cheap way to cash in on the race controversies of the moment. When sang at the SB, it sounded decent only because her voice was drowned out so much. When I actually listened to the lyrics back today, I was speechless at how bad it was. This isn't a bash towards black culture. This isn't racism. It's just critiquing a song. Just because we dislike a song made for black people (and in no way does this song encapsulate all blacks), does not mean that we're racist or don't understand. We're just calling out a song as bad, nothing more, nothing less. But to be honest, why shouldn't we critique it for the messages it sends? I don't have a problem with songs encouraging people to be proud of their race, but when it encourages them to be arrogant about it, I have a problem.

StarstruckIllusion
6 hours ago, StrawberryBlond said:

There's ways to wear your race and culture proudly but this is far too on the nose and embarrassing. What possessed her to make the lyric: "I love my negro nose with Jackson Five nostrils"? There is no way that lyric could pass as good in any universe. This OTT embracing of your heritage never comes off well. It's barely even a song, just a jagged, fragmented mess of almost spoken word. It's more like she's focused around throwing around random phrases that were meant to be preceded by a hashtag and go viral. It doesn't come off as genuine in any way. Just a cheap way to cash in on the race controversies of the moment. When sang at the SB, it sounded decent only because her voice was drowned out so much. When I actually listened to the lyrics back today, I was speechless at how bad it was. This isn't a bash towards black culture. This isn't racism. It's just critiquing a song. Just because we dislike a song made for black people (and in no way does this song encapsulate all blacks), does not mean that we're racist or don't understand. We're just calling out a song as bad, nothing more, nothing less. But to be honest, why shouldn't we critique it for the messages it sends? I don't have a problem with songs encouraging people to be proud of their race, but when it encourages them to be arrogant about it, I have a problem.

Oh I know, maybe bc The Jackson 5 are iconic? One line and you're like "oh my god, how arrogant, too OTT!" Chill girl, Beyonce meant no harm... so everyone had to create it, smh. Why cant we all just bop along? :toofunny: Calling a song bad isn't critique btw, how is she supposed to improve?

StrawberryBlond
21 hours ago, ROARyals said:

Oh I know, maybe bc The Jackson 5 are iconic? One line and you're like "oh my god, how arrogant, too OTT!" Chill girl, Beyonce meant no harm... so everyone had to create it, smh. Why cant we all just bop along? :toofunny: Calling a song bad isn't critique btw, how is she supposed to improve?

It doesn't matter if it's the Jackson Five or some nobody. It's the whole concept of the line. The word "nostrils" is just one of those words that you don't use in a song. It's just a silly sounding word. She could have ended that line any other way, but she chose a ridiculous way. And it's definitely not that one line that I'm calling it out for. The whole song is about Beyonce and how amazing she is. The song isn't about police brutality or racism at all - she took the race issue and made it all about her. The video just makes people think it's about race. Beyonce has always been like this - arrogant, self-centered, always taking credit where it's not due (how much do you think she contributed to this song when she uses ghost writers, denies the real artists of a song and puts her name in the credits of cover songs?) She doesn't mean harm, but she does mean to use certain communities to get what she wants. She's so sly. I don't know why such a calculated person has so many fans. If I were black, I'd be fuming that she made a song about such an important issue all about her and her beauty and money. Why more people aren't calling her out on this, I have no idea. As long as Beyonce and her family are covered, she's happy - she doesn't give a damn about her fans or her people at large. Or, she does only when it could be financially lucrative to her. And I did critique the song, I didn't just say it was bad. I'd also add that her voice sounds terrible, all croaky and nasally (totally put on, she doesn't sing like that naturally and we know it - she's just trying to sound "hood") and the song is just one big repetition of what came before it. If every part was only said once, the song would be lucky to make it to 3 minutes. It's just like there was no real effort.

llbcherry
16 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

It doesn't matter if it's the Jackson Five or some nobody. It's the whole concept of the line. The word "nostrils" is just one of those words that you don't use in a song. It's just a silly sounding word. She could have ended that line any other way, but she chose a ridiculous way. And it's definitely not that one line that I'm calling it out for. The whole song is about Beyonce and how amazing she is. The song isn't about police brutality or racism at all - she took the race issue and made it all about her. The video just makes people think it's about race. Beyonce has always been like this - arrogant, self-centered, always taking credit where it's not due (how much do you think she contributed to this song when she uses ghost writers, denies the real artists of a song and puts her name in the credits of cover songs?) She doesn't mean harm, but she does mean to use certain communities to get what she wants. She's so sly. I don't know why such a calculated person has so many fans. If I were black, I'd be fuming that she made a song about such an important issue all about her and her beauty and money. Why more people aren't calling her out on this, I have no idea. As long as Beyonce and her family are covered, she's happy - she doesn't give a damn about her fans or her people at large. Or, she does only when it could be financially lucrative to her. And I did critique the song, I didn't just say it was bad. I'd also add that her voice sounds terrible, all croaky and nasally (totally put on, she doesn't sing like that naturally and we know it - she's just trying to sound "hood") and the song is just one big repetition of what came before it. If every part was only said once, the song would be lucky to make it to 3 minutes. It's just like there was no real effort.

Couldn't agree more with the use of "nostrils." :rip:

And you make a very good point. I hadn't thought of it much, but you are totally right. The whole "I slay" part especially, but it is totally self glorification masqueraded as a social issue in order to gain attention and controversy... I like the video visually... but it's just a weak song, imo. 

