Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Why Adele becoming The Queen of Pop makes sense

Adelephant

Featured Posts

Adelephant

Adele_-_21.png

As we all know, Adele's musical peak with 21 is unlike anything we've seen in a very long time commercially speaking. It's easily arguable that it might be the most successful album ever released. With "Hello" and its beyond remarkable success, Adele has proven to be more than just a fluke. She is easily the most respected artist around and by far the most successful one too. 

Her universal appeal comes from her soulful, strong, and beautiful voice and relatable, stripped down music. She's all about simplicity. All she needs on stage is a microphone and a live band to capture the attention of most people.

While doing a little investigating, I found that the biggest female artists in each of the major spoken languages are: 

Edith Piaf - For French
Um Kulthum - For Arabic
(arguably) Gloria Estefan - For Spanish
Mina - For Italian 
Helene Fischer - For German
Utada Hikaru - For Japanese
Faye Wong - For Mandarin
Lata Mangeshkar - For Hindi
Madonna - For English

Let's look at a few of those examples more closely: 

Edith Piaf

edith-piaf-red-chair-cabaret.jpg?w=300&h

Easily the most iconic female French singer. I do believe that most people, aged 10+, know at least "La Vie En Rose" and "Non Rien De Rien". Much like Adele, she was a great vocalist with a sorrowful image. She wrote her songs, much like Adele. Her songs were about her personal life, once again, just like Adele. The striking resemblance is in the way they both performed on stage. 

Umm Kulthum

19349cf10daa971ad37089b8050943e1.jpg

She's also easily the most iconic female artist in the Arab world. It is said that every Arab household owns at least one of her records. She was a great vocalist with an impressive vocal range. She may not have written her songs, but all of her music was centered around heartbreak and love. She had a larger than life, one-woman show persona to herself as well. 

-------

So with Adele's never ending phenomenal success, it is natural that she'd eventually become the biggest female artist of all time. I can see her surpassing Madonna who simply does not fit in with the others; she's not a strong vocalist. She's not a mostly loved balladist but rather a very controversial figure whose most recognizable hits are all dancey. She's become the icon she is due to her dancing skills, over-s-xualized image, instantly recognizable raunchy costumes, and her production value. The other top female artists in other languages were all about the one-woman show. The world is craving a top anglo female artist that everyone can love and whose strong voice can be a soundtrack to their sorrowful moments. 

Discuss!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even though she is amazing, Adele didn't "do" anything big. For example, Madonna changed the music scene and did things never did before. Same with Gaga (and don't start oh gaga didn't had this that bla bla bla). They had impact.

Adele had impact on music sales, but other than that, I didn't see any changes :shrug:

I like dancin', and ponies....

PartySick

Everything about me wants Gaga to have this. Call me jealous 'cause you're probably right :emma:

Queen Adele makes sense tbh. Remembering that Gaga doesn't need a throne helps :giveup:

💚

Jenniferella

You need to get off. I see you with your semi-shady threads/posts.

Also : No.

"I have been writing LG5 since I was 13"

Her peak (21 combined with 25) is / will be bigger than Madonna's or Britney's or Gaga's.

So it kind of makes sense anyway... 

The queen of Pop in Bulgaria is also the one with the biggest voice :rip: I never thought about that tbh....   And the Queen of Pop Folk is also the one who has the best voice !

Admin should make 'Adele' section. :lana:

Or just change the site to AdeleDaliy :sis:

I like dancin', and ponies....

I love Adele but you can have several seats. Madonna isn't just the #1 female artists because of her "dancing skills, over-s-xualized image, instantly recognisable raunchy costumes, and her production value" and how dare you even say that? Madonna isn't over-s-xualized in the way all these other hoes in the industry are. Madonna OWNS her s-xuality and took control over her s-xuality, it was hers to give, not a man's to take. And she came with that message in the Eighties, a time were money was on a loop and the Western world was booming. Excess, excess, excess and Madonna had it all. But as time gone by, she has proven to be more than that. As she said in 1983 "I cannot begin to tell you what the world doesn't see in me right now." Madonna has truly done it all. If you don't think Madonna isn't an excellent vocalist I suggest you watch Evita, listen to it's soundtrack, buy Ray Of Light and watch her Sooner or Later performance at the Oscars. Madonna by the way, is a big Edith Piaff fan because she relates to her. Like Piaff, Madonna doesn't have a big range either. But the emotion in their voices is what makes them so distinctive. Your local comparison map here doesn't have any value and you cannot compare a global pop icon to the best local singers. It doesn't work like that. Madonna will forever be the most influential female artist of all time because she has set the blueprint for modern pop careers, owned her own s-xuality and fought all taboos possible, next to showing incredible range both sonically and visually all the while being extremely disciplined and never derailing under the immense pressure she is under by the world and the media. Why do you think Adele hides in the country side? Adele is the voice of this generation, but the #1 female artist, both in impact and accolades has been Madonna for decades now and it'll probably stay that way.

Tropico

But she doesn't make pop. I think people are forgetting that queen/king of pop is the artist dominating the pop "genre" at the time. Madonna makes pop. MJ made pop. Britney makes pop. Gaga makes pop. JT made pop. All people who have been seen as pop royalty by media.

Adele is definitely a queen and the biggest album artist of  recent years but she is not the queen of pop. 

If Adele churns out a Just Dance or Vogue or Thriller, actual pop, then she can compete for the queen of pop title. Until then.... No. 

♢ Social Justice Enthusiast ♢

The thirst of some people to drag Madonna down 34 years after her debut is amusing... Keep Hating she remains the best selling female artist of all time. As for Adele her ballandy doesn t actually making her Queen of Pop, i would call her the Voice as Whitney but not Queen of Pop.

You should have googled some more of those female singers. Mentioning Helene Fischer alone contradicts your whole point. She is nowhere near someone like Adele or Edith Piaf, she is basically just a poor mans Madonna, favorite of all Oktoberfest lovers. Nothing but cheap german schlager music with pseudo dance influences here and there. That's why she WAS popular. 

Other than that I agree with others, that Adele is not really pop. She will remain one of the most successful female artists in music history, but not Queen of pop.

Archived