Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
music news

Billboard trashes Cry Baby

Fiona Apple

Featured Posts

Fiona Apple

Hip Hop Production nuances, check

Contrived story line (which is a much more distracting in this case), check

Simple songwriting, masked by said story line (although admittedly, the songwriting in Alphabet Boy is pretty clever), check

Similar Melodies, check

Their sound,the melodies and type of songwriting could not be more different ... You sound like you haven't even listened to the album. :miley:

Cry Baby has a childish sound with dark wave and pop style..

Born To Die has a sound inspired by 20s and 30s and it's not pop at all..

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
inuborg

Their sound,the melodies and type of songwriting could not be more different ... You sound like you haven't even listened to the album. :miley:

I've had listened to this album quite a bit and I like a good majority of the songs. 

That being said, the BTD parallels are pretty obvious. 

Thematically, they are different albums but its a common formula. 

I root for you. I love you. You, you, you, you.

Fiona Apple

I've had listened to this album quite a bit and I like a good majority of the songs. 

Well you can have your opinion :yes:

PartySick

Oh please nails.gif I like the album tbh. It's cute, dark, and fun all at the same time and the music (production wise) is amazing. I love how it all tells a story too (which isn't unique, but still interesting).

I'd give the album a 4.5/5, it's much better than anything I've heard from some at the top of the charts. I don't need Billboard or anyone else to judge the music I listen to :laughga:

R u 🌈? 🤨📷

PartySick

You mean how they're both kind of like a sound track to a story book, right? :yes: 

R u 🌈? 🤨📷

Zsolti

i am so leaving this thread :sick:

Please correct me if I make any grammar mistakes, I want to master English as much as possible.

AbuHassan1992

So I've never heard of this girl, but after going through this thread I decided to add my two cents, hopefully I will be subjective seeing I didn't know her from before. 

So I listened to the album from start to finish three times over the course of a week, and I like some of the songs. Some parts are awesome, like the it's my party sample and some of the hooks. I also like how the vocals sound lush and wide, kudos to whoever mixed and engineered the album. 

I don't know how young she is, but I'm gonna give her props for t least trying to create an interesting concept. Because it IS a concept album, which I always though was cool. Sometimes though, it came across as a little.. try hard? Like she was trying to cover as much ground as she could while still kind of repeating herself. Some of the lyrics I thought were pretty good, like the pre chorus in Cry Baby or some of the lyrics in the chorus of Mrs Potato head. I really liked a lot of the melodies, but most of the songs sounded VERY similar in terms of sound, melodies and her vocal delivery. Some lyrics were pretty cringe worthy, but she's young and it's a solid debut. I thought dollhouse was pretty bad though. it's like she's trying to come across as this really edgy, tortured girl from a seriously messed up family. I guess that's what she's going for, but to me she falls pretty short. It's cringe worthy at times. 

I normally wouldn't comment on her visuals because they don't really have much to do with the music, but I felt like she's trying too hard to be someone she's not, but I don't know.. It doesn't matter.

I enjoyed some of the tracks on the album, I think she has a lot of potential, I like the sound of her voice, and it's a solid debut, especially seeing she's probably pretty young, and just coming off of a reality tv show

AbuHassan1992

Why have one stand out track when the whole thing stands out? I've never understood the concept of people thinking all of the songs are on the same level. I think all the songs are amazing. I can literally listen to the whole thing and not skip a track. Why have a few peaks when you can have the whole thing be a peak? This kind of ideology just doesn't make sense to me.

I mean the depth is there if you look a little.

"Tag, You're It" is about s-xual assault.
"Mrs. Potato Head" is about self image issues.
"Soap" is about being too forward with someone you like.
"Carousel" is about being in a bad love cycle with someone.
"Syrup" is about depression and poorly coping.

Sure, she uses childish motifs, but it's incredibly smart most of the time. It's not just laid out there for all to see. You have to scratch the surface and actually dive deep down with some of them.

I disagree. i think the metaphors are WAY too in your face and obvious for them to be interesting. It would be better, in MY opinion, if she was more subtle about it. You don't really have to dive deep to see the meanings, they're right there

Swan Heart

I don't really like the album too.. Everybody here was prising it so much and when I finally gave it a listen.. well, it was quite.. uninspiring. Even boring. 

They say it's the last song. They don't know us, you see. It's only the last song if we let it be.

and rightfully so... shes so overrated along with halsey.

just some tea for this sunday morning.

omg why is princess is princess high my new nickname

Prometheus

People keep saying they're overrated but they literally just dropped their debut albums. I'm not sure how that works. 

Fiona Apple

She is so much better than Halsey

She is so much better than Halsey

I agree! But you have to admit, people really hype her up a lot.

omg why is princess is princess high my new nickname

Fiona Apple

I agree! But you have to admit, people really hype her up a lot.

Idk .I think that her album is the best album of 2015 tbh

Archived