đź’“ DAWN OF CHROMATICA đź’“

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
event

BBC Music presents Adele At The BBC

Serendipity

Featured Posts

The one-off, hour-long special will be broadcast on BBC One in November

Nothing that unusual in Britain. Gaga had a one-hour special during BTW. Kylie had a couple for Fever and X eras. Girls Aloud had one in 2008.  

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, it's a very British thing. Only British acts seems to do this, but only a select few get the honour. Obviously, I'm not asking for it to be artists who are too risque (although this will be a late night show, so...), but I just wish more could get the opportunity. Too many good albums slip through the cracks because they don't get promoted and the public are just left believing that what is served up to them on a platter is the only good music. If you don't present new music to the public, they won't know it exists, basically. The top ten most successful albums in the UK every year is no surprise because it's always by the artists who were put all over the place. They were on every talk show, every festival, absolutely every media opportunity available. So, of course they sold. And it annoys me that this is all it takes to be successful. Why does it always have to be the most basic, generic artists who get these opportunities too?

yes I agree. But this is our society's problem over ALL, you know big brands over taking small/less known etc. Its kind of sad.

yes I agree. But this is our society's problem over ALL, you know big brands over taking small/less known etc. Its kind of sad.

As a Canadian, I admire how UK promotes it's own music scene via television. The alternative is more domination by big US acts.

As a Canadian, I admire how UK promotes it's own music scene via television. The alternative is more domination by big US acts.

thats The other side of The coin

Ugh, I hate these special treatment lovefests. Pass me the sick bucket. If every artist got this treatment, music sales wouldn't be a problem. But it only gets given to the artists who are "respected" and "deserve it," apparently. As if Adele needs promo to sell! As if any British act needs this to sell! It needs to be given to acts outside the UK who don't get a lot of promo otherwise. Can you imagine if Gaga did this? She'd be unstoppable again. This special will probably be repeated for the next few years periodically, just like Adele's Live At Albert Hall tour (it gets featured on UK tv so often you'd get sick of it). Special treatment again.

They're doing it because people want to see Adele. This is like complaining your country's most popular sport is shown too much... it's shown because it's popular.

StrawberryBlond

They're doing it because people want to see Adele. This is like complaining your country's most popular sport is shown too much... it's shown because it's popular.

It's not the same as sport - sport has to be put on tv or you won't see it unless you go to see it live. Music can be played through CD's or digitally through your MP3 player, computer, phone, or through the radio. There's all different ways you can listen to music and the tv isn't the most obvious option. Adele's so popular she doesn't need promo to sell. That's my point. Basing the entire show around one artist for one episode is unfair levels of promo. I believe there were even complaints sent in to BBC and ITV about the ridiculous amount of promo Gary Barlow got with his latest solo album (he was still a judge on XF at the time, so he got double the promo across multiple networks). He was getting a whole day's worth of promo dedicated to him on the BBC and was interviewed 3 times in one day. The BBC was actually reprimanded in the past for over-promoting Coldplay and U2 on their network because there's guidelines in place about how much you can advertise one particular product and they had overstepped the mark. There's promo and then there's trying to eliminate competition. And there's so many artists who would walk over hot coals for this opportunity who never get it.

It's not the same as sport - sport has to be put on tv or you won't see it unless you go to see it live. Music can be played through CD's or digitally through your MP3 player, computer, phone, or through the radio. There's all different ways you can listen to music and the tv isn't the most obvious option. Adele's so popular she doesn't need promo to sell. That's my point. Basing the entire show around one artist for one episode is unfair levels of promo. I believe there were even complaints sent in to BBC and ITV about the ridiculous amount of promo Gary Barlow got with his latest solo album (he was still a judge on XF at the time, so he got double the promo across multiple networks). He was getting a whole day's worth of promo dedicated to him on the BBC and was interviewed 3 times in one day. The BBC was actually reprimanded in the past for over-promoting Coldplay and U2 on their network because there's guidelines in place about how much you can advertise one particular product and they had overstepped the mark. There's promo and then there's trying to eliminate competition. And there's so many artists who would walk over hot coals for this opportunity who never get it.

Why do people go to watch or buy DVDs of tours then? :proud: She's far from being over promoted by them. She's doing a one hour slot for them. Apart from that, I've only seen her mentioned on the entertainment news on BBC3 for breaking some records. You're pretending like she's being forced down your throat when in reality, it's just that people are excited about her returning to music and are discussing her. You're right, she doesn't need a massive promotion schedule, hence why she hasn't really got one. She broke records by literally having one single advert, the rest was done by the public.

