opinion

Does Born This Way have fillers?

gagzus

Featured Posts

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PoshLife

There are some songs I don't like on that album, but I wouldn't call them fillers because I think she had a very good reason to include them. Like a lot of people don't like Bad Kids or Fashion of His Love (I like that song myself), but I'd say those are two songs that definitely mean a lot to her and that she really wanted to include. She didn't just throw them in there to increase the length of the album.

Himeros26

Bad Kids sounds as if it was written for the album, intended to fit the theme. Heavy Metal Lover has waay too much production to be a filler, and Highway Unicorn seems to be written from the heart. The only filler track sounds like Fashion of His Love. I have conflicting thoughts about WHO exactly it is about.

BeyerJ

No fillers. The only song on Born this Way I don't care for is Government Hooker, but I don't think it's a filler.

Prismatic

Fashion of His Love, The Queen, and Bad Kids (even though I LOOOOOVE the song to death).

I Only Stan For Risk Takers

Head Empty

Just because songs are less dynamic, less explosive, or more slow-paced doesn't make them filler. I think that most of the songs that are ever being called fillers aren't actually fillers, they're just songs that don't stand out to some of the fans. That doesn't mean they're not meaningful for the artist themselves.

Most artists have a ton of material to choose from, and most of the only some of it makes the album because they're forced to cut so much. So I doubt there's any need for "filling".

super ultra

HML as a filler? :sharon: 
I'd say TQ, FOHL, and BK (even when I love the lyrics so much :giveup: ) are fillers

SlaeUrAnus

The Queen and Bad Kids.

Apart from those two, the album is perfection. 

In my messy era.

SlaeUrAnus

Born This Way is 98% filler, such an overrated mess. :toofunny:

:awkney: 

In my messy era.

JazzGa

GUrl are you saying that HML sounds like a filler to you but not the generic bonus tracks that just re-use the chord progression and instrumental sounds from the title track like FoHL, Bad Kids, and BJ/AF? :smh: Just because it fits the theme of the album doesn't make it a not-filler, and just because it's near the end doesn't make it a filler. TEoG and You and I certainly aren't.

To me, a filler track is a song that fits in with the theme of an album TOO well, and has few unique qualities that make it stand out from the rest of the album, and it could only belong on that one album. So for example even though Americano is one of my least fav tracks, it's not a filler because it's certainly a standalone track that could go on an album besides BTW. It has a very unique flavor and the mariachi/Edith Piaf-meets-Robert Rodriguez sound isn't comparable to any other songs on BTW. Highway Unicorn, although I love it, could only ever belong on Born This Way. It was written specifically to fit the themes of the album-- unicorns, fantasy, motorcycles, gay equality, 80s throwback. It couldn't work on a different album or as a single, and only works in the context of the BTW album. So that makes Highway Unicorn a filler imo.

God created Adam and Eve, but Gọdga collabed with BrianđŸŽș and SteveđŸŽ·

gagzus

the vocal effects on Highway Unicorn totally kill the song for me

but I think most of us would agree Bad Kids is a clunker...although I think keeping a hard edged production on it could've saved it. the abrupt shift to a bubblegum chorus is just :wtf:

thematically it fits the most, stylistically no

​what vocal effects? she literally just has Reverb set to 1-2 seconds & the typical chorus effects with vocal layers, her voice sounds the same practically as it's sung live at the BTWB.

HML is practically ALL autotune which made it impossible to sing live at the tour hence why it was all played with backing track.

& I personally think if Bad Kids had a real guitar in it, looped or not & real percussion/drums it'd be awesome.

Jay.P

The standard version has absolutely no fillers. Maybe FOHL on the deluxe.

HML is amazing by the way, no way it could be a filler

Do you hear that? It's poison.

Archived