Harlequin - OUT SEPTEMBER 27th
event

Madonna Makes Music Chart History: Mainstream Media Ignores Achievement

Serendipity

Featured Posts

lego

@Jjang

Those videos don't come close to these

Different genres, all live. All amazing:)

FreePalestine

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jjang

@Jjang

Those videos don't come close to these

Different genres, all live. All amazing:)

​None of which are her songs, by the way. Still amazing regardless. The person who brought this topic up was merely discussing diversity, not who's the better singer, Gaga obviously is, but she's still not as half as musically adventurous or daring as Madonna, maybe she will be in the future, but as for now its a no for me. If covering songs from all sort of genres could be considered to be adventurous then Ariana Grande is the most artistically diverse out there.

Bjork, MIA & FKA twigs are all considered to be musical geniuses yet none of them has an impressive vocal technique or strength, same applies for Madonna.

Anyway, i'd put this performance on the same level as you've mentioned. 

lego

Anyway, i'd put this performance on the same level as you've mentioned

gurl no:sharon:

What does it matter if they're not her songs? She sounds fkn incredible in each one of them, which shows that many genres suit her voice - that is diversity and she can make rock or whatever non-pop album in the future.

FreePalestine

Jjang

Anyway, i'd put this performance on the same level as you've mentioned

gurl no:sharon:

What does it matter if they're not her songs? She sounds fkn incredible in each one of them, which shows that many genres suit her voice - that is diversity and she can make rock or whatever non-pop album in the future.

​Too bad, i actually would.

lego

@Jjang

it's ok that you like her more, but why are you posting that again??

That autotune/vocoder/whatever-voice-effect pop performance cannot be compared with Gaga's vocals in the jazz/rock performances I posted where it's often her and piano. Or where background music doesn't overshadow or hide her vocals. It is not on the same level. Try to be objective.

FreePalestine

Jjang

@Jjang

it's ok that you like her more, but why are you posting that again??

That autotune/vocoder/whatever-voice-effect pop performance cannot be compared with Gaga's vocals in the jazz/rock performances I posted where it's often her and piano. Or where background music doesn't overshadow or hide her vocals. It is not on the same level. Try to be objective.

Its not auto tune, by the way. its Reverb, an echo effect which Gaga herself uses a lot. And it wasn't just another "pop performance overshadowed by blah blah" give it a proper listen, even Gaga wouldn't have been able to sing on that key and in that certain pitch.

i dont see the point in comparing their voices (which is obviously the only thing you could argue against Madonna with) when we are talking about musical diversities, its ironic to call Gaga "the queen of music" when she has yet to write music that touches the quality of releases by many, many other female artists, including Madonna.

If you're here to merely discuss vocal techniques and abilities then the comprison should be done with artists like Celine and Whitney not Gaga and Madonna. Talk about being objective.   

lego

"A lot"

She's not using it in any performance I posted.

It's not only about vocal abilities, it's about Gaga being versatile and about who is better in the genres @Bad Bromance listed. And Gaga proved her diversity many times live. She's still young, she'll make her own songs in any genre she wants to.

Her renditions of Jazz standards sound better than any jazz song from Dick Tracy soundtrack.

Oh and I have to go back to this

"​None of which are her songs"

Yoü & I is her song and she did a jazz version of it alone and country version with Sugarland. Also BTW country road version shows she'd slay that genre too.

FreePalestine

Bad Bromance

​Madonna has experimented with all of the genres that you've listed. Do you guys know anything about her?

​Yes, Madonna did experiment with Jazz as well as R&B (Bedtime Stories album) and she sounded great but I'm sorry, Gaga's vocal talent is superior.  As well as Madonna can sing, her vocals, in my opinion, will never compare to Gaga's because Gaga is simply more vocally talented then her. 

Madonna could never sing Jazz like Gaga, nor could she sing a powerful rock track like Gaga did with the Rolling Stones, nor could she sing a Sound of Music tribute in an operatic range like Gaga.  I'm sorry if I offend you by stating the obvious but Madonna is not as vocally talented as Gaga.  That is a fact.  We can agree to disagree.

