opinion

They may have more commercial success but no impact

Quark

Featured Posts

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quark

​Oh no way. Rihanna has had a huge influence in music. After We Found Love Calvin Harris' career boomed and everyone wanted to work with him/everyone else was making similar pop/edm type music.

And here we go again. EDM was mainstream before WFL. I guess you guys only pay attention to pop music.

Yanko

Prove it?

​But she is not that impactful looking back at her accomplishments. 

All these other artists only have trendy hits or viral videos, buy they have little to no impact/influence

Being big and popular does not guaranteed impact/influence. Katy is popular but not influential.

you reduced everyone impact 

JoeMo

And here we go again. EDM was mainstream before WFL. I guess you guys only pay attention to pop music.

​That's not the issue at hand here and stop attacking me. I DJ, I'm well aware EDM was mainstream before Rihanna. I'm not saying she did it first, all I'm saying is that song had impact on the rest of the music scene.

www.youtube.com/jmremixes

Quark

​No, you only minimalized everyone's impact but Gaga's.

Your point was clear, but when other users show that a. Gaga is not more influential than "all other artists"; b. those other artists had more than "little to no impact" you can't bear to accept it.

How can you prove a point by not providing proof and by knocking actual proof off the table because it doesn't fit your personal opinion which is more of a wishful nature than anything else? You can't.

I don't even know what to say anymore, it's just always very exhausting to spend a lot of time and effort on opening up a discussion and providing new elements of conversation just to get slammed back with vague responses that just show an unwillingness to be honest. But I guess the joke is on me for carrying on so long.

The thing is that I am being honest. And I never said Gaga was more influential than ALL other artists, just modern current ones. You still haven't named me a CURRENT artist (not Britney or Madonna) more influential than Gaga? So my point still holds.

Quark

​But she is not that impactful looking back at her accomplishments. 

All these other artists only have trendy hits or viral videos, buy they have little to no impact/influence

Being big and popular does not guaranteed impact/influence. Katy is popular but not influential.

you reduced everyone impact 

I did not reduce impact because that is how I see it. The impact that they did have, I do acknowledge it.

Quark

​That's not the issue at hand here and stop attacking me. I DJ, I'm well aware EDM was mainstream before Rihanna. I'm not saying she did it first, all I'm saying is that song had impact on the rest of the music scene.

She had a big hit. But mainstream EDM songs were all over the radio at the time, so were is the influence?

Didymus

The thing is that I am being honest. And I never said Gaga was more influential than ALL other artists, just modern current ones. You still haven't named me a CURRENTCURRENT artist (not Britney or Madonna) more influential than Gaga? So my point still holds.

​That's because I reject your "CURRENTCURRENT" theory. It doesn't make any sense. But anyway, if I have to name a few: Adele, Amy Winehouse, Björk, Kanye West, Rihanna, U2 (probably doesn't fit your theory either), Arctic Monkeys,...

Yanko

I did not reduce impact because that is how I see it. The impact that they did have, I do acknowledge it.

​eyes you did "​But she is not that impactful looking back at her accomplishments."

no you dont "All these other artists only have trendy hits or viral videos, buy they have little to no impact/influence"

anyways im tired 

in conclusion from me: every big artist today is influencial in some way 

beyonce adele lana sia pink britney gaga kanye etc have all made some kind of impact and we should give credits where it's due 

Didymus

​Yes, as a matter of fact, Ray of Light is credited for bringing EDM to the mainstream :sis:

(In the U.S.)

Quark

​That's because I reject your "CURRENTCURRENT" theory. It doesn't make any sense. But anyway, if I have to name a few: Adele, Amy Winehouse, Björk, Kanye West, Rihanna, U2 (probably doesn't fit your theory either), Arctic Monkeys,...

If that is your opinion than that is fine. But I don't see most of those artists being more influential than Gaga (The ones that are do not fit my current "theory")

Quark

​eyes you did "​But she is not that impactful looking back at her accomplishments."

no you dont "All these other artists only have trendy hits or viral videos, buy they have little to no impact/influence"

anyways im tired 

in conclusion from me: every artist to day is making their own makr even if it's little

beyonce adele lana sia pink britney gaga etc have all made some kind of impact and we should give credits where it's due 

That is exactly right, CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE.

Jjang

That is exactly right, CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE.

​But that's the exact opposite of what you're doing. Glorifying Gaga's impact while discrediting others'.

Quark

​But that's the exact opposite of what you're doing. Glorifying Gaga's impact while discrediting others'.

You can believe what you want. I am just giving Gaga the credit that she deserves.

Didymus

If that is your opinion than that is fine. But I don't see most of those artists being more influential than Gaga (The ones that are do fit my current "theory")

​Well..

Gaga admitted herself that Amy is the reason she could have gotten famous at all. She redefined fame in the context of female artists who didn't fit in with the polished Britneys of the pop sphere. Kanye's style of hip hop and his alternative way of handling a rap persona has been copied ever since he became famous, Arctic Monkeys became the model for all major record labels to explore new ways of promoting a band (the internet), Rihanna has always been setting trends (and continuously) for pop musical sounds, Björk also did major contributions in bringing EDM to mainstream consciousness (since you don't wanna credit Madonna for it), U2 is incomparable when it comes to charity work and the addressing of social issues around the world,...

I listed people who have a lasting influence. The only lasting influence I can see in Gaga's career is her way of dealing with social media and the way she treated her fanbase in terms of automatic promotion and financial loyalty. That's commendable, and important, but ironically it's something you didn't even mention.

Archived