💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Taylor Swift covers Vanity Fair, criticizes Spotify

Neal

Featured Posts

LoveandMagic

I think Taylor's rant would have affected all artists signed. Her point was not just about her being paid, but everyone, especially the young artists trying to make it. Gaga would be getting paid during the trial periods and it would have been because of Taylor. Not that it really matters because without apple music, Gaga obviously wouldn't be paid (since it wound't exist), and with it, people can still listen for free on Spotify so it literally comes down to nothing. I don't really know where I sit in the argument. I'm somewhere in between :shrug: 

I hope I made sense too haha.

Lol, thanks for explaining.

Just repeat to yourself, "It's just a show. I should really just relax."

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
StrawberryBlond

I'm literally starting to feel like you won't get a good night's sleep until Taylor has some sort of Lotus sized era.

In a way, yes. Having a flop era could actually humble her and make her music better. She's never known anything other than success for a decade, so it's going to have to end sometime soon. Madonna and Mariah experienced their big fall from grace after a decade's worth of success. I'm sure Taylor won't be much different. Once fans start to think their fave is untouchable, which Taylor's fans currently believe, you know the downfall isn't far off.

“My fears were that I would be looked at as someone who just whines and rants about this thing that no one else is really ranting about.”

And you've succeeded. Already comments are flooding in to all the various channels that are reporting this story and they're all negative. Most comments consist of "She needs to shut up about this now," "i thought she supporting the little guy in music but she just insulted the little guy in the streaming world," "Apple will just get the money back by upping our subscription fees," "Go away with your awful music you spoilt child," and this gem "Any chance that the music industry can pull the plug on this pathetic, over-rated little witch?"

In the words of Clifford from Spiceworld: "Here we go - backlash has started." And its been working subtely for a while now. But that Nicki fight on Twitter opened the floodgates and less people are holding back now. Taylor, if you don't get over this thing right now, you're going to really struggle in the near future. Your mask is slipping, the public is losing patience with your image of perfection and untouchable nature.

Taylor should study up on the backlash Metallica and others got when they campaigned against Napster. It's one thing to be anti-Spotify, but if she ends up looking like a rich star trying to crush free ad-supported streaming and make everyone pay $10 a month, her name will be mud. 

Kayla

I love how Vanity Fair did the text on the cover! Very unique idea to slant it and make it work with the image like that. 

Kacey Elizabeth

I have a slightly off topic question: did Gaga join Apple before or after Taylor criticized them? No shade meant in anyway, it's just a question.

I think she was joined (or had in mind to join) before Taylor's beef with Apple.

Your Candy Perfume Girl

StrawberryBlond

Taylor should study up on the backlash Metallica and others got when they campaigned against Napster. It's one thing to be anti-Spotify, but if she ends up looking like a rich star trying to crush free ad-supported streaming and make everyone pay $10 a month, her name will be mud. 

Exactly. Metallica's sales declined after they went anti-Napster. It was around this time that the public started to make a point of saying that maybe artists had more than enough money already. Up until this point, the public had always supported artists and believed they should get paid more and so on but with the advent of digital downloading and the likes of Napster and the subsequent hating of it by the music industry, opinion started to change. Now with streaming lighting the way, these opinions have only become more widespread and more adamant. We are now raising a generation who even questions the point of paying for music at all. And Taylor has a lot of young fans, many of which are growing up in this generation and they will not take kindly to her wanting to take away their privilages. Like you said, if she's just anti-Spotify, that's one thing, but she seems to want to put an end to all free streaming sites, even ones that do have some subscription models and pay artists some compensation. That's basically telling the public that they ought to feel guilty for using these services. Guilt-tripping people for illegally downloading? Fair enough, it's illegal. But guilt-tripping them for listening to music for free in totally legal ways? You're walking on thin ice. As one commenter on the article said: "Everytime this girl talks down other artists or big companies, it only makes me want to support them more. I didn't have much of an opinion on Taylor before now but after listening to her bullying Katy Perry and whining about Spotify not giving her enough money, I suddenly feel a strong urge to buy a premium Spotify subscription and buy all of Katy's albums."

