💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
throwback

Castro's 'Gaga Christ', the original ARTPOP moment

Tokyo Rose

Featured Posts

Tokyo Rose

DOARU.jpg

This painting by Manny Castro was first revealed in very early 2011.

It led to some interesting discussions across the internet, on Gaga's role as a messiah figure to her fans.

It also led to quite a bit of controversy, even appearing in the New York Post.

Castro+Press-NYPost+FINALv2.jpg

On February 11, 2011 [the day of the Born This Way single release], the painting reappeared as a massive fabric mural on a beach:

rJBZxG4.jpg

Was this Gaga's first transcendant "ARTPOP moment"?

I think this could be one of the many things that put her on the path towards her 4th album, ARTPOP, with it's explorations of art in pop culture.

Bleachella

Katy could never.

Why do you feel the need to bring Katy into a thread that has nothing to do about katy whatsoever? And yet some of y'all complain when people drag Gaga into threads that have nothing to do about her :deadbanana: 

I remember the painting but don't remember all this mess :wtf: 

It was/is somebody's avi here, isn't it? 

If you see me posting like crazy, I'm either bored or procrastinating.

Tokyo Rose

I remember the painting but don't remember all this mess :wtf: 

It was/is somebody's avi here, isn't it? 

I haven't seen anyone mention the painting in a long time!

But looking back, I think this very well could have been some of the inspiration behind ARTPOP.

Sister

Thee artist must be a member of this cult site, honestly. It is a work in study and progress, as is this cult.

The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

QUEEN of controversy

Who else but the queen would cause controversy doing nothing? :emma: 

If you see me posting like crazy, I'm either bored or procrastinating.

Gohan

Her nose looks bigger than the G.U.Y. single promo :neyde:

tryna go ask Alice, tryna catch that rabbit

KindaTrashy

I've never seen this before! I started to fully become a fan in summer 2011, and I'm sad that I wasn't around to follow all of this stuff as it happened. What a fitting painting (I think you can waive the sacrilege in art), from her image as a saviour, to the crown of thorns to represent her suffering. 

crisTEAne

it kinda looks like a warhol painting. 

Was this Gaga's first transcendant "ARTPOP moment"?

I think this could be one of the many things that put her on the path towards her 4th album, ARTPOP, with it's explorations of art in pop culture.

i don't think so. if anything, the concept behind TF proves that she was socially conscious since the very beginning of her career. imo, her obsession with the warholian ideal—art and pop with their respective spheres—isn't something new when it comes to gagz.

if you hurt taylor swift, i'll hurt you back

She has been mentioning ARTPOP since The Fame days. That's reason number 1 why I hate when people who loved her at the time called her pretentious during ARTPOP. I was watching one of the Gaga documentaries one of us made and she was basically the same person talking about how she was an artist and not just a singer.

Brooke Hoegan

Why do you feel the need to bring Katy into a thread that has nothing to do about katy whatsoever? And yet some of y'all complain when people drag Gaga into threads that have nothing to do about her :deadbanana: 

LMs always drag Katy / making comparisons what Gaga has that Katy hasn't and then get butthurt anytime somebody outside the fanbase compares them... mental sickness, that starts to be worrisome

tumblr_mab9pcjT5W1qhgj0co2_500.gif

Kabexuela

Love you too shugs

Archived