Die With A Smile Music Video Banner
other

*Complete Season* - AHS Gaga-Only Versions (for critique)

FATCAT

Featured Posts

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FATCAT

Thank you so much, we should pay your for your work tbh, I just don't know how. :sweat: 

Just pay me with internet hugs :hug:

Purr more, hiss less.

If an edit sends a message that the artist did not intend it to send, then some is worse than none. 

Everyone watching is going to have their own interpretation of what that message is though, even in full. You and me watching the full show could have the argument over whether AHS glamorizes violence in a positive way or whether it paints it in a cautious and negative light. Watching the whole thing you can still get a message that wasn't intended. You could straight up have Ryan Murphy tell someone every meaning and message that was intended and they would still think there are other messages or that he is wrong about his own messages. That's what art is though, different people interacting with the same piece in many different ways all to get their own unique experience out of it.

I look at it this way. I made a series of 12 prints. They all went together and connected thematically to show a larger concept. When I sell these prints, if someone buys just one and not the other 11 than I don't try to convince them to get all of them, because they already made the decision of what they want and how they want it. I made the art but it is still ultimately up to them to decide how they want to use it. That could be anything from buying all 12 and displaying them across their wall in the main entrance to their home, or it could mean they hate it and use it to wipe their ass with. An important part of art as the artist is letting go and letting it be what people make of it and that is exactly the case of what is happening here. Some people only want a single piece of the 12 piece set and that's perfectly fine, because if they ever chose to get the remaining pieces they'll be there for them.

FATCAT

No need to be sorry, thanks a lot! <3  Can you tell in short what happened in Ep. 3? Some highlights. 

Elizabeth's new boy toy model is becoming friends with the owner and the crazy maid, Elizabeth is attempting to seduce and marry Will Drake, Alex actually sees and talks to her missing son, Angela Bassets character is introduced, shows a rivalry/love affair with Elizabeth, she's trying to get on the inside of the hotel, the concierge (Elizabeth's ex-boyfriends mom) commits suicide, and her son converts her to a vampire.

That's most of it, I think. There are a lot of little nods throughout the episode, but plot wise this is about it.

Purr more, hiss less.

Elizabeth's new boy toy model is becoming friends with the owner and the crazy maid, Elizabeth is attempting to seduce and marry Will Drake, Alex actually sees and talks to her missing son, Angela Bassets character is introduced, shows a rivalry/love affair with Elizabeth, she's trying to get on the inside of the hotel, the concierge (Elizabeth's ex-boyfriends mom) commits suicide, and her son converts her to a vampire.

That's most of it, I think. There are a lot of little nods throughout the episode, but plot wise this is about it.

Iris commits suicide and Donovan converts her? :udidnt: is there too much gore again? Compared to first two episodes? 

FreePalestine

FATCAT

Iris commits suicide and Donovan converts her? :udidnt: is there too much gore again? Compared to first two episodes? 

It's less gorey, but there is still some gore. You see someones open-skull and blown out brains :emma:

Purr more, hiss less.

It's less gorey, but there is still some gore. You see someones open-skull and blown out brains :emma:

Thanks again. I might watch it. 

FreePalestine

Everyone watching is going to have their own interpretation of what that message is though, even in full. You and me watching the full show could have the argument over whether AHS glamorizes violence in a positive way or whether it paints it in a cautious and negative light. Watching the whole thing you can still get a message that wasn't intended. You could straight up have Ryan Murphy tell someone every meaning and message that was intended and they would still think there are other messages or that he is wrong about his own messages. That's what art is though, different people interacting with the same piece in many different ways all to get their own unique experience out of it.

I look at it this way. I made a series of 12 prints. They all went together and connected thematically to show a larger concept. When I sell these prints, if someone buys just one and not the other 11 than I don't try to convince them to get all of them, because they already made the decision of what they want and how they want it. I made the art but it is still ultimately up to them to decide how they want to use it. That could be anything from buying all 12 and displaying them across their wall in the main entrance to their home, or it could mean they hate it and use it to wipe their ass with. An important part of art as the artist is letting go and letting it be what people make of it and that is exactly the case of what is happening here. Some people only want a single piece of the 12 piece set and that's perfectly fine, because if they ever chose to get the remaining pieces they'll be there for them.

Yes art can be interpreted in different ways.

But we are talking about manipulation of art, not interpretation. 

Interpretation is a positive thing, it's what the artist wants. But not if their full message isn't being shown.

Yes art can be interpreted in different ways.

But we are talking about manipulation of art, not interpretation. 

Interpretation is a positive thing, it's what the artist wants. But not if their full message isn't being shown.

Manipulation of art is it's own art though. Andy Warhol made a career out of it! Every single remix of a song made is manipulation of art as well - it's not the original artists intention. It's a new separate work that can accompany the original. It's like saying Gaga shouldn't be dressing up as Venus and call herself Botticelli babe because it's bastardizing the original painting. Art is always being manipulated into a new form - whether it's a 500 year old painting or a week old TV show. If it wasn't being manipulated and shared in new forms it would eventually just sit there stagnate.

Manipulation of art is it's own art though. Andy Warhol made a career out of it! Every single remix of a song made is manipulation of art as well - it's not the original artists intention. It's a new separate work that can accompany the original. It's like saying Gaga shouldn't be dressing up as Venus and call herself Botticelli babe because it's bastardizing the original painting. Art is always being manipulated into a new form - whether it's a 500 year old painting or a week old TV show. If it wasn't being manipulated and shared in new forms it would eventually just sit there stagnate.

This type of editing is more like misquoting someone.

There is a distinct difference between taking inspiration from something, and editting/cropping out part of a video/painting to send a certain message.

It has nothing to do with the original. And that's the problem.

Donatello

But not if their full message isn't being shown.

'Full message', 'misquoting', AHS isn't a speech. Nobody is watching this to write a thesis. What about viewers who miss a episode? Is it a crime for them to watch the next episode, without catching up, to get the 'full message'?

To add to @Dayman's reply, I'd like to mention editing this isn't as easy as giving all the screentime to Gaga i.e. just 'cropping'. It requires watching/interpreting the full episode and careful selection of what non-Gaga bits to include whilst still giving plot sense and prominent screentime to Gaga. It's a curation and a remix of various clips from the original.

And even if it was just a 'crop', that's art too. If random scribble can be art, so can a crop.

Archived