Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Could FKA twigs pull a Weeknd and 'make it'?

Harry

Featured Posts

Katsuki Bakugo

You don't put Bohemian Rhapsody and BTW in the same sentence as 1989 gurl 

nsfNW3h.gifp

1989 was a brilliant album. The adore delano gifs are misplaced...

If All You Ever Do Is Look Down On People, You Won't Be Able To Recognize Your Own Weaknesses.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well her music is pretty different from The Weeknd but it's very good that R&B is breathing new life.

She has charisma, is very creative. It's the matter of the mainstream getting used to a certain kind of sound.

If Bjork or Massive Attack did it... she'll get there! People are starving for good music, but many have no idea where to find it!

I agree that they're very different, but I do also see why the comparisons exist.

I see the Bjork and Massive Attack thing too, but they never broke out onto mainstream radio in America. I feel they were definitely bigger in Europe, I know they were certainly both quite big here in the UK during the 90s.

I wonder though if twigs made a conscious effort to go more 'pop' hooked up with commercial producers like The Weeknd did with Max Martin, she would have the skill set to succeed in the pop world?

No, because not only is she a woman, she is a woman of color. Which means she would have to drop a track as fire as Bohemian Rhapsody, Hello, the entirety of 1989, Born This Way and 21 combined to have a hit as big as "Earned It".

I agree that there's some prejudice, especially considering those horrible Kristen Stewart fans who send her racial abuse on Twitter. But when there's someone like Rihanna (who I love) that is a woman of color being as successful as she is... Twigs is a lot more creative/talented than Rih. Could those abilities bump her up? Or is the mainstream audience too fickle?

Doing this consistently with 2 or more albums... He is a a powerhouse and deserves the success and I have loved him from his mixtape days don't get me wrong, its just what I consider making it is reaching icon status like say Rihanna number 1 single after number 1 single after number 1 single number 1 album multiple grammys vma's ema's etc. 
People can say what they want about Rihanna but her success speaks for itself. She has made it in my books. He is a more authentic artist than Riri but her level of success is what making it is- at least in a pop market. 

I don't believe I ever said The Weeknd was an icon. I think you misinterpreted the thread. I was saying that twigs was coming from a similar place - in terms of an underground audience as an artist in a similar genre - so could she break out into the mainstream like he undeniably has this year?

She would never

"It's a hypothetical question, but IF (not will) she ever made the shift to recording more commercial friendly music"

inuborg

She's purposely held back songs she thought would make it big.

The Weeknd purposely made pop singles lol

I root for you. I love you. You, you, you, you.

1989 was a brilliant album. The adore delano gifs are misplaced...

What musical conventions did 1989 break? 

Thought so. 

:bye2:

Doubtful.

Why?

She's purposely held back songs she thought would make it big.

The Weeknd purposely made pop singles lol

I know, and that's why I'm hypothetically asking if she purposely released songs with the intention of selling to a mainstream audience - could she pull it off? And could you personally see her pulling off being a 'pop star'?

A breakout into the mainstream doesn't have to go directly to the radio. It's more like diving into the public consciousness.

Anyway, some years ago anyone would know about the video of the creepy kid. It had major cultural impact.

When it's big, it'll go to the radio but it's clearly not as important as it was.

When i started watching her i thought she had star power. She's very captivating. Something like what Tinashe (for what i know of that girl, wich came to mind) doesnt have.

Because nothing about her is mainstream and that's part of her appeal frankly.

Which is why I'm asking if she went in a mainstream direction with her music could she pull it off...

Do people read OPs anymore?

Desperado

Why?

I know, and that's why I'm hypothetically asking if she purposely released songs with the intention of selling to a mainstream audience - could she pull it off? And could you personally see her pulling off being a 'pop star'?

oh yeah she could

Evan Peters

she deserves more recognition tbh. but even if she did make more GP friendly music i don't think it would pick up because her sound is so different.

emma roberts is an abuser

Morphine Prince

I think she could. The Weeknd is a great example. You can see the change in his older albums and his most recent one. I love both but the new one has more appeal and it's actually my favorite. If FKA twigs were to do it she'd have to alter her sound a bit but I'm sure she'd do it perfectly. The Weeknd did it just fine and has 3 major hits as of now. I'd love for her to be exposed to more people. 

she deserves more recognition tbh. but even if she did make more GP friendly music i don't think it would pick up because her sound is so different.

I think she could. The Weeknd is a great example. You can see the change in his older albums and his most recent one. I love both but the new one has more appeal and it's actually my favorite. If FKA twigs were to do it she'd have to alter her sound a bit but I'm sure she'd do it perfectly. The Weeknd did it just fine and has 3 major hits as of now. I'd love for her to be exposed to more people. 

I mean I feel she has the talent in terms of visuals/performing/dancing/writing/producing that she could use to satisfy a pop audience... But to me, her voice is really unique and particular and lends itself to the sound she has displayed so far. But maybe it's just me and she is actually more diverse... We might just not have seen itself yet. Or is that just me?

Bad Monster Kid

Only if she starts putting out songs that fit within the pop radio bubble.(Like The Weeknd has done).  I don't think she would do that. Doesn't seem like the type to compromise her artistry. 

Archived