Harlequin - OUT SEPTEMBER 27th
opinion

The key to Adele’s success that Katy Perry doesn't have

Adelephant

Featured Posts

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why are we still hating on Katheryn, it's not 2013?

If you don't like her, don't listen to her music (which is impossible bc her singles are kinda bops)

That article is from New York Magazine, a far more articulate publication, and they (arguably) have a point. I was referring to NY Post.

oh yeah

well if ny post wrote that you guys would be screaming "tea" as well

and the ""points"" she (writer) made were all trash/ dumb and nothing more than bias 

i mean they called taylor swift a groundbreaking artist, and praises nickis childish behavior, i fail to see any credibility  there lmao

-

anyways back on topic: katy will keep on doing her thing, adele is a  different artist, the music scene  would be boring if everyone was like adele (and no im not implying that adele is boring, i love her) 

djBuffoon

oh yeah

well if ny post wrote that you guys would be screaming "tea" as well

and the ""points"" she (writer) made were all trash/ dumb and nothing more than bias 

i mean they called taylor swift a groundbreaking artist, and praises nickis childish behavior, i fail to see any credibility  there lmao

They made a few good points. And I didn't catch where they called Taylor groundbreaking or praised Nicki's behavior. :shrug: Basically, if people agree with something, it's "tea". If they don't, it's "delusional". It's all so stupid.

• Haroon locked and unlocked this topic

They made a few good points. And I didn't catch where they called Taylor groundbreaking or praised Nicki's behavior. :shrug: Basically, if people agree with something, it's "tea". If they don't, it's "delusional". It's all so stupid.

" She takes everything at face value. Katy Perry would never disavow fame like Lorde or embrace fame like Swift or ask "Miley, what's good?" like Nicki Minaj.

After all, outspoken superstars like Beyoncé and Rihanna and Nicki Minaj and Taylor Swift dominate our stages and screens, offering their assorted flavors of pop empowerment and complicated personal narratives to the masses. "

nn at bey being outspoken :toofunny:  

i could go on why all of this is a mess and makes no sense but that would be off topic 

katy doesnt need to be outspoken not everyone has to be adele/gaga/madonna. thats why there's a place and audience for all sorts of artists. 

Whispering

the ny post was written by a taylor stan

The New York Post article was written by someone who, just a few months ago, wrote a negative article about Blank Space and Taylor. 

So, if this author is a "Taylor stan", she is fair in writing her articles, it would seem. 

The New York Post article was written by someone who, just a few months ago, wrote a negative article about Blank Space and Taylor. 

So, if this author is a "Taylor stan", she is fair in writing her articles, it would seem. 

receipts. 

wahkeenasitka

why wouldn't gaga be one that right now? all of her songs have deep meanings. even swine. 

Born This Way alone puts Gaga in the same company.

I adore Gaga, but I have never loved her for her song-writing or her lyrics. Or for that matter, the emotions and soul in her music. She is nowhere near the same level of heart to heart emotional authenticity and connective realness - in her songs - as Adele and Sia. Just calling it like it is. 

I would argue that the majority of Gaga's music, but especially the Fame & TFM (the two albums that LMs want Gaga to replicate and can't seem to get over) are extremely shallow, vapid and narcissistic. It's very basic pop music schlock. I can't listen to them. (also painful to listen to in this dept are Fashion, Donatella & other my-ass-is-famous lyrics...)

Yes, Gaga has had her emotional moments on her albums, but they have not translated well... Dope, Swine, Speechless, etc... these songs have not captured universal appeal, unlike Adele's music - which gets people on a gut emotional level, because they are so relatable. 

Anyway, I don't want to say anything further or stick my foot in my mouth. I love and adore Gaga on a lot of levels, but Swine & BTW aren't enough for me to put Gaga in the same category as Sia and Adele as songwriters. But, I will be really curious to see what she does next... and hope for a fresh level of realness and depth. 

Honestly, I think the C2C era has saved Gaga, because for once - she could rely on standards and songs that weren't written by her, and just let herself be a performer and vocalist... which is where she really excels. 

Riot Poof

I adore Gaga, but I have never loved her for her song-writing or her lyrics. Or for that matter, the emotions and soul in her music. She is nowhere near the same level of heart to heart emotional authenticity and connective realness - in her songs - as Adele and Sia. Just calling it like it is. 

I would argue that the majority of Gaga's music, but especially the Fame & TFM (the two albums that LMs want Gaga to replicate and can't seem to get over) are extremely shallow, vapid and narcissistic. It's very basic pop music schlock. I can't listen to them. (also painful to listen to in this dept are Fashion, Donatella & other my-ass-is-famous lyrics...)

Yes, Gaga has had her emotional moments on her albums, but they have not translated well... Dope, Swine, Speechless, etc... these songs have not captured universal appeal, unlike Adele's music - which gets people on a gut emotional level, because they are so relatable. 

Anyway, I don't want to say anything further or stick my foot in my mouth. I love and adore Gaga on a lot of levels, but Swine & BTW aren't enough for me to put Gaga in the same category as Sia and Adele as songwriters. But, I will be really curious to see what she does next... and hope for a fresh level of realness and depth. 

Honestly, I think the C2C era has saved Gaga, because for once - she could rely on standards and songs that weren't written by her, and just let herself be a performer and vocalist... which is where she really excels. 

Now this is tea. :reductive2:

Take note, Little Hipsters. :fan:

I'm not a woman. I'm not a man. I am something that you'll never understand.

djBuffoon

You're calling it as you see it, which is fine. When I think emotional songs, "Dope" and "Swine" aren't necessarily the first ones I think of, although they certainly apply.

I think of "Marry the Night", "Edge of Glory", "Gypsy", "ARTPOP", "Hair", "So Happy I Could Die", and many others. These are all songs that, at their core, are very relatable. But they are filtered through Gaga's mind, and the messages are laid out in a more esoteric way than Sia or Adele. This is pop music, so the lyrics are economic in all cases, but those two ladies are more straightforward with their meanings, whereas Gaga uses metaphors, images, and paints her songs in a more distinctive way. Doesn't mean that Gaga is less honest in her songwriting, just a difference in approach.

And it's a little unfair to say that "Swine" and "Dope" haven't captured universal appeal because, well, very few people have heard them at all.

Whispering

thats not the same writer

Heather Havrilesky
 is not  

Chelsea Samelson

Both articles say By: Chelsea Samelson at the top of the articles. :shrug:

What are you looking at? 

Archived