Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

The misunderstandings of the "ARTPOP" concept are hilarious

XoXoJoanneGaga

Featured Posts

XoXoJoanneGaga

I disagree on the compressed sound of the album...to me it sounds pretty full and immersive. It's sharp and precise production-wise.

There are moments where the "immersive 3d" sound that Gaga intended for the album shine through, mainly on the singles which were clearly given more care, and the title track to an extent (although this song still falls a bit flat). For the most part the album is poorly mixed to the point where stems are buried and jumbled and the vocals sound dissonant. And in regards to 1989 I'm not implying it's a brilliant album or anything, but from a standpoint of pop and commercial appeal (which is one of the main topics here) it's produced in a way where everything sounds pleasant and well-mixed, everyhing hits right and the vocals are exceptionally well-produced, all of which leads to a wider appeal. If 1989 was mixed by ARTPOP's engineers it would have fared much worse.

Sorry if I messed up the quote format and my posts are rambling, this is tough on mobile lol

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
JusKeepBreathin

There are moments where the "immersive 3d" sound that Gaga intended for the album shine through, mainly on the singles which were clearly given more care, and the title track. For the most part the album is poorly mixed to the point where stems are buried and jumbled and the vocals sound dissonant. And in regards to 1989 I'm not implying it's a brilliant album or anything, but from a standpoint of pop and commercial appeal (which is one of the main topics here) it's produced in a way where everything sounds pleasant and well-mixed, everyhing hits right and the vocals are exceptionally well-produced, all of which leads to a wider appeal. If 1989 was mixed by ARTPOP's engineers it would have fared much worse.

Sorry if I messed up the quote format and my posts are rambling, this is tough on mobile lol

Its always fun to see the OP contradicting his original post.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.

Chromatislaps

I I think if gagz had released an album like Biophilia that it would definitely fit the term ARTPOP, now that name is just a vague term to convey putting art visuals into a pop frame, which kind of isn't really different than what she did with the fame. Chartwise ARTPOP was kind of dated to perform that well (except Applause which sounds fresh till this day and DWUW), eventho it was very well produced, a bit too vacuum packed for my tastes. But the as a whole it's not experimental at all, its very much a pop record that doesn't sound like the Taylor Swift generic beats that every bubblegum teen bop popstar uses. If Gaga truly wants to go ARTPOP she should upfront her music a bit more: make a Bohemian Rhapsody like track or something reminiscent of Björk in a new jacket

Versace

Thank you so much i agree on every point, i've always viewed Gaga as a commercial artist which doesn't downgrade her music nor her artistry. 

XoXoJoanneGaga

The tweets were in fact about Gaga. Look it up. Your assumption that I don't listen to all kinds of music just because I don't agree with you is really just sad. Stay pressed hater. :proud:

I know they were about Gaga, like I said they bear no relevance to this discussion or any discussion. He's just saying he respects her for releasing music she believes in, there's nothing in there pertaining to musical riskiness .

There's nothing to disagree on here, whether a song is risky or not isn't subjective. But it's evident you don't have the maturity level or critical thinking skills to comprehend that or the point of my post.

XoXoJoanneGaga

I I think if gagz had released an album like Biophilia that it would definitely fit the term ARTPOP, now that name is just a vague term to convey putting art visuals into a pop frame, which kind of isn't really different than what she did with the fame. Chartwise ARTPOP was kind of dated to perform that well (except Applause which sounds fresh till this day and DWUW), eventho it was very well produced, a bit too vacuum packed for my tastes. But the as a whole it's not experimental at all, its very much a pop record that doesn't sound like the Taylor Swift generic beats that every bubblegum teen bop popstar uses. If Gaga truly wants to go ARTPOP she should upfront her music a bit more: make a Bohemian Rhapsody like track or something reminiscent of Björk in a new jacket

Agreed on every point. Gaga's music will always be commercially inclined but I'm confident she can and will make bolder and more well-written music within those confines again.

AlexanderMagno

One second Gaga doesn't care about being commercial or safe music, suddenly she's all about radio-friendly music.

Let's stop giving excuses for Gaga or her music. She talks about taking musical and career risks all the time, how can anyone say she doesn't? I do agree she is much more commercial than some fans think, but I also think she sometimes sounds very hypocrite for preaching the opposite.

I agree with your point of view. But for me those pretentious fans and Gaga give her credit for ideals she doesn't embody at all

Versace

I agree in regards to all of your points except that i don't think Gaga should go "ARTPOP" like Bjork , without her commercial aspect it would feel like ART INDIE or ART ALTERNATIVE not ARTPOP. POP has to be commercial for me at least, POP was based around the idea of Popularity. Mainly if something is popular it is because it's relatable. If we think about it Gaga has always been ARTPOP since day 1 which is for me something that is artistic yet popular something unique yet relatable something commercial yet experimental. 