People need to stop pretending like people aren't here for Adele.

StrawberryBlond

Why do people go to watch or buy DVDs of tours then? :proud: She's far from being over promoted by them. She's doing a one hour slot for them. Apart from that, I've only seen her mentioned on the entertainment news on BBC3 for breaking some records. You're pretending like she's being forced down your throat when in reality, it's just that people are excited about her returning to music and are discussing her. You're right, she doesn't need a massive promotion schedule, hence why she hasn't really got one. She broke records by literally having one single advert, the rest was done by the public.

People need to stop pretending like people aren't here for Adele.

Still music, it's all connected. I'm sure there'll be more UK promo planned. She'll totally be at the BRITS and whatnot. Her schedule for the US is already filling up. The music industry are desperate for another big selling act, so of course they'll shove her down our throats the nearer it gets to Christmas and early in the new year.

I know people are here for her, but I'm just pointing out that not everyone is. And for those of us who aren't, life's going to be like that dreadful 21 overexposure all over again. The very memory of that period makes me want to rock back and forth, humming a non-existant tune or curl into the foetal position and weep.

Still music, it's all connected. I'm sure there'll be more UK promo planned. She'll totally be at the BRITS and whatnot. Her schedule for the US is already filling up. The music industry are desperate for another big selling act, so of course they'll shove her down our throats the nearer it gets to Christmas and early in the new year.

I know people are here for her, but I'm just pointing out that not everyone is. And for those of us who aren't, life's going to be like that dreadful 21 overexposure all over again. The very memory of that period makes me want to rock back and forth, humming a non-existant tune or curl into the foetal position and weep.

Well that's like saying why do people pay to watch football when they can just go outside and kick a ball? It's connected but it's not really a point :rip:

I somewhat liked Adele during 21 and the promo wasn't excessive from what I remember? I don't know , but I think I saw her on one t.v. show and that was it? I wasn't bothered about her so I didn't seek her out? It's not really that hard. If you don't like something, just avoid it? No one is making you sit and watch this show. If you know you don't like Adele, which is pretty evident from how you've spoke about her in nearly every thread about her, just don't even bother? I mean noticing the fact that getting punched in the stomach hurts should be enough to make someone avoid being punched in the stomach and to stop doing it themselves.

StrawberryBlond

Well that's like saying why do people pay to watch football when they can just go outside and kick a ball? It's connected but it's not really a point :rip:

I somewhat liked Adele during 21 and the promo wasn't excessive from what I remember? I don't know , but I think I saw her on one t.v. show and that was it? I wasn't bothered about her so I didn't seek her out? It's not really that hard. If you don't like something, just avoid it? No one is making you sit and watch this show. If you know you don't like Adele, which is pretty evident from how you've spoke about her in nearly every thread about her, just don't even bother? I mean noticing the fact that getting punched in the stomach hurts should be enough to make someone avoid being punched in the stomach and to stop doing it themselves.

Well, it's not that she was promoting herself (for the most part, she sat back and let the sales flood in, it was just one of those kinds of albums that didn't need promo) but everyone else sure did it for her. Her music was never off the radio, her songs played in every shop, she was on the cover of magazines, her tour special was played frequently on tv, she was getting nominated and winning every award, her music was played at any social gathering. I frequently recount the time I was walking around an empty suburban street in the afternoon only to hear Rumour Has It blasting out of a house as I passed. She truly was inescapable, it wasn't a matter of saying "Just switch off if you don't like it." And promo is getting even more intrusive as time goes on. I remember eating in the Sainsbury's cafe on the day that Ed Sheeran's new album came out and the store had these tv screens set up in the music/entertainment section of the store, which was right next to the cafe. And for the whole time I was there, a sporadic advert for the album would play. You'd hear the various Sainsbury's adverts and then the "la la la la la" beginning of Don't, followed by a snippet of Sing, and then "Ed Sheeran's new album X - in stores now." Over and over again. Modern promo's primary aim is to literally drive you mad, it seems. And Adele's 21 era was definitely the most insufferable era in my lifetime.

gagaconvert

Holy mother of Jesus I GOT TICKETS!!!! :air: OMFG I get to see her perform Hello live for the first time EVER in FOUR ****ING DAYS :wao::wao::wao: 

Archived