Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Would Aura have been more successful than Applause as a lead single?

Warholian

Featured Posts

LoveandMagic

Well, initially I would have to say no. However if the video had been a Beyonce featured sequel to Telephone, the video would have definitely smashed. Maybe it would have worked well as a second single? I personally prefer Aura to Applause, and I love Applause, but Applause is way more radio friendly and sounded like a hit song. No doubt that's why it was picked. Personally I would have rather gone Gaga's way (if that's what she wanted) even if that meant it flopped on the radio because I think she could have done a lot of cool things with the song and it could have really opened up the era. But it is what it is.

Just repeat to yourself, "It's just a show. I should really just relax."

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only think that I would change is the intro , if the intro wasn't that long it would smash, it probably wouldn't had the Applause longet. 

It would slay for sure. I know it sounds kinda experimental, however it was last right time to release something like it. Short radio version without intro would sell very well as a club banger. That's what made Just Dance and Poker Face big - noone really took this songs that seriously apart from nice party songs.

Married the Night

Aura screams flop. Thank god gaga had people telling her no back then. Applause was the strongest single choice off ARTPOP. I just worry now that she can do what she wants, she won't have people telling her no anymore. 

GloZell Green

I fell like some people would have just laughed at the song. I would've liked the song to be released as a single layer though, but the demo version. Then we could've finally gotten the end of the trilogy. Thanks interscope  :neyde:

Lady Gaga | Shakira

VforVendetta

No way, Aura has a very weird structure/theme and very rough vocals, it's not single material for a Pop album, especially considering the bad time in Gaga's career. Applause was a good hit in very bad circumstances. The media were dragging her, the fanbase was over a meltdown, the promo was not good and Gaga's team and Gaga herself were in a big crisis. Think that Applause got no promo outside of the US and Japan and it was a lead single of a Lady Gaga album. The performances were aranged in the last minute and there was no good radio deal. Aura could have had a chance after TFM, not after BTW.

I think it would have the same success tbh

If you see me posting like crazy, I'm either bored or procrastinating.

moonboywow

aura is a GAGA  song applause is another radio hit

yeah the ARTPOP era was disappointing. It was very safe music wise. Hopefully the next album isn't so safe 

Ursula Buffay

Nope. It would have sucked. Nobody would get the [HA-HA-HA-HA] part. Being it about Burqa it would have had a more negative impact than Judas.

Thank God the GP didn't hear it, now let's move on shall we?

Warholian

her even saying that a collaboration with Beyonce was in the works for ARTPOP

Did she actually say this or are you speculating? 

It was an interview she did in the early days of ARTPOP, when a interviewer asked her about the continuation of the Paparazzi/Telephone trilogy and she said that a collaboration with Beyoncé was coming soon. I can't find the interview but it's somewhere. 

Kevin Parker, Mac Demarco, Mark Ronson, and a stoned Lady Gaga. Need I say more?

Warholian

Just a question for everyone saying Aura would have been 'too experimental' for the general public, don't you think you could have said that about BR previous to its release? I mean, is Ra-ra-ah-ah-ah-Roma-Roma-ah really that worse than Aura-ah-ah? You can't introduce new musical styles to the public without taking risks. I think that's what a lot of the blame can be put on for the underperformance of ARTPOP. In every album Gaga released, a new musical style was introduced. But when Applause hit, it sounded like every Gaga song combined without anything new. People loved the adaptability of Gaga but Applause just made it seem like she was the same of person from the past 4 years. 

Gaga's always had the formula of having the first single TELL people what they want, and having the second single GIVE the people what they want. 

Kevin Parker, Mac Demarco, Mark Ronson, and a stoned Lady Gaga. Need I say more?

AbuHassan1992

Just a question for everyone saying Aura would have been 'too experimental' for the general public, don't you think you could have said that about BR previous to its release? I mean, is Ra-ra-ah-ah-ah-Roma-Roma-ah really that worse than Aura-ah-ah? You can't introduce new musical styles to the public without taking risks. I think that's what a lot of the blame can be put on for the underperformance of ARTPOP. In ever album Gaga released, a new musical style was introduced. But when Applause hit, it sounded like every Gaga song combined without anything new. People loved the adaptability of Gaga but Applause just made it seem like she was the same of person from the past 4 years. 

I remember back in the day, her fans cared more about Gaga putting out cool, weird and sort of alternative (by pop standards) music and interesting performances and videos. Nowadays,t hey just want her to look pretty and play it safe.

Archived