💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

celeb

Taylor Swift Says She Was 'Shamed' Into Staying Single

Cody Draco

Featured Posts

Cody Draco

Taylor Swift Says She Was 'Shamed' Into Staying Single
ETonline Jackie Willis April 24, 2015

Taylor Swift admits that her decision to stay single for so long had a lot to do with the media's coverage of her love life.

After being romantically linked to a string of famous heartthrobs -- Jake Gyllenhaal, John Mayer and Harry Styles -- the "Blank Space" singer tells Glamour UK that she wanted to give the tabloids something else to talk about.

"There is no easy way for me to engage with romance," Swift, who's been recently seen out with music producer Calvin Harris, tells the publication. "I'm really busy, so I can't. And it's a good thing that I feel really independent and I feel that my friends are all I need."

The 25-year-old artist isn't happy about how she came to this realization. "It's kind of a sad way I got there though, being shamed into it," she says. "What else is it when you have two boyfriends in one year and everyone's calling you boy crazy, making jokes about you at awards shows? That's public humiliation. And I don't think its fair."

In the same vein, Swift adds that she's focused on not being overly s-xualized in the already overly s-xualized music industry. "Every woman has different things that make them feel strong and powerful. For me, I don't have any need or urge to write about overt s-xuality," she shares. "It just never occurs to me. I appreciate girls who sing about whatever they want, because that's what they want to sing about."

While Swift's provocative quotes to Glamour UK certainly has her fans talking, she's also getting noticed for her cover photo. Look closely and you'll see Swift's famous, rarely photographed, belly button peeking out from under her dress!

During the 2015 GRAMMYS, Swift told ET something similar about her love life when Nancy O'Dell asked what her plans were after the big event. She joked that she was going home to her cats.

"I'm not going to walk home with any men tonight," she said. "Men get me in trouble!"

Source: https://www.yahoo.com/tv/s/taylor-swift-says-she-shamed-122000589.html

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Haroon

That's really sad :noparty: And it's true to be honest, they paint her out to be some promiscuous frog jumping from lily pad to lily pad, when in reality she's just dating like any other person :shrug: 

It's nice to hear that she doesn't feel like she needs a relationship to be content and that her circle of friends are more than enough for her - good on her for reaching a happy place :yes: 

Spock

I see no lies. The backlash after Harry was real and after Connor it was even worse

who will love me when the night is over

"What else is it when you have two boyfriends in one year and everyone's calling you boy crazy, making jokes about you at awards shows? That's public humiliation. And I don't think its fair."

They weren't trying to shame you into not dating - they were trying to shame you into writing more varied and interesting lyrics! The songs created the image of boyfriend obsessed Taylor, not her behavior. 

RabbitHeart

"What else is it when you have two boyfriends in one year and everyone's calling you boy crazy, making jokes about you at awards shows? That's public humiliation. And I don't think its fair."

They weren't trying to shame you into not dating - they were trying to shame you into writing more varied and interesting lyrics! The songs created the image of boyfriend obsessed Taylor, not her behavior. 

​

​Taylor Swift writes about her life experiences. To blame her songwriting for the way the media portrays her is completely unfair. She's pointed it out before, how other songwriters (mostly male) can write about their love lives without being portrayed as womanizers by the media (i.e. Bruno Mars). It's like calling Gaga a slut because her last two singles were about s-x. In addition, she writes songs that aren't about boys. Namely, "22" and the lead single from her last album "Shake It Off". The very first song on 1989 has nothing to do with her love life. The media created this boy-obsessed image and has people like you convinced it's her own fault by generalizing her songwriting material. Also, even if they were trying to shame her into writing about other things, it'd still be wrong. She can write about anything she wants. And obviously her current song lyrics are working for her, since her albums have achieved both commercial success and critical acclaim, despite you thinking her lyrics aren't "varied and interesting".

OpusDiaboli666

So was she also shamed into saying she would still be Single at 30 a couple of weeks ago in another magazine..lol..

Cody Draco

If she wouldn't make a career out of her love life maybe the media wouldn't care as much.

​I mean if I had such an issue with the media judging my love life I wouldn't date public figures.

Batwings

That's really sad :noparty: And it's true to be honest, they paint her out to be some promiscuous frog jumping from lily pad to lily pad, when in reality she's just dating like any other person :shrug: 

It's nice to hear that she doesn't feel like she needs a relationship to be content and that her circle of friends are more than enough for her - good on her for reaching a happy place :yes: 

​

That's the loveliest, most poetic a--logy for sluttin' it up that I've ever read.  :gaycat:

heavyMetalGAGA

If she was a true feminist, she would do as she pleases instead of trying to satisfy people who don't even know her. You can date as many men as you want and still be a feminist. I'm tired of these musicians trying to say they're feminists when they're not.

witchcocktor

​Taylor Swift writes about her life experiences. To blame her songwriting for the way the media portrays her is completely unfair. She's pointed it out before, how other songwriters (mostly male) can write about their love lives without being portrayed as womanizers by the media (i.e. Bruno Mars). It's like calling Gaga a slut because her last two singles were about s-x. In addition, she writes songs that aren't about boys. Namely, "22" and the lead single from her last album "Shake It Off". The very first song on 1989 has nothing to do with her love life. The media created this boy-obsessed image and has people like you convinced it's her own fault by generalizing her songwriting material. Also, even if they were trying to shame her into writing about other things, it'd still be wrong. She can write about anything she wants. And obviously her current song lyrics are working for her, since her albums have achieved both commercial success and critical acclaim, despite you thinking her lyrics aren't "varied and interesting".

Why people criticize Taylor and not Bruno Mars because Taylor is dating numerous celebrities who she writes songs about to get money. It's humiliating for the men, and the men deserve some privacy. She is cashing in on her failed relationships, and more or less always painting this image that she specifically is the victim, and the guy is the bad one. It's not cool. 

If Bruno got on with numerous female celebrities, and wrote songs about how they all were evil b---hes, yeah, he would get criticized. :)

Archived