Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
event

Yoü and I video was released 4 years ago today

ViviLittleM

Featured Posts

Happy birthday to one of her strangest videos to date. But I love it, really- the whole idea of the exploration of self to love the self before loving another conveyed through the multi-persona concept was pretty cool, if not a bit bizarre in the video's context.

it made me appreciate the song even more. although the narrative is loosely based on a typical horror story, it still manages to be complex. i remember playing some of my friends the video. they said that the song is really good, but they found the video really confusing. i tired to explain the message and the role of the personas—without much success, i must say. :toofunny: the most beautiful thing for me is that the video (of a song originally dedicated to old love) helped gagz find new love. if it's not magic, i don't know what is. :flutter: 

I agree. The introduction scenes in particular were very B-grade horror films. It's kind of funny how she mixed themes from the original EOG video concept (boundaries between love ie human cannot love a mermaid, the idea of experimentation to create it into a human) with whatever she came up with this one (barns, warring persona interactions, barn horror???). Weird-ass amalgam makes for beautiful visuals.

3 points in and ready for more

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
crisTEAne

Happy birthday to one of her strangest videos to date. But I love it, really- the whole idea of the exploration of self to love the self before loving another conveyed through the multi-persona concept was pretty cool, if not a bit bizarre in the video's context.

I agree. The introduction scenes in particular were very B-grade horror films. It's kind of funny how she mixed themes from the original EOG video concept (boundaries between love ie human cannot love a mermaid, the idea of experimentation to create it into a human) with whatever she came up with this one (barns, warring persona interactions, barn horror???). Weird-ass amalgam makes for beautiful visuals.

you put it so beautifully. :flutter: 

ikr, the visuals were spectacular. i actually study film theory and film history and, perhaps due to my background knowledge, was kinda shocked when someone said that the cinematography was sloppy. :wtf:

if you hurt taylor swift, i'll hurt you back

Evan Peters

Some of you are so negative, i honestly feel bad for ya'll :rip: 

ot: one of my fav videos :legend: 

emma roberts is an abuser

I love the video but could anyone explain some of the meanings because I've never really grasped the concept :laughga: 

you put it so beautifully. :flutter: 

ikr, the visuals were spectacular. i actually study film theory and film history and, perhaps due to my background knowledge, was kinda shocked when someone said that the cinematography was sloppy. :wtf:

I think the only part that kind of bugged me was the random filtered shots during the dance sequences. But, as somebody who doesn't come from a background of film theory and film history, that might just be my personal nitpicking lol.

It's beautifully shot, imo.

I love the video but could anyone explain some of the meanings because I've never really grasped the concept :laughga: 

Some of my own interpretations, based on what Gaga has said and how I explored it on my own. Granted, I've been known for being a severe reacher lol:

-multitude of persona all different aspects of Gaga, each representing something different but all correlating to love

-Jo = Gaga's perception of her then-ideal man (Lüc), and what it means to her as a person

-Nymph = main representation of "loving self before another", along with Jo

-The Cyborg = representation of Gaga's willingness to do anything for love (walking across the country in an almost automated state); also a representation of transformation, along with

-Yüyi  = as a mermaid, Gaga stated somewhere that while she cannot biologically have s-x with the scientist, it's instead the effort into making it work that represents love

[remember her tumblr photo?]

http://41.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_loa3im0JKi1qm0c6bo1_1280.png

-The Experiment = the other side of Yüyi's metaphor- that you cannot change somebody to love somebody- that you have to love somebody as yourself; Gaga stated somewhere "the more he tries to change me, the more magical I become" or something

-The Wife/mother = ideal view of love for Gaga, especially with the fact that she's wearing her mother's own wedding dress

-Barn Hooker = idk Gaga's bis-xual and gets dirty with all those women

-when I was in high school, I was really fascinated with that weird "fork-in-the-road" metaphor in the video, and thought it tied in with the mythological idea of a divine axis mundi, but in the video's context it being a sort looking glass for The Cyborg, in which it gets to see different paths of love, but choose one

-also, the ice cream man in the beginning seemed a bit odd; she's mentioned somewhere that it represented her loss of innocence, and only attributed it to s-xual abuse trauma/her being taken advantage of in retrospect after hearing her talk about Swine

-idk for sure how that'd tie in with the video, but my guess is that her perception of love has been warped by her experiences in the past

3 points in and ready for more

I think the only part that kind of bugged me was the random filtered shots during the dance sequences. But, as somebody who doesn't come from a background of film theory and film history, that might just be my personal nitpicking lol.

It's beautifully shot, imo.

Some of my own interpretations, based on what Gaga has said and how I explored it on my own. Granted, I've been known for being a severe reacher lol:

-multitude of persona all different aspects of Gaga, each representing something different but all correlating to love

-Jo = Gaga's perception of her then-ideal man (Lüc), and what it means to her as a person

-Nymph = main representation of "loving self before another", along with Jo

-The Cyborg = representation of Gaga's willingness to do anything for love (walking across the country in an almost automated state); also a representation of transformation, along with

-Yüyi  = as a mermaid, Gaga stated somewhere that while she cannot biologically have s-x with the scientist, it's instead the effort into making it work that represents love

[remember her tumblr photo?]

http://41.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_loa3im0JKi1qm0c6bo1_1280.png

-The Experiment = the other side of Yüyi's metaphor- that you cannot change somebody to love somebody- that you have to love somebody as yourself; Gaga stated somewhere "the more he tries to change me, the more magical I become" or something

-The Wife/mother = ideal view of love for Gaga, especially with the fact that she's wearing her mother's own wedding dress

-Barn Hooker = idk Gaga's bis-xual and gets dirty with all those women

-when I was in high school, I was really fascinated with that weird "fork-in-the-road" metaphor in the video, and thought it tied in with the mythological idea of a divine axis mundi, but in the video's context it being a sort looking glass for The Cyborg, in which it gets to see different paths of love, but choose one

-also, the ice cream man in the beginning seemed a bit odd; she's mentioned somewhere that it represented her loss of innocence, and only attributed it to s-xual abuse trauma/her being taken advantage of in retrospect after hearing her talk about Swine

-idk for sure how that'd tie in with the video, but my guess is that her perception of love has been warped by her experiences in the past

This makes a lot of sense! Thank you for taking your time and sharing your thoughts on the video :love:

freebit

This is my favorite vid of the BTW era. It's so dreamlike, and at times it kind of reminds me of something a rock band would have made in the 90s, like Nine Inch Nails or Soundgarden. It's definitely one of her most underrated videos. 

Archived