Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Could FKA twigs pull a Weeknd and 'make it'?

Harry

Featured Posts

Even if you haven't heard FKA twigs' music, you've probably heard of her. She is an incredibly talented singer/songwriter/producer that makes music that is tough to categorise but often placed under electronic/trip-hop/R&B/alternative etc. She's also one of the most acclaimed female artists to emerge this decade, boasting an average score of 87 on Metacritic, not to mention nominations for awards like The Brits, VMAs, BET, MOBOs, the Mercury Prize... the list goes on.

Before the commercial breakthrough of The Weeknd, she was sometimes compared to him by critics due to some similarities in their brand of moody R&B/electronica/pop:

"At its most textbook, R&B is urban body music, but this stuff is filtered through a prism of otherworldliness and liminality, not strictly made for the dancefloor, although the option of horizontal dancing is strongly suggested throughout. Dozens of artists have been going at it, – not least the xx – but the most infamous is probably the Weeknd, whose three 2011 mixtapes crystallised this hyper-digital, alienated approach: sultry, slow, skeletal." - http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/aug/10/fka-twigs-lp1-review-ecstatic-new-heights

"It’s another compelling video and song that marks her as an artist to watch for fans of the brooding R&B popularized by the likes of The Weeknd." - http://www.axs.com/news/watch-fka-twigs-is-a-goddess-in-first-video-from-upcoming-debut-album-12982

A few years ago, I doubt many would've predicted The Weeknd's emergence as a major star in popular music. However it's highly debatable that twigs possesses more talents and abilities than him. She's been known to write all of her music, produce, dance, choreograph, direct the videos... And has been praised for these things, too.

It's a hypothetical question, but IF (not will) she ever made the shift to recording more commercially friendly music, would she be able to succeed in the mainstream world? What artists do you think her level of success would be comparable to?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Katsuki Bakugo

I wouldn't say The Weeknd's really made it yet though. He has had a few successful singles...

If All You Ever Do Is Look Down On People, You Won't Be Able To Recognize Your Own Weaknesses.

Supersonic

No, because not only is she a woman, she is a woman of color. Which means she would have to drop a track as fire as Bohemian Rhapsody, Hello, the entirety of 1989, Born This Way and 21 combined to have a hit as big as "Earned It".

I think her music is too experimental for mainstream audiences to get into, but who knows. I love her and hope she has more success.

JazzGa

I don't know if she has the ability or desire to write a radio hit with traditional pop structure and repetitive hooks. But that's what I like about her so I sort of hope she doesnt. Idk, I'd love to see what sorts of interesting performances, fashion, and videos she would put forth on a global platform with popstar funding though

God created Adam and Eve, but Gọdga collabed with Brian🎺 and Steve🎷

Well her music is pretty different from The Weeknd but it's very good that R&B is breathing new life.

She has charisma, is very creative. It's the matter of the mainstream getting used to a certain kind of sound.

If Bjork or Massive Attack did it... she'll get there! People are starving for good music, but many have no idea where to find it!

I wouldn't say The Weeknd's really made it yet though. He has had a few successful singles...

He's had 3 US 4x Platinum singles in a row (that were also WW hits), and a big #1 album this year... What is 'making it', in your opinion?

I think her music is too experimental for mainstream audiences to get into, but who knows. I love her and hope she has more success. 

I don't know if she has the ability or desire to write a radio hit with traditional pop structure and repetitive hooks. But that's what I like about her so I sort of hope she doesnt. Idk, I'd love to see what sorts of interesting performances, fashion, and videos she would put forth on a global platform with popstar funding though

"It's a hypothetical question, but IF (not will) she ever made the shift to recording more commercial friendly music"

darkchylde

No, because not only is she a woman, she is a woman of color. Which means she would have to drop a track as fire as Bohemian Rhapsody, Hello, the entirety of 1989, Born This Way and 21 combined to have a hit as big as "Earned It".

PREACH IT LIKE IT IS!

The Weeknd's been the artist of the year, in my opinion. His album was a huge commercial and critical success and spent 3 consecutive weeks at #1 on the Billoard 200, Can't Feel My Face was at #1 for 3 weeks and is certified 4x platinum, and The Hills has been #1 on the Hot 100 for 6 weeks straight and is also 4x platinum.

Katsuki Bakugo

He's had 3 US 4x Platinum singles in a row (that were also WW hits), and a big #1 album this year... What is 'making it', in your opinion?

Doing this consistently with 2 or more albums... He is a a powerhouse and deserves the success and I have loved him from his mixtape days don't get me wrong, its just what I consider making it is reaching icon status like say Rihanna number 1 single after number 1 single after number 1 single number 1 album multiple grammys vma's ema's etc. 

People can say what they want about Rihanna but her success speaks for itself. She has made it in my books. He is a more authentic artist than Riri but her level of success is what making it is- at least in a pop market. 

If All You Ever Do Is Look Down On People, You Won't Be Able To Recognize Your Own Weaknesses.

If she really tried to make commercial music and have a commercial image, she could totally make it to some degree.

FKA twigs would never do that though and I'm glad because her music is so special. :legend: 

You don't put Bohemian Rhapsody and BTW in the same sentence as 1989 gurl 

nsfNW3h.gifp

Katsuki Bakugo

The Weeknd's been the artist of the year, in my opinion. His album was a huge commercial and critical success and spent 3 consecutive weeks at #1 on the Billoard 200, Can't Feel My Face was at #1 for 3 weeks and is certified 4x platinum, and The Hills has been #1 on the Hot 100 for 6 weeks straight and is also 4x platinum.

See below my response. But this is just my view. He is a brilliant artist and deserves everything. I am not shading him. I am just saying he hasn't really "MADE IT" yet. He isn't an iconic artist. see below and see my explantion feel free to disagree. This is just how I see someone making it. 

Doing this consistently with 2 or more albums... He is a a powerhouse and deserves the success and I have loved him from his mixtape days don't get me wrong, its just what I consider making it is reaching icon status like say Rihanna number 1 single after number 1 single after number 1 single number 1 album multiple grammys vma's ema's etc. 
People can say what they want about Rihanna but her success speaks for itself. She has made it in my books. He is a more authentic artist than Riri but her level of success is what making it is- at least in a pop market. 

Archived