XoXoJoanneGaga

Its always fun to see the OP contradicting his original post.

Where do you suggest that I did that?

JusKeepBreathin

I know they were about Gaga, like I said they bear no relevance to this discussion or any discussion. He's just saying he respects her for releasing music she believes in, there's nothing in there pertaining to musical riskiness .

There's nothing to disagree on here, whether a song is risky or not isn't subjective. But it's evident you don't have the maturity level or critical thinking skills to comprehend that or the point of my post.

I think you have missed the point completely about ARTPOP its about creating art in popular music. Creating music that can be played in a top 40 radio format but with a creativity that is not present in the traditional pop record. Saying that ARTPOP is only about visuals and performance art maybe be part of its message but it not the all of it. Again calling me names and saying that I don't have reading comprehension just because i don't agree with your post actually speaks volumes on the level of your maturity than it does mine.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.

XoXoJoanneGaga

I think you have missed the point completely about ARTPOP its about creating art in popular music. Creating music that can be played in a top 40 radio format but with a creativity that is not present in the traditional pop record. Saying that ARTPOP is only about visuals and performance art maybe be part of its message but it not the all of it. Again calling me names and saying that I don't have reading comprehension just because i don't agree with your post actually speaks volumes on the level of your maturity than it does mine.

I called out your maturity levels because you called me a pressed hater for seemingly no reason, and your post had no relevance to the topic. This post is a lot more coherent and mature, but now we seem to be completely in agreement because that's essentially the same description I gave of the ARTPOP concept in the OP.

Yes, Gaga's music has always been more creative and inspired than the average top-40 pop tart (which is saying virtually nothing, but the point still stands). No, it has never been experimental, and it has almost never been risky. This isn't a criticism of her at all, it's just how it's always been.

Bette Davis

In comparison to the rest of the pop world I guess it looked pretty experimental, but when you stand back and compare it to music as a whole, it is super safe and commercial. I guess if you're used to Britney and Taylor then it probably seems super revolutionary, daring and different.Tbh I think Born This Way has more experimental and less safe tracks than ARTPOP. For example if Gaga dropped an album like Shaking the Habitual by The Knife, Vulnicura by Björk, or The Inevitable End by Röyksopp then I'd call her risky. It's not bad that Gaga makes commercial music, but it is funny when people claim that she doesn't.

Cold as ice cream, but still as sweet.

JusKeepBreathin

I called out your maturity levels because you called me a pressed hater for seemingly no reason, and your post had no relevance to the topic. This post is a lot more coherent and mature, but now we seem to be completely in agreement because that's essentially the same description I gave of the ARTPOP concept in the OP.

Yes, Gaga's music has always been more creative and inspired than the average top-40 pop tart (which is saying virtually nothing, but the point still stands). No, it has never been experimental, and it has almost never been risky. This isn't a criticism of her at all, it's just how it's always been.

You actually contradict your own statements in the OP. 

'Now they didn't actually succeed at that for the most part, because the songs would have been significantly better received by radio and the public if they were better produced and mixed (ala 1989) as opposed to being sonically jumbled and compressed-sounding, but that was due to rushed and unprofessional recording and mixing sessions, not artistic intention.'

The songs were intentionally produce and mixed to be an artist expression in pop music. The fact that you don't like the final outcome and perfer it to be more like 1989 which is produced to be a traditional pop album and not deviate in anyways artistically from the pop norm seems to contradict your statement. 

Gaga is playing with sounds and mixes that are not the traditional pop sounds in order to produce an ARTPOP concept that while being POP is also considered Art because it is outside the norm of what pop music is. She is trying to fuse two concepts that are on the opposite ends of the spectrum. No one is saying that she is the first to attempt to do this, but she did it convincingly through lyrical content and sound. 

You prefer your art to be either Bjork or Taylor and there is no room for a sound that tries to merge them both. Thats probably why you don't understand ARTPOP because to you music is only Art or pop and can't be both. People say if Gaga wanted ARTPOP to be experimental she should be more Bjork or Aka Twigs albums, but those albums are completely experimental and will never be pop music. Then here you say she should have produced and album to sound more like Taylor. Taylor sound( I like 1989) is pure pop and not really considered artistic. 

IMO ARTPOP was a message about both being Art and pop. She got it right. 

GloZell Green

:saladga::saladga::saladga: Honestly some of you need to stop using every single thread as your own personal place to fight with others. Grow up.

Lady Gaga | Shakira

Dominic

IMO ARTPOP was a message about both being Art and pop. She got it right. 

Really? :awkney:

I thought ARTPOP was about possibilities, then again the message could be about putting art onto the soup can. Maybe it means ANYTHING? Or it could be about giving back the power to the artist. 

Or is it just an album made to sell? STREAM APPLAUSE ON A LOOP! 

Music not the bling maybe?

I'm going to go for a reverse Warholian Expedition...

The hardest thing in this world is to live in it

Archived