I don't care what you think about unless it is about me.

blacklistedd

Its unacknowledged because that chart is irrelevant. Kelly Clarkson has like how many #1's on the dance chart? Paris Hilton got a #1 on the dance chart for ****s sake. I mean its an added statistic for your "fav" I guess but no one cares. It doesn't matter if its Madonna or not. Like anyone besides some fans on this forum care when Gaga gets a #1 on the dance chart?

blacklistedd

​None of which are her songs, by the way. Still amazing regardless. The person who brought this topic up was merely discussing diversity, not who's the better singer, Gaga obviously is, but she's still not as half as musically adventurous or daring as Madonna, maybe she will be in the future, but as for now its a no for me. If covering songs from all sort of genres could be considered to be adventurous then Ariana Grande is the most artistically diverse out there.

Bjork, MIA & FKA twigs are all considered to be musical geniuses yet none of them has an impressive vocal technique or strength, same applies for Madonna.

Anyway, i'd put this performance on the same level as you've mentioned.

​Madonna didn't even get "musically adventurous" until about 6+ years into her career. It took her quite a long time to get to that point and even then I think shes by far the most overrated pop artist on the planet. That by no means means I do not like her nor does it mean she wasn't adventurous, but of course you are on some rant on this forum about how much more superior Madonna is than Gaga in terms of musicality. Which I think is bull tbh. You may not personally describe it so but I think Born This way was quite adventurous musically considering its fusion of genres, lyrically I think it had some clunkers but it by no means was a safe record nor was it less adventurous than a majority of Madonnas work. Madonna has had years and years and years of albums which equate to years and years and years of dipping her toes into different forms and genres. So technically yes she has been more adventurous, but because of the amount of years shes been in the business not because of quality. Lady Gaga is so unabashedly mainstream and at times corny so therefore there are plenty of people that refuse to give her credit where credit is due. I think shes far less basic than you give her credit for and I think while she may not be avant garde like Bjork, political like MIA or as aesthetically on trend as FKA Twigs, I think shes on their level in terms of integrity, risk taking, and authenticity. Its all relative to the game they're each individually playing.

Bad Bromance

​Madonna didn't even get "musically adventurous" until about 6+ years into her career. It took her quite a long time to get to that point and even then I think shes by far the most overrated pop artist on the planet. That by no means means I do not like her nor does it mean she wasn't adventurous, but of course you are on some rant on this forum about how much more superior Madonna is than Gaga in terms of musicality. Which I think is bull tbh. You may not personally describe it so but I think Born This way was quite adventurous musically considering its fusion of genres, lyrically I think it had some clunkers but it by no means was a safe record nor was it less adventurous than a majority of Madonnas work. Madonna has had years and years and years of albums which equate to years and years and years of dipping her toes into different forms and genres. So technically yes she has been more adventurous, but because of the amount of years shes been in the business not because of quality.

​I couldn't have said it better myself!  Unfortunately though, some of the members in this forum will not agree with what I've stated, with what @lego stated, or with what you have stated, for that matter.  It's fine though, we all have our opinions and we should be able to engage in dialogue.  That's what this forum is about after all, isn't it? 

To anyone who doesn't agree with myself, @lego, or @blacklisted, all I can say is that we have come to an impasse and we can agree to disagree.   :yes:

I don't care what you think about unless it is about me.

LoveandMagic

I don't really care about charts but I agree that I think the media does like to go all in at Madonna. Part of it's the genre, all the s-xiest, ageist criticism seems two-fold in the Pop world. Plus Madge is such a controversial figure due to her long history of outspoken-Ness, expressive s-xuality, and creative boundary pushing with her music and videos. She's an "easy" target for most.

Just repeat to yourself, "It's just a show. I should really just relax."

Riot Poof

Good for Madonna. At least the clubs still care about her.

I'm not a woman. I'm not a man. I am something that you'll never understand.

Archived