Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Inside Story on Infamous David Letterman 1994 Madonna Interview + Video

PopBitch

Featured Posts

aaronyoji

oh, so basically she's unprofessional, ill prepared, a brat, and a narcissist. didnt we already know this? 

Creyk

"I miss this Madonna.  Bad Ass, marching to her own drummer."

I'd given Madonna a pass a few times, but that was the moment I realized there was a certain down deep ugliness in her character. Still a fan, but now one with mixed feelings.

It was epic - King of 80's comedy vs Queen of 80's pop.

​What do you mean? She didn't do anything really bad here

dlioncourt91

21 years later and people are still talking about this. You're a little late with some of your "mess" comments. :whitney:

Whispering

21 years later and people are still talking about this. You're a little late with some of your "mess" comments. :whitney:

People are talking about it, because Letterman is retiring, so the press is bringing up old interviews....including ones that went wrong or that the audience found annoying.

Someone here didn't just pull this interview or information up from old sources. 

Omg Im cringing for her... What was she thinking?! If I was her publicist I would be fuming right now

​Why right now? It was in 1994 and she's brought the incident up years later already. It's not really something she or her team would care about at this point.

-

It's more odd that people hadn't heard of this interview :emma: I thought it was pretty known for its infamy - it's moderately funny and a tad cringey; but almost every major star is cringey to an extent :shrug: 

barcodemonster

I love the interview she doesn't care when the audience boos her it's funny. She also said that she was in a weird mood that day and tupac, her boyfriend at the time, got her all psyched up about censorship 

scan my barcode

PopBitch

That was silly lol. Why does she talk so weird now? She actually seemed like a real person here. Albeit a high and uncontrollable one :awkney:

​That's what I liked about it, the old way her voice used to sound before she became so affected in delivery.  She was high as a kite and just fvcking with Dave.  It was rock and roll back then.  Thank God all of the Stones and Beatles and etc. back then weren't always so politically correct or whining and apologizing all the time.  

Letterman had been baiting her all week in shows leading up to her appearance in opening monologues, making fun of her NBA boyfriends, etc.  Even the way he introduced her that night as far as mentioning she had slept with lots of big celebrities.  She went out there, very high,which was fun to see Madonna that way, as she usually was more controlled, and was going to give it back to him.

Also, it was one of the HIGHEST rated shows of Letterman's career.  He ate up all of the publicity and milked it for all it was worth on later shows in his opening monologues.

This is what Madonna had to say a couple of years later, in 1996:

"Madonna sent Letterman a fax April 12, 1994, saying she was "glad you could get so much mileage" out of the appearance. In an interview with Spin in 1996, Madonna spoke on the incident. 

"David Letterman knew I was going to do it. I talked to the producers of the show. Everybody was like, this will be really funny if you say 'f–––' a lot and they'll just keep bleeping you. Well, I came out and started doing it, and David freaked out. The way he introduced me was derogatory, so my whole thing was, okay, if that's how you want to play it, you cannot beat me at this game." 

"I regretted it right afterward because of the reaction. I couldn't believe how freaked out people were. But then, in retrospect, I was so glad I did it." 

"That's how I feel about a lot of things," said Madonna." 

androiduser

basically, what happened was - she was out of control because she was high, and later she tried to kill two birds with one stone and

a) say it was not a big deal because the producers knew, and agreed

b) say it was a big deal because she was rebelling

ad the reality is

c) she was an attention seeking brat high as a kite

PopBitch

A year or two later she made a brief surprise (to the audience) appearance, a walk-on, their first time seeing each other since the 1994 interview. 

She didn't appear for an interview until 2000.  She had had her son a few months before and was living in England half the time, so now had two children since the 1994 interview, and she and Dave discussed the 1994 interview and their perception.  She hadn't developed her phoney British accent full-force until her next interview with Dave in 2003 when she was now a proper British lady and promoting her children's books.  LOL

Here's their 2000 interview when she was promoting Music,and they finally discussed the "infamous" interview.

Archived