💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

What's the greatest album cover of the new millennium?

Warholian

Featured Posts

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bette Davis

Another Eternity by Purity Ring :legend: Amazing album!

thanks! I'll def check it out :)

Cold as ice cream, but still as sweet.

Jesse Pinkman

is that a good "omfg" or not really? :laughga: 

no it's incredible! WWhoever did that cover put in a ton of effort. :worship: 

It's science, bitch

SEVDALIZA

no it's incredible! WWhoever did that cover put in a ton of effort. :worship: 

For the cover of Purity Ring’s second full-length album, the band and illustrator/Edmonton homegirl Tallulah Fontaine both knew they wanted to do something a little lighter than the cover they used for Shrines, which Fontaine also illustrated. Before they knew it, Fontaine was sketching s-x organs.

“When we were working on the gatefold art, Megan [James, Purity Ring vocalist] looked at me and said, “I feel like everything is getting too serious. The album name, and the band — can you just draw some penises and vaginas?’” Fontaine recalls, laughing. “And I said, ‘Yeah. That’s great.’ Though it did yield a lot of horrifying Google searches.”

Fontaine created s-x organ diagrams for the album’s gatefold art, including little ovaries and veins, and some of those went on to make up the bright planet that hangs in the center of the another eternity cover, pulling James into a sky pink sky. Corin Roddick, the other half of the band, came up with the cover concept, but all agreed that they wanted to complement the brighter, romantic music on another eternity with a sci-fi vibe that recalled the early 90s—when alien abductions were the rage and extra-terrestrials just wanted to ride around in your bicycle basket.

Renata Raksha, the fashion photographer who also shot St. Vincent’s album cover last year, took the cover photo of James floating toward Fontaine’s planet; then, Raksha assembled the final cut of the cover.

Fontaine is clearly a very comfortable collaborator for the band. “Almost always, I find the artwork she does for us is a picture of exactly what I was trying to say or describe with my words,” says James. “She encapsulates our atmosphere in her own iterations, but if feels like the exact same expression.”

A trip to the movies somehow validated everything for Fontaine and the band. “We saw Interstellar a few days after we finished working on the album, and we were so excited,” Fontaine says. “We were new to LA and the movie had all these sunsets and we thought, ‘This is exactly how we wanted the album to feel.’”

operating from another world

Jesse Pinkman

Hidden Content

Wow.. :deadbanana: 

I wish I was that artistic...

It's science, bitch

Sister

I did a search, because I haven't seen any in a long while that struck me. I found these enticing.

35103735.pngLove_Letter_single_by_Nick_Cave_cover.jp

1.jpg

Only the album art, not the music or bands.

The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Probglum

SZA_S-front-large.jpg

Everything_Everything_Get_To_Heaven_Artw

a3594759271_10.jpg

1035x1035-MI0003807987.jpg

81batPA-BrL._SL1500_.jpg

My name is yours! What's Probglum?

Riot Poof

BjorkVespertine.jpeg
In_Rainbows_Official_Cover.jpg
074e7f0446df3844d2f0e828d4ea000b.jpg
1301562629_51b3ftghmql._ss500_.jpg
Joanna_Newsom_-_Have_One_On_Me.jpg
regina_spektor_far_cover.jpg
51S9VHJFDJL.jpg
taylor-swift-red-album-1350575305.jpg
perfume_triangle.jpg?m=1383906570
Perfume_-_LEVEL3.png
Bring_Me_the_Workhorse-My_Brightest_Diam
ghost-stories-1400095149.jpg
36369ddc20c25f1db9e403ae7e9ddab1d7abf915
KatyPerryPrismCover.jpg
Azealia-Banks-Broke-With-Expensive-Taste
LadyGaGaBadRomance.jpg
gagaditd.jpg
music-560x560.jpg
611qkeLy0XL._SL1000_.jpg

Just my opinion tho. They all look aesthetically pleasing to me. I think Ghost Stories and Another Eternity may have the best album covers of the 21st century so far tho.

I'm not a woman. I'm not a man. I am something that you'll never understand.

StrawberryBlond

Christina_Aguilera_-_Bionic.jpg

Not even kidding. It's a really intricate design. For those who don't know, the physical copy fades and reappears as you tilt it. So, tilt it one way and you see her entire human face, tilt it the other way and you slowly see one side morphing into a robotic interface, it's amazing. It was inspired by the D*Face drawing of Marilyn Monroe where one side of her face is a grotesque skull (Christina has the image framed in her house and the guy who drew it designed the album cover). Also, on the image in the album booklet, there's a map of what each part of the machinery represents, things like acute hearing and unique sound, referring to the ways Christina uses her voice. I can't think of many great covers from the last 15 years, but this is always the one I think of without a doubt. I just wish the music inside was as perfect as the cover.

Archived