Die With A Smile Music Video Banner
celeb

Controversy over white actor playing MJ in new 911 comedy show.

Quark

Featured Posts

o<(0_0)>o

It don't matter if you're black or white...or does it?

Joseph Fiennes, a British actor best known for his leading role in Shakespeare in Love, has been cast as Michael Jackson in a new half-hour TV comedy about an unconfirmed road trip the singer reportedly took with Elizabeth Taylor and Marlon Brandofollowing the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks. A rep for production company Sky Arts confirmed the news to E! News Wednesday, adding the project is titled Elizabeth, Michael & Marlon. Past reports had said the program was a drama.

Many people are freaking out about Fiennes' casting because, well, guess.

"A White Actor will play MJ. Because we aren't whitewashed enough in Hollywood, apparently," read a tweet posted on BET's Twitter page Wednesday.

http://www.eonline.com/news/734370/joseph-fiennes-is-playing-michael-jackson-in-9-11-tv-drama-and-many-people-are-freaking-out-about-it

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
iAdrian97

Would they really get someone with dark **** to play someone with light skin? In other cases this would be a problem but this really isn't. 

retroglamx

But wasn't Michael white? I mean he was born black but he lived most of his adulthood as a white person. If someone is portraying an adult Michael Jackson it would only make sense to hire a white person, you know? Because of makeup costs and whatnot.

And I'm sorry if it sounds insensitive but I'm so sick of white and black Americans. They're way too sensitive about everything. Just take a chill pill and get over yourself.

Pink flamingos always fascinated me.

PartySick

Hmm reminds me of the movie Jermaine oversaw where they told about Michael's life (back in the early 2000's) and had the same black actor play him from the Off the Wall days to the case in 2003...they painted the black dude white about midway through the movie...

Michael was lightskinned in his later years so if that's the time that they're portraying, a white guy would probably be the best bet :laughga: if it's before that, get a nice black gentleman to do it. It's that simple.

Edit: Looked up Joseph sine E's site won't load. His skin is literally darker than Michael's was in 2001. :fail:

Haroon

His features were more "white" than "black" later in his life so it makes sense that someone with more similar features plays him if they're playing him at that time :duck: 

7 minutes ago, PartySick said:

Hmm reminds me of the movie Jermaine oversaw where they told about Michael's life (back in the early 2000's) and had the same black actor play him from the Off the Wall days to the case in 2003...they painted the black dude white about midway through the movie...

Michael was lightskinned in his later years so if that's the time that they're portraying, a white guy would probably be the best bet :laughga: if it's before that, get a nice black gentleman to do it. It's that simple.

I agree. Even if he was naturally black, he was white during this period of time. And actors should look like who they are playing.

Kermit

That's the priest from AHS asylum :air:

“For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal is psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity.” ― Jean Dubuffet

He literally bleached his skin because of his vitiligo, are they just gonna cake white makeup on a black person?? I don't understand the problem people have with this :saladga: worry about something important people

...ıllıllı c h e r r y c h e r r y b o o m b o o m ıllıllı...

skaxboy

If it were MJ before 1990 then sure, cast a black actor. But anything after that, especially 2001, his look was pale and chiseled and wouldn't be able to tell he was black if you didn't know who he was. 

Archived