Redstreak

Exactly. Metallica's sales declined after they went anti-Napster. It was around this time that the public started to make a point of saying that maybe artists had more than enough money already. Up until this point, the public had always supported artists and believed they should get paid more and so on but with the advent of digital downloading and the likes of Napster and the subsequent hating of it by the music industry, opinion started to change. Now with streaming lighting the way, these opinions have only become more widespread and more adamant. We are now raising a generation who even questions the point of paying for music at all. And Taylor has a lot of young fans, many of which are growing up in this generation and they will not take kindly to her wanting to take away their privilages. Like you said, if she's just anti-Spotify, that's one thing, but she seems to want to put an end to all free streaming sites, even ones that do have some subscription models and pay artists some compensation. That's basically telling the public that they ought to feel guilty for using these services. Guilt-tripping people for illegally downloading? Fair enough, it's illegal. But guilt-tripping them for listening to music for free in totally legal ways? You're walking on thin ice. As one commenter on the article said: "Everytime this girl talks down other artists or big companies, it only makes me want to support them more. I didn't have much of an opinion on Taylor before now but after listening to her bullying Katy Perry and whining about Spotify not giving her enough money, I suddenly feel a strong urge to buy a premium Spotify subscription and buy all of Katy's albums."

As if that comment isn't coming from a biased place. Most people are not viewing her as "bullying" Katy, if anything Katy's tweet during the Nicki incident got her some backlash, not Taylor. She spoke up about Spotify multiple times before 1989 released and it's still her biggest era. The only people she might be "losing" are the people who already didn't really care for her. She hasn't lost any fans, her huge fan base is still supporting her and helping her possibly go #1 this week. And as for Metallica comparisons.

http://www.onthecomeuptv.com/why-taylor-swift-vs-apple-is-different-from-metallica-vs-napster/

Take a moment to think of just flexibility, love, and trust~

StrawberryBlond

As if that comment isn't coming from a biased place. Most people are not viewing her as "bullying" Katy, if anything Katy's tweet during the Nicki incident got her some backlash, not Taylor. She spoke up about Spotify multiple times before 1989 released and it's still her biggest era. The only people she might be "losing" are the people who already didn't really care for her. She hasn't lost any fans, her huge fan base is still supporting her and helping her possibly go #1 this week. And as for Metallica comparisons.

http://www.onthecomeuptv.com/why-taylor-swift-vs-apple-is-different-from-metallica-vs-napster/

I don't think it's that biased. I feel the same way. I've always felt the same way. Admittedly, I thought the public perception of Taylor bullying Katy should have been more widespread, but it is occuring and not just from Katy's fans. I'm saying this as someone who has a love/hate relationship with Katy and think she's had some undeserved success because even I think she did nothing wrong here, she just did what a lot of artists do in the industry and Taylor needlessly overreacted. And actually, I've seen nothing but praise for Katy's tweet and the pointing out of the hypocrisy of Taylor's actions. It's the most recent taking down of Apple that got a lot of people's danders up and think she's gone too far. The recent people buying her album are not fans, they're the public who have come round to her, it's not the result of her fanbase after 9 months. And I don't quite agree with the article. Metallica was annoyed because they weren't getting any money from Napster. Taylor was annoyed because she wasn't getting enough money from Spotify. I think that difference paints Taylor in a much worse light. I totally get annoyance at having your work out there for free for the rest of time with no compensation. But getting paid royalities but then complaining that they're not enough? It's ungrateful. She has to remember that fame can be fleeting. Years from now she could be begging people to stream her music for free so at least someone's hearing it. I'd say that to any artist out there. Most of them know this, so they accept free ways of listening to music. Taylor, on the other hand, thinks she's untouchable and I can't stand that attitude. 

Redstreak

I don't think it's that biased. I feel the same way. I've always felt the same way. Admittedly, I thought the public perception of Taylor bullying Katy should have been more widespread, but it is occuring and not just from Katy's fans. I'm saying this as someone who has a love/hate relationship with Katy and think she's had some undeserved success because even I think she did nothing wrong here, she just did what a lot of artists do in the industry and Taylor needlessly overreacted. And actually, I've seen nothing but praise for Katy's tweet and the pointing out of the hypocrisy of Taylor's actions. It's the most recent taking down of Apple that got a lot of people's danders up and think she's gone too far. The recent people buying her album are not fans, they're the public who have come round to her, it's not the result of her fanbase after 9 months. And I don't quite agree with the article. Metallica was annoyed because they weren't getting any money from Napster. Taylor was annoyed because she wasn't getting enough money from Spotify. I think that difference paints Taylor in a much worse light. I totally get annoyance at having your work out there for free for the rest of time with no compensation. But getting paid royalities but then complaining that they're not enough? It's ungrateful. She has to remember that fame can be fleeting. Years from now she could be begging people to stream her music for free so at least someone's hearing it. I'd say that to any artist out there. Most of them know this, so they accept free ways of listening to music. Taylor, on the other hand, thinks she's untouchable and I can't stand that attitude. 

