Harlequin - OUT SEPTEMBER 27th
opinion

Is Sia being a bit reductive?

Dorothy Gale

Featured Posts

Dorothy Gale

I don't mean to burst any Sia fan's bubble, but a lot of her crazy outfits/videos remind me of Gaga. At the 2015 Grammys Sia wore a circa 2009 Lady Gaga wig that looked exactly like the wig Gaga wore on the cover of The Fame Monster. Her whole 'aura' if you will, is kind of like the mystery Gaga tried to create with the masks and the lack of details of her personal life. I just feel like she's kind of copying her, I mean they did both write for other artists pre-fame and both suffered from alcoholism.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dorothy Gale

I don't know about that but I think Sia is pretty terrible.

Terrible? I think she's okay, but definitely overhyped.

display name

I get what you're saying and all, and as a Gaga fan, it is an impossibility for me to look at Sia's more recent looks and not think of The Fame Monster, but to me, the wigs look like large versions of Sia's hair as we saw it before. I don't think it necessarily had anything to do with Gaga.

Dorothy Gale

I get what you're saying and all, and as a Gaga fan, it is an impossibility for me to look at Sia's more recent looks and not think of The Fame Monster, but to me, the wigs look like large versions of Sia's hair as we saw it before. I don't think it necessarily had anything to do with Gaga.

Maybe, I just know that when I saw 1000 forms of fear, I thought it was a deluxe edition of the fame monster and the "fears" reminded me of Gaga's "monsters."

display name

Maybe, I just know that when I saw 1000 forms of fear, I thought it was a deluxe edition of the fame monster and the "fears" reminded me of Gaga's "monsters."

Your comparisons are valid for sure. I just don't think that she was intentionally trying to be like Gaga or anybody else. I'm not too familiar with Sia, but from what I've seen of her earlier work, she's quite unique. I don't think she would compromise her originality by trying to emulate anybody else.

DrewStevens

They both have similarities but Sia is definitely not copying her. Gaga didn't create all those things, she made them normal and mainstream. 

RAMROD

She might or might not be?

14334263946510.jpg

She is cool with Gags, so I am cool with ha.

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ 𝚍𝚊𝚗𝚌𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚒𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚜𝚑𝚊𝚍𝚘𝚠 𝚘𝚏 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚗𝚒-𝚒-𝚒-𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝...! (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

Rat Boy

No, that was part of Sia before Gaga became the megastar we know.

​This tbh. Sia has always been the way she is.

"I am a Walmart version of Rat Boy!” - River

kevinthesheep

Sia is a goddess for all i care she could come out in a flaming bra and telephone tape and i would still stan, her songwriting abilities & vocals are insane and she is such a creative and sincere person, i highly doubt she intentionally copied gaga. 

Bebe

To expand on my previous point, these are some Sia looks before Just Dance blew up.

tumblr_nmmde6dfn21u3b782o1_1280.jpg

X7lqJhS.png

d3B0hn1.jpg

Nm5W5GL.png

XyFz6Vw.png

Sia has never really been "high fashion" like Gaga but she has always had a kooky style, one that has probably been shaped a little more by stylists now that she is signed to a major US label.

These are more Sia looks from previous eras although Gaga is popular herself at this point:

429038ca46daa17dd35d6429d328f39646e1ddc1

Sia_Istimewa_03.jpg

RodeckDanny

Well idk but at least she is really talented, i love her voice on the acoustic version of chandelier. 

Listen to my debut pop single 'Want You Bad'! (link on Insta)

RainingOnMe

No, that was part of Sia before Gaga became the megastar we know.

​This. People don't understand that Sia was already famous before Gaga came to the music scene.

Sia is Sia. She once said in an interview that she noticed the similarity she and Gaga has. But she did not whine or call her reductive. In fact, she like her

The Lady and the Legend coming soon.

Archived