đź’“ DAWN OF CHROMATICA đź’“

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Music not the bling? Why not music AND the bling?

Kanye West

Featured Posts

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
KyliesChild

Yeah, it's pretty lame hearing her say that when all of her singles during the ARTPOP era were safe and played by the basic rules of commercial music.

Preach. I wish her music was more experimental, or at least more boundary pushing.

TheFame Monster

TFM was experimental Imo. i mean who would have thought someone would like a song that goes "Rah Rah Rah AH AHA" It's definitely a masterpiece. i think it's all about the melody.

in an interview during ARTPOP she said Bad Romance almost wasn't even released. It was a risk that she was willing to take and it paid off

VforVendetta

Yeah, it's pretty lame hearing her say that when all of her singles during the ARTPOP era were safe and played by the basic rules of commercial music.

They mean in the limits of pop music, of course it's not classical music or something, everyone that thinks that is delusional.

They mean in the limits of pop music, of course it's not classical music or something, everyone that thinks that is delusional.

What is experimental about Applause, Do What U Want and G.U.Y?

PartySick

Music not the bling means she's going to make music she believes in. Listen to her describe her song writing process. This isn't a game to her, it's not a business, it's her passion. It's who she is. She doesn't care if her single sells 10 million copies or 10 copies because she got to make music and express herself as well as share it with those 10 or 10 million people who bought it.

Music AND the bling is an oxymoron. What, is she supposed to write a verse that came straight from her heart then second guess it and herself and make it more basic and toned down for the sole purpose of selling it? :toofunny: 

You can only care about one and I'm glad she cares about the music. It's what makes her the truly amazing artist she is :yes: 

đź–¤

PartySick

None of Gaga's music is experimental, stop using that word people.

What even is "experimental music"? That's one thing I've never understood. How can music be experimental? 

đź–¤

Jesse Pinkman

Thats true but you have to remeber that the ARTPOP we have is nowhere near the original version that we were supposed to have. A lot led up to the final version and it wasn't Gaga's original vision at all.

It's science, bitch

VforVendetta

What is experimental about Applause, Do What U Want and G.U.Y?

Why are you giving me 3 songs like all music is the same to begin with?

Applause for example has very unique lyrics and the whole concept combined with the imagery is very unique for Pop msuic of today. 

DWUW not much imo, it's an Aguilera-like song from the 00s but it remains a good pop song.

And I don't agree the word experimental as well, it's music. I think ''quality'' is the right word.

Anyway since you find this clever let me make you the question. Which Pop music do you find experimental? (Inb4 Madonna so I can go  and throw out in the toilet now)

giskardsb

There is no guarantee of "the bling".  Someone can write a song that they think is a "HIT" ( which judging by RedOne tweets he thinks applies to every song he ever wrote) and there is no guarantee.   A Creative artist like Gaga is better off writing what she feels.  Sometimes it will be widely accepted, and sometimes not.  If it is, then the "bling" is a bonus.  If it's not, then she didn't sacrifice her artistic soul for something that still "flopped."  Some artists are willing to try to up the odds of the "bling" by continuously working with producers and writers that surf the trends and for whom the "hit" is the most important thing.  Gaga is not one of those, and shouldn't be.  Sometimes good songs come from that process, but more often is generic stuff that is simply designed to be  hit in the moment.   I'd rather have honest Gaga work that flops than Gaga singing some Dr. Luke hit she has no connection to, and I think that Gaga prefers that as well.

What even is "experimental music"? That's one thing I've never understood. How can music be experimental? 

Music that does not follow a conventional structure, length and is produced in an unconventional manner / state of mind. Adding an outro to a commonly structured pop song is not experimental, creating an album that is essentially rave inspired - lite yet gayish type of music is not experimental, infusing sub genres (such as : rock or trap for instance) onto pop music is not experimental, opening your song with a 40 second intro is not experimental, singing in wacked vocals on top of a pop melody is not experimental. The closest thing to experimental music that the gay audience is exposed to is probably FKA Twigs. Here's an example :

VforVendetta

Music that does not follow a conventional structure, length and is produced in an unconventional manner / state of mind. Adding an outro to a commonly structured pop song is not experimental, creating an album that is essentially rave inspired - lite yet gayish type of music is not experimental, infusing sub genres (such as : rock or trap for instance) onto pop music is not experimental, opening your song with a 40 second intro is not experimental, singing in wacked vocals on top of a pop melody is not experimental. The closest thing to experimental music that the gay audience is exposed to is probably FKA Twigs. Here's an example :

This is not NOT Pop(ular) music though, just saying. 

elijahfan

That cannot work. She's signed to a major commercial record label. Interscope is always going to push her to be a commercial success. Look at what happened to Born This Way's later singles and the entire ARTPOP era due to this. It sounds like she should be with a different label if that's what she wishes to do.

Every artist wants to succeed, and even the most indie band ever would lie to you if they didn't admit it. It's ridiculous to assume an artist would want his work to reach the least possible number of people, I mean just think for 2 sec......... Who would ever say "omg, I want my music to perform sooo bad"........

However, "music not the bling" means that success shouldn't be the sole motivation behind an artist's work. If it's working, then great. Gaga has always said that if she had never made it, she would still be singing in bars for 20 people and she'd be happy about it. The thing is she became a global superstar, so she bloody can spend thousands of $ on McQueen shoes and stay in palaces around the world if she wants to.

Thats true but you have to remeber that the ARTPOP we have is nowhere near the original version that we were supposed to have. A lot led up to the final version and it wasn't Gaga's original vision at all.

True, but she still sang that line every night on stage so :rip:

Archived