Harlequin - OUT SEPTEMBER 27th
Harlequin - OUT SEPTEMBER 27th
news

AHS's Costume Designer Talks Dressing Gaga

bradshaw

Featured Posts

bradshaw

AwKWp8F.gif

"For the new season, American Horror Story: Hotel (which premieres October 7 at 10 p.m. on FX), Eyrich is transforming Lady Gaga into the part of a couture-addicted, blood-sucking countess who runs the haunted hotel in which all sorts of murder and depravity go down. And given AHS's history of cult-making, show-stealing fashion — think Lange’s satin blue “Life on Mars” pantsuit in season 4’s Freak Show or the glamorous gang of witches in season 3’s Coven — we expect things to be epic."

How is Hotel different from previous seasons?

"Coven was very modern and stylized. And Freak Show, even though it was faded and worn, was very colorful. This season, the setting is a hotel, and it’s all burgundies and golds. It’s more high-fashion, but there’s a kind of timelessness — you can’t quite tell if it's modern or period. We mix a lot of old — '30s, '70s, '80s, and '90s — with different characters wearing clothes from different eras, so it feels like you’re stuck in time inside this hotel."

The owner of the hotel is Lady Gaga's character, who is this larger-than-life vampire. Was it tricky separating the two personalities?

"It wasn’t hard at all: Lady Gaga was so into her character — she’d done her homework — so it was really fun to collaborate with her. And this was a big opportunity for her to get to show herself as somebody other than Lady Gaga. So I think it was exciting for both of us to discover who the countess was."

I think high fashion works for vampires, since they’re often supposed to be seductive and sort of cosmopolitan. I definitely get that vibe from Gaga’s costumes, especially this one shocking-pink 1940s-style dress…

"Oh yes, Ryan wanted this dramatic gown with either a big, long train or a lot of extra fabric that would billow in the wind, because in that scene, she was going to be moving through this series of lampposts outside [the Los Angeles County Museum of Art]. The designer, Michael Costello, made the dress in a day, maybe two. Ryan wanted it in a brilliant color, like red, but we had just shot a scene in a red dress; I had Michael come up with some sketches, and Ryan loved the fuschia, so that’s what we ended up with."

Anything else you can share about the new season?

"Well, Gaga was so generous and offered to bring pieces in from her own personal archive. So let’s just say that her fans are going to get a big treat when they see something that I'm not going to give away!" (Armadillo Heels???! :wao:)

read more here: http://www.refinery29.com/lady-gaga-costumes-american-horror-story

i caught your fever, i'll be feeling it forever

LaMaisonGaga

always adored Lou Eyrich :giveup: loved her costume design for Kurt Hummel from Glee

lamaisongaga.com

PrinceGaga

Inb4 all the langue fans complain that the countess is too Gaga when she wears her own fashion :rip: 

in before she wears her penis heels

dildo shoes?? :party:

Let's take a moment to appreciate Gaga and this fan base for these expectations :air:

djBuffoon

Inb4 all the langue fans complain that the countess is too Gaga when she wears her own fashion :rip: 

I'm actually skeptical of this. Hopefully the scripts, acting and design all work together to create something that is very un-Gaga. 

elijahfan

Already posted in the main AHS thread.

Come on.... We have a whole area dedicated to AHS on this site, I'm fairly sure this deserved its own thread.

bradshaw

Already posted in the main AHS thread.

Mess! Sorry, I'm new here and did not notice. I randomly saw the article when googling Gaga. :air:

i caught your fever, i'll be feeling it forever

Mess! Sorry, I'm new here and did not notice. I randomly saw the article when googling Gaga. :air:

It's okay! I'm just pointing it out. :yes: 

Archived