💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Kevin Bacon talks about gender equality in films

mucinex

Featured Posts

It is not just the free nudity, female characters are often very silly, male dependant and secondary. It's been changing, there has been a lot of strong and smart female lead characters lately

If you see me posting like crazy, I'm either bored or procrastinating.

nativenewyorker

I was just thinking about this the other day watching Valley Girl. They showed 4 pairs of boobs in the movie, lol. 

Movies always exploit the hell out of women's bodies but will only go as far as showing a man's ass. Kinda a double standard but it's not like full on vaginas are super common in movies. But full-frontal for women definitely isn't as unheard of as it is for men.

Society just views the naked male body as more vulgar, which definitely reflects on our views of women being naked. Like they're supposed to be on display or something.

Cocaine Heart

That is not an issue of gender equality. It's because of stupid things like this, when real issues occur they get pushed aside.

We going to boo

untitled

That is not an issue of gender equality. It's because of stupid things like this, when real issues occur they get pushed aside.

How is it not an issue of gender equality?

💋 Lead Me to War With Your Brilliant Erection 🚬

The Child

It's been changing, there has been a lot of strong and smart female lead characters lately

That's what makes me like the fact that the new generation has Frozen cause Elsa is a strong and lead princess unlike the others who depended on princes.

‘If religion be the cause of disunity, then irreligion is surely to be preferred.’ ‘Abdu’l-Bahá

That's what makes me like the fact that the new generation has Frozen cause Elsa is a strong and lead princess unlike the others who depended on princes.

Frozen is the most open minded Disney movie ever, it shows a Queen with no King and a Princess that discovers that love at the first sight is bull**** and you shouldn't get married to strangers :applause: 

SKANK

im here for it

as long as its not his :fat: 

Hah, he already showed his in Wild Things. Look it up, it's a cute little semi.

Miel

It's not huge, but it's definitely connected to the perception of the female body in mass media. I mean, what Bacon is talking about is only but a minor issue in the grand scheme of the collective objectification of the female body in mass media.

Yeah yeah men are objectified, too, but on a structural level women definitely get the brunt of it. Aggressive, heteromasculine ideals in mass media is overall damaging.

It is not just the free nudity, female characters are often very silly, male dependant and secondary. It's been changing, there has been a lot of strong and smart female lead characters lately

I agree. It's changing, but I feel like big Hollywood is getting it slowly, and getting the wrong idea of it. Sure, a girl punching is cool, but evolving form "s-xy lamp" to "s-xy lamp that can fight" is not enough. It's like characterizing a woman is so difficult, for some reason.

I mean, of course there's good. We get things like Steven Universe, Legend of Korra, and Mad Max: Fury Road as a few examples of really, really good overall characterization. But then we get things like Age of Ultron, Jurassic World (to an extent), and... well, everything else.

3 points in and ready for more

mucinex

people are so quick to say he's wrong and only women having to deal with any issues in the film industry about their bodies when there are films like magic mike around

I agree. It's changing, but I feel like big Hollywood is getting it slowly, and getting the wrong idea of it. Sure, a girl punching is cool, but evolving form "s-xy lamp" to "s-xy lamp that can fight" is not enough. It's like characterizing a woman is so difficult, for some reason.

I mean, of course there's good. We get things like Steven Universe, Legend of Korra, and Mad Max: Fury Road as a few examples of really, really good overall characterization. But then we get things like Age of Ultron, Jurassic World (to an extent), and... well, everything else.

Hunger Games is the ultimate example of a movie that criticizes what you are saying. They take Katniss, this normal girl from a poor city that is fierce and all and for the sake of make an impression for the audience they s-xualize her to make this "hot girl who can shoot an arrow like an ace"

Archived