💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Gaga's criticism of being "wooden" on AHS is misguided

Quark

Featured Posts

o<(0_0)>o

I have seen that many people have called Gaga's performance on AHS "wooden". People in this forum and in the GP say that she doesn't know how to express emotion and that she is very monotonous. But I think that this criticism is very misguided. The reason I say this is because being wooden and emotionless is part of her character. In other words she is supposed to show that almost nothing really impresses/shocks here anymore since she has been alive for 100 years. The people criticizing her for being "wooden" obviously don't pay much attention to the story and to what her character is supposed to be. Notice, how Gaga excels in showing emotion (happy, scared, in pain, angry, ect.) when she is actually moved by something. Anyways, the Golden Globes obviously noticed her good performance and understood what The Countess is supposed to be.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LePetitGAGABLover

That's the whole point of the countess. Rule number one, never fall in love, etc. She's not supposed to have emotions. 

GloZell Green

Literally I don't know how much times it has to be said but people will still overlook it :saladga: 

Lady Gaga | Shakira

No, I think she genuinely was wooden during the first few episodes. I don't think it had anything to do with her characterization. This is evident in her first flashback, because some of her lines as the little mouse still sounded very awkward. The wooden criticism had little to do about her body language and more about the intonation in her lines. However, by the last 2 episodes it's obvious that she got much better at delivering her lines. There's nothing wrong with criticism, there's no need to defend it. She's not perfect and this is her first major acting gig, so of course she's gonna stumble a few times.

LebaneseDude
3 minutes ago, Mast said:

There's nothing wrong with criticism.

I hate this notion.

Criticism has its time and place. This is not it, especially when it's unwarranted and undeserved.

Even her "little mouse scenes" can be justified as her being purposely naive and overdramatic (to the point of feeling fake) given the context of the show. 

Since we both know that this speculation, just as much as your assumptions are, it's best not to say anything.

Edited just now by LebaneseDude.

A lot of the time, the writing seemed to give her only a few words per sentence I noticed, so I think that might be one factor. And like you said, that's also just the character. You don't get to live 100 years and not start to get done with people's bullshit. Everything would become very tiring mentally at that point, it's just that her physical body can't show it. If she does another season and acts the same, then they can call her out on it. But this time, I think it's justified.

1 minute ago, LebaneseDude said:

I hate this notion.

Criticism has its time and place. This is not it, especially when it's unwarranted and undeserved.

Even her "little mouse scenes" can be justified as her being purposely naive and overdramatic (to the point of feeling fake) given the context of the show. 

Since we both know that this speculation, just as much as your assumptions are, it's best not to say anything.

Except it wasn't undeserved, and how was the criticism not appropriately timed? She was doing a series, of course people are gonna be critical on her acting.

Also, that still doesn't excuse the fact that her delivery was not good. If you start to sound fake, then you're not doing it right. It wasn't just the little mouse scene. Almost half the lines that came out of her mouth in the first 3 episodes had weird intonations, and she didn't have many lines. That also has nothing to do with being emotionless, because you can be emotionless and deliver proper intonation. Acting is hard, I know so and I study acting, but you can't just shut out criticism when the point is to improve.

SissyFromSpace

literally every article has praised Gaga's acting and dragged the season plotline. now that Gaga snatched a GG, there is bound to be idiot haters.

Barbie elitist - Weaboo - Sissy

Warholian
9 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Anyways, the Golden Globes obviously noticed her good performance and understood what The Countess is supposed to be.

It was definitely a publicity move. I'll be frank and say she didn't deserve to win with the women she was up against. It's clear they gave probably more rich and experienced performances than Gaga could muster. It's delusional to think that Gaga seriously outperformed all of those women on her first professional acting gig. I'm incredibly happy for her and I think she worked tremendously hard, but to say she won the award based entirely on her performance seems a little misguided. I think we should take into consideration the criticisms coming from the general public and not just defend her until we die. She didn't do anything wrong, it was the golden globes that gave the award to her.

Kevin Parker, Mac Demarco, Mark Ronson, and a stoned Lady Gaga. Need I say more?

TimisaMonster

Lol peoples opinions don't matter if they thought she sucked....she won...that's that

Stay pressed haters

Stream my new single, 💜"Heartbeat"💜, on Spotify!

sipthistea

I think Gaga is still finding herself as an actress. But I have to say she has done a good job till this point. I was doubtful while watching the first episodes of Hotel, but while the series kept going, I saw a good progress. There are a couple scenes I keep repeating because they're really good.

She's very commited to this new challenge as an actress, and I hope she keeps growing professionally as one. I trust her.

I'm not really sure if this was really her time to win the GG, but now that she did, it's a good moment to proof people that she deserves it. The same she's been doing lately with her music. 

Gaga has played this role brilliantly and I can not imagine anyone other than Gaga playing this role, she played it larger than life and still left enough room for the other characters to shine. This is what it is all about.

Bravo Gaga~

I am going to miss this season so much.

The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

PunkTheFunk
7 minutes ago, sipthistea said:

I think Gaga is still finding herself as an actress. But I have to say she has done a good job till this point. I was doubtful while watching the first episodes of Hotel, but while the series kept going, I saw a good progress. There are a couple scenes I keep repeating because they're really good.

She's very commited to this new challenge as an actress, and I hope she keeps growing professionally as one. I trust her.

I'm not really sure if this was really her time to win the GG, but now that she did, it's a good moment to proof people that she deserves it. The same she's been doing lately with her music. 

Agreed. This is her first serious acting role and she made immense progress within a matter of 11 episodes. Can you imagine how good she'll be in a few years? :giveup:

LebaneseDude
51 minutes ago, Mast said:

you can't just shut out criticism when the point is to improve.

Was that not done already? What's the point in revisiting the past? 

That was the entire point of my post. There is no need to insert input even when it's obvious that there are issues, especially when your input has no impact whatsoever on what is being criticized, and especially when the improvement has already been made.

Criticism has its time and place, and with all due respect you are just pissing everyone off here who is trying to enjoy Gaga's success on a goddamn fan site. 

Also it's pretty funny how many people here are completely oblivious to the fact that they are Gaga fans and know her so well that anything she does that is "out of her Gaga character" can feel fake and contrived. 

Edited just now by LebaneseDude.

Archived