đź’™ HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT đź’š

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

After the events of the ARTPOP era...

gagzus

Featured Posts

gagzus

... and all the betrayals and her revealing her management was trying to control her- does anyone think Government Hooker is about this?

i'm just curious bc originally she said it was about politics in the US (which may be true) but i was just listening to it & it seems like she's talking about herself and other female pop musicians & how labels try to control their artist for personal gain. or maybe i'm reading into it a bit much? thoughts? :lana:

Supersonic

I think MANiCURE is more about this tbh. Government Hooker seems to me like a typical Gaga-esque metaphor for her idea of feminism and how that blonde, seductive archetype of women is exploited in the entertainment industry :meltdown:

gagzus

I think MANiCURE is more about this tbh. Government Hooker seems to me like a typical Gaga-esque metaphor for her idea of feminism and how that blonde, seductive archetype of women is exploited in the entertainment industry :meltdown:

​i don't see MANiCURE being about it personally, to me MANiCURE is just a fun pop song about dating & having a good time lol, mostly about Taylor.

Bradley

Government Hooker was written before the ARTPOP era though, in the Born This Way era she wasn't struggling that much like how she did in the ARTPOP era. So I doubt it was about her being controlled by labels or the media.

Supersonic

​i don't see MANiCURE being about it personally, to me MANiCURE is just a fun pop song about dating & having a good time lol, mostly about Taylor.

​I thought at first too but after her SWSX keynote interview it hit me, because she said something about her mangement and how she's not content being a popstar with no voice and just looking pretty and it sounded awfully familiar... Then it hit me like a truck: "Salon's enough for her, don't you feel so insecure." sounds a lot like something her former management would have said to convince her to become less "controversial"

gagzus

​I thought at first too but after her SWSX keynote interview it hit me, because she said something about her mangement and how she's not content being a popstar with no voice and just looking pretty and it sounded awfully familiar... Then it hit me like a truck: "Salon's enough for her, don't you feel so insecure." sounds a lot like something her former management would have said to convince her to become less "controversial"

​but aren't the lyrics "salon's enough for ha', not to feel so insecure" as in she feels confident and beautiful when she's all dressed up? And i remember her saying her management told her in 2012 when everyone starting toning down they just wanted her to be "pretty", hence why she always looked so made up with a face full of makeup etc all that year.

Supersonic

​but aren't the lyrics "salon's enough for ha', not to feel so insecure" as in she feels confident and beautiful when she's all dressed up? And i remember her saying her management told her in 2012 when everyone starting toning down they just wanted her to be "pretty", hence why she always looked so made up with a face full of makeup etc all that year.

​I don't have my ARTPOP booklet to check, I'm visiting my parents. :cry:

Nobody turned their Gaga-ness down in 2012 though, I remember this being the year where especially Katy went full ham with her teal/blonde/pink/lavender hair and Nicki went full pop with Starships and had her Roman Zolanski alter-ego oozing from every corner. Gaga said that the mentality of her management has been poisoning her throughout 2012 till early 2014.

I guess they kind of predicted that the industry is so oversaturated with those overtly Gaga-emulating antics that they feared for the next album to flop horrendously and lose their money because everybody would be over it, so they tried pushing Gaga in that "pretty" corner. At the very end of 2012 and in 2013 both Katy and Nicki started dressing more conventionally. But what they didn't realize that Gaga didn't use this as a marketing schtick, she was being herself and the industry exploited her personality to the utmost.

During the keynote she said when her management told her that, she just wanted to look more ugly and bizarre than ever (see: gaga's short lived venus era), because she doesn't like to be told what to do and probably didn't give a single damn if ARTPOP would live up to the commercial expactions everybody had in her. So I kind of always thought MANiCURE was pretty tongue-in-cheek, like a whispered "F*ck you" disguised as fun pop song

Archived