Harlequin - OUT SEPTEMBER 27th
music news

Inquisitr: Rihanna flops with new single: She's no Taylor Swift

Enhsa

Featured Posts

Emvee

How could a video have no effect on DWUW's success? Billboard counts vevo streams now. 

​Did video streams help Applause or G.U.Y. go #1? Plenty of songs don't go #1 despite having video streams. It's because they're not #1 material.

However, DWUW might've had a chance at hitting the top spot if Gaga had performed DWUW at the Youtube awards instead of Dope. But that has nothing to do with a song's hit potential and everything to do with correct timing and promotion. 

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gianni Versace

Yet another useless thread filled with highly subjective opinions trying to give "facts" about her new music.

Lol you guys can still try as much as you want.

Dorothy Gale

​Did video streams help Applause or G.U.Y. go #1? Plenty of songs don't go #1 despite having video streams. It's because they're not #1 material.

However, DWUW might've had a chance at hitting the top spot if Gaga had performed DWUW at the Youtube awards instead of Dope. But that has nothing to do with a song's hit potential and everything to do with correct timing and promotion. 

It probably would've been a top 5 if it had a video, it got played a lot for a short time, and then dropped off, but it definitely could've been a bigger hit. 

Serendipity

It probably would've been a top 5 if it had a video, it got played a lot for a short time, and then dropped off, but it definitely could've been a bigger hit. 

​This

Many eras exploded in the middle

irreplaceable

rude boy

not a bad thing

fancy

dwuw could've pulled effect like them

See talent here-->http://bit.ly/2eqeUxK

Emvee

​Do What U Want had every reason to be at the top of the charts. What hindered it was the R. Kelly collaboration and the publics general pushing away of Lady Gaga. They did not want to consume her, it didnt matter what she released proven by the fact that DWUW was easily her most accessible and infectious single since The Fame-era. She did little during the ARTPOP-era to persuade anyone to come back to her corner. Theres a myriad of reasons ARTPOP underperformed, but Do What U Want most certainly was a #1 song that never was.

​Listen, I love DWUW. It was a ****ing jam. But I'd be more inclined to say it had the potential to go #1 if it had gone AT LEAST top 10, which it did not. It peaked at what... 13? And that's because of pre-album sales. Just because it's infectious and accessible doesn't erase the fact that there were 12 singles performing better than it at the time.

Dorothy Gale

​Listen, I love DWUW. It was a ****ing jam. But I'd be more inclined to say it had the potential to go #1 if it had AT LEAST top 10, which it did not. It peaked at what... 13? And that's because of pre-album sales. Just because it's infectious and accessible doesn't erase the fact that there were 12 singles performing better than it at the time.

But the other 12 singles most likely had videos to accompany them. The importance of music videos on the current music business can't be understated. Would Wrecking Ball have been as big without its video? 

Emvee

​The DWUW era continued well into February and the reason why it ended is because people go over it. Not because it was somehow prematurely dropped.

But I agree, it probably would've gone top 10 with a video. Top 3 with a viral video. (no way it was gonna surpass Royal's/The Monsters sales and streams at the time) 

blacklistedd

​Listen, I love DWUW. It was a ****ing jam. But I'd be more inclined to say it had the potential to go #1 if it had AT LEAST top 10, which it did not. It peaked at what... 13? And that's because of pre-album sales. Just because it's infectious and accessible doesn't erase the fact that there were 12 singles performing better than it at the time.

​It has nothing to do with pre-sales. I'd argue the album didn't even do well enough in pre-sales for it to affect its chart position that significantly. it got there because people liked it as a promo single, heard it, and decided to buy it. but it unfortunately ended there.

Yeah, but the only reason there were other singles doing better than it was not at the fault of the song itself. It was the fact that people did not want to consume Lady Gaga. The media was being incredibly harsh about ARTPOP, she was being labeled a hasbeen, and people had already started pushing her away during Born This Way and ARTPOP was just sort of the icing on that negativity cake. All the while she was doing very little to persuade anyone to come into her corner. She was just doing her thing and rebelling against her management and everyone that wanted her to be fame gaga. It was like the only reason the era didn't perform well single wise had nothing to do with the music and everything to do with lady gaga the celebrity.

Emvee

​It has nothing to do with pre-sales. I'd argue the album didn't even do well enough in pre-sales for it to affect its chart position.

Yeah, but the only reason there were other singles doing better than it was not at the fault of the song itself. It was the fact that people did not want to consume Lady Gaga. The media was being incredibly harsh about ARTPOP, she was being labeled a hasbeen, and people had already started pushing her away during Born This Way and ARTPOP was just sort of the icing on that negativity cake. All the while she was doing very little to persuade anyone to come into her corner. She was just doing her thing and rebelling against her management and everyone that wanted her to be fame gaga. It was like the only reason the era didn't perform well single wise had nothing to do with the music and everything to do with lady gaga the celebrity.

​No, I wasn't talking about pre-sales. I was talking about pre-album sales of the single itself. Pre-album singles get a huge push because after the album is released, most fans are less likely to buy a single because they already have the album. That's why I'm saying DWUW already had an advantage. 

You know, I REALLY disagree with that opinion, which is very prevalent around here. Had nothing less to do with Gaga... people actually want Gaga to redeem herself... and it had everything to do with the music. But I'm not gonna get into that considering we're already really off topic here. 

blacklistedd

​No, I wasn't talking about pre-sales. I was talking about pre-album sales of the single itself. Pre-album singles get a huge push because after the album is released, most fans are less likely to buy a single because they already have the album. That's why I'm saying DWUW already had an advantage. 

Ya know... I REALLY disagree with that opinion, which is very prevalent around here, lol. ARTPOP is a good album, but it's honestly not progressive and it wasn't "2013/2014 radio-friendly." But I'm not gonna get into that considering we're already really off topic here. 

​Pre-sale = pre-album sales numbnuts. I know what you were saying lol I just completely disagree. I think if it were based on pre-album sales alone it wouldn't have done that well. Its advantage was not that signficant.

When did I say it was progressive? What does that have to do with anything? Why are you trying to assume you know how I feel critically about the album? And it most certainly was radio friendly. Theres literally no reason Do What U Want and GUY weren't in the Top 10 with Timber and Dark Horse and all that other basic **** that topped that charts within that time period because it was literally on par with all their basic-ness. Which further proved the fact that it was Lady Gaga the figure that caused the single underperformances and not the singles themselves. Because under any other circumstances a song like GUY and DWUW would be played on the radio ad-nauseum. People were just like **** Gaga.

blacklistedd

​people actually want Gaga to redeem herself... and it had everything to do with the music. But I'm not gonna get into that considering we're already really off topic here. 

​​Nah, at the time they did not. They were waiting with daggers to hear ARTPOP and as soon as it was clear it wasn't a drastic/dope shift in sound they ran to label it a failure and a trainwreck of a pop record. People were reaching to act like it was as abysmal as Bionic and MDNA or something. It wasn't even nearly as bad as people wanted it to be but they did the most with it anyway. Granted, I think no one is wrong when they say its her weakest effort, I certainly think it is. But as far as pop music at that time went, it was on par with all the other **** that was coming out by Katy and Miley and should've done as well single wise. But people were snubbing her and she wasn't doing anything dope enough to silence her detractors. Gaga had odds stacked against her and she didn't come out with something dope enough to change peoples minds. She is the reason the singles didn't do well, but under any other circumstances, the songs themselves were on par with everything else at the time and had every right to be at the top of the charts with ****ing Timber. I mean come on.

• Mills locked this topic

Archived