ItsTommyBitch
On 2/11/2016 at 4:42 PM, StrawberryBlond said:

People may say that you and others "don't understand" because you can say things like this - they demonstrate that you don't actually get it, or you misunderstand it :emma: 

There's nothing "arrogant" about subversive attempts to regain power and confidence in the light of an ENTIRE society telling you that aren't worth as much as other people, or aren't as beautiful, or as worthy of love, etc. Like, whats over the top about it in any possible way? I'm honestly curious :duck: Little black girls and black people in general are still pretty much raised to think of themselves as lesser, to not find representations of themselves as attractive (look up black girls and dolls for example) and with society (especially conservatives) thinking of black people as lazy people looking for hand outs and "ghetto thugs" who just "haven't tried hard enough" or "only have themselves to blame for their troubles" (:smh:) its really easy to internalize racism against other black people. This song is about not being ashamed of the culture black people have made for themselves in light of all of the oppression and microaggressions they face (esp. black women and to some extent gay men). Like, its okay to be what people say is "ratchet", and its okay to reclaim your own vernacular ("slay", "swag", etc.) and heritage (being from the south, etc) 

This is like, white girls getting mad at "black girls are beautiful" and saying "all girls are beautiful!" or (generally straight) men getting mad at "girl power" :rip: or straight people against gay pride. 

私自身もこの世の中も誰もかれもが, どんなに華やかな人生でも, どんなに悲惨な人生でも, いつかは変貌し, 破壊され、消滅してしまう. すべてがもともとこの世に存在しない一瞬の幻想なのだから

Riot Poof

While GGD is going middle-aged Republican on Beyoncé, I am still LIVING for this song, its video, and its controversy. I hope Bey keeps it up! Bey and I will keep twirling on y'all haters. :hor:

I'm not a woman. I'm not a man. I am something that you'll never understand.

StrawberryBlond
On 13/02/2016 at 5:49 AM, ItsVenusBitch said:

People may say that you and others "don't understand" because you can say things like this - they demonstrate that you don't actually get it, or you misunderstand it :emma: 

There's nothing "arrogant" about subversive attempts to regain power and confidence in the light of an ENTIRE society telling you that aren't worth as much as other people, or aren't as beautiful, or as worthy of love, etc. Like, whats over the top about it in any possible way? I'm honestly curious :duck: Little black girls and black people in general are still pretty much raised to think of themselves as lesser, to not find representations of themselves as attractive (look up black girls and dolls for example) and with society (especially conservatives) thinking of black people as lazy people looking for hand outs and "ghetto thugs" who just "haven't tried hard enough" or "only have themselves to blame for their troubles" (:smh:) its really easy to internalize racism against other black people. This song is about not being ashamed of the culture black people have made for themselves in light of all of the oppression and microaggressions they face (esp. black women and to some extent gay men). Like, its okay to be what people say is "ratchet", and its okay to reclaim your own vernacular ("slay", "swag", etc.) and heritage (being from the south, etc) 

This is like, white girls getting mad at "black girls are beautiful" and saying "all girls are beautiful!" or (generally straight) men getting mad at "girl power" :rip: or straight people against gay pride. 

It really hurts me when people accuse me of not understanding something just because they don't like my take on it. I also find it very arrogant. I take a realistic view towards racism but this translates as white ignorance in a lot of people's minds. So I get dismissed on my race, which is very disheartening. I have 5 Highers and a degree with merit and yet I frequently get told that I simply don't understand when it comes to racial matters. You don't have to be from the race in question to understand. You may not be able to understand first hand, but you have theory and empathy.

You can be proud without exerting arrogance. And Beyonce just can't seem to be humble in this song. A lot of what she says would be laughable if said by anyone else or taken as a joke. Which is why I struggle to take it seriously. You honestly can't say what makes it so over the top and ridiculous? The overuse of every stereotypical black association. The use of modern slang used by the young when Beyonce's far too old for that nonsense (I would be embarrassed to use words like swag and I'm 26 whereas she's 34 (apparently) with a husband and a child). The use of silly words like "nostrils." The overuse of unnecessary voiceovers that talk about nothing in particular and are meant to sound as if they're coming from Beyonce. The overuse of "I slay" repeated. I think people are being taken by the message (or what they perceive is the message as opposed to the really taking in the lyrics, but as a music reviewer, this is paramount to me and can make or break a song. Of course I understand the troubles blacks endure and how they must have low self esteem. Believe me, I can relate to being made to feel different because of how you look more than you realize. Reclaiming culture is all very well, but making a whole song about it when music is supposed to be for everyone? And swag and slay are not black vernacular. They are general buzzwords among the young. Slay is word centuries old that had been modified over time, for goodness sake!

I don't think the issue is quite on that level. Not only is it the topic of race, it's of Beyonce specifically. No one else can sing and relate to this song but her. How is that supposed to help black girls feel better about themselves? Oprah showed Beyonce's Life Is But A Dream doc to the black girls in that African school she owns and they were enthralled and said "She's just like us!" The sad thing is that no, Beyonce is not just like them. They don't have her money, her background, her Westernisation, her connections, her protection, her profile. And it's unlikely they ever will. Beyonce is supposed to be this beacon of light for black girls but the thing is, she was born into privilege and had the support of a very overbearing father (and later, husband) to make it to where she is today. Most black girls don't have that. Most people don't have that, period. Her messages of empowerment only truly work for rich black women with high opinions of themselves. Or Beyonce herself, seeing how personal her bragging is these days "I'm so possessive I rock his Roc necklaces" for example. If I were black, I doubt I'd like Beyonce any more than I do as a white person. I'd be after somebody who's a lot more down to earth, real and actually seems like a realistic role model.

Riot Poof

Actual video of GGD members on the day "Formation" dropped:

Alternate link in case this doesn't work.

(If neither link works for non-American members, ya sh¡t outta luck.)

"Maybe... this song... isn't for us."

"BUT USUALLY EVERYTHING IS!"

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

I'm not a woman. I'm not a man. I am something that you'll never understand.

Archived