well I would point out that she was sticking up for the lessor known artists, stating that it was her friends talking about it that got her wanting to say something, but that would just be a moot point for you. It doesn't matter what she says or how the story goes, you're convinced she's only looking out for her own pocketbook. I don't even know why I continue to quote you, you continue to believe your own somehow all knowing perceptions regardless of the amount of evidence that goes against it :shrug: 

Kacey Elizabeth

well I would point out that she was sticking up for the lessor known artists, stating that it was her friends talking about it that got her wanting to say something, but that would just be a moot point for you. It doesn't matter what she says or how the story goes, you're convinced she's only looking out for her own pocketbook. I don't even know why I continue to quote you, you continue to believe your own somehow all knowing perceptions regardless of the amount of evidence that goes against it :shrug: 

Let's face it. The whole indie artists thing was just there to cover up Taylor's true intention.

At the end of the day, Taylor's team, record label, and management (the ones who are making serious money off of her) are the ones pushing for this whole Apple and Spotify thing. I doubt Taylor even wrote that letter to Apple.  

Your Candy Perfume Girl

Redstreak

Let's face it. The whole indie artists thing was just there to cover up Taylor's true intention.

At the end of the day, Taylor's team, record label, and management (the ones who are making serious money off of her) are the ones pushing for this whole Apple and Spotify thing. I doubt Taylor even wrote that letter to Apple.  

but you have absolutely nothing to base your comments. It's literally fan fiction that you just made up. Your comments are as weighty as those who say Katy doesn't write her own songs that you love to argue against.

Kacey Elizabeth

but you have absolutely nothing to base your comments. It's literally fan fiction that you just made up. Your comments are as weighty as those who say Katy doesn't write her own songs that you love to argue against.

It's not a thing which I have made up. A lot of people think the same thing, actually. When you use what you have and know from the industry and Taylor and put the whole thing together, it actually makes a lot of sense. 

Your Candy Perfume Girl

Redstreak

It's not a thing which I have made up. A lot of people think the same thing, actually. When you use what you have and know from the industry and Taylor and put the whole thing together, it actually makes a lot of sense. 

No it absolutely doesn't it. :rip:  A̶ ̶l̶o̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶p̶e̶o̶p̶l̶e̶   pop stans thinking something doesn't make something true. I guess in the realm of GGD it is true that Katy doesn't write her music

Kacey Elizabeth

No it absolutely doesn't it. :rip:  A̶ ̶l̶o̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶p̶e̶o̶p̶l̶e̶   pop stans thinking something doesn't make something true. I guess in the realm of GGD it is true that Katy doesn't write her music

The funny thing here is that those people who say the same thing aren't even pop stans. 

There is a difference. Several people who have personally worked with Katy have said that Katy writes her own material, and is heavily involved in the process of writing and  composing her songs. Now, there isn't a exact proof which says Taylor's management, record label and team are pushing for this Apple and Spotify thing and that she didn't wrote that letter to Apple, but there isn't a proof against it either. So the possibilities are that the thing I'm saying might be true. 

Your Candy Perfume Girl

Whispering

Katy co-writes her songs, she just brings in professional songwriters to help her. They are listed on music industry publishing sites and in the album credits. That information is in black and white, but a Katycat wants and needs to believe otherwise.

The letter to Apple is obviously part of Taylor's mission. She has stuck to her guns on this issue, since she first decided to keep her music off of Spotify. Taylor really didn't know, when she made that decision, if it was going to help of hurt her, but it was important to her to stick to her convictions. If 1989 wouldn't have been as wildly popular (the most popular album of the year, in fact) and the singles wouldn't have done as well, her decision could have backfired, but she was willing to take that chance. People here forget that she simply has refused to hand her music to the free streaming services (even for three months), not keep her music from all streaming services. In this situation, the evidence is there. Taylor has taken this stand since the start of this era, and hasn't wavered from this position of believing that "music has value". 

Archived