💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

How is BTW 'over-produced'?

Koreku

Featured Posts

Koreku

What do you guys mean when you say Born This Way as an album is over-produced? :confused:

You don't deserve a point of view if the only thing you see is you.

9000 layers of backing vocals, stems and things that kinda polluted the songs. But that's okay. The album still slays.

If you see me posting like crazy, I'm either bored or procrastinating.

Tbh it's only called because people don't understand the concept of vividly layered/complex/processed music for artistic effect :thetea:

Spanish Eyes

I'm about to graduate with a degree in music technology, and in my opinion, "over-produced" makes no sense. There was an overabundance of melodies in a lot of the tracks, which made it hard to appreciate them...and some poorly chosen instrumenations.

there's so much going on that it's difficult to discern each layer, you can pick apart each piece of TF but some songs on BTW are so muddied it doesn't sound distinct anymore

Spyro

I'm about to graduate with a degree in music technology, and in my opinion, "over-produced" makes no sense. There was an overabundance of melodies in a lot of the tracks, which made it hard to appreciate them...and some poorly chosen instrumenations.

​I'm not doubting you're right, but could you give an example?

Spyro the Dragon

Koreku

9000 layers of backing vocals, stems and things that kinda polluted the songs. But that's okay. The album still slays.

​Yeah, I figured people were talking about the over-lapping vocals but I think it really adds to the grand appeal of the songs.

Especially in MTN towards the end when she sings "the niiight, the niiight", all the different voices clashing together gives me goosebumps. :bunny:

You don't deserve a point of view if the only thing you see is you.

​I'm not doubting you're right, but could you give an example?

​Look for Hair background vocal filters on soundcloud and you'll know what he's talking about

If you see me posting like crazy, I'm either bored or procrastinating.

Anomaly

I don't find BTW overproduced at all. Most of the songs on that album are produced perfectly. The only song I can see as sort of overproduced is Marry The Night, because when you dissect some of the layers of that song, they really don't mesh as well as they could have (as amazing as that song is).

Spanish Eyes

I was just about to re-listen to "Hair" to make sure I was right.

BTW ****s on ARTPOP in terms of composition, but ARTPOP was better produced - each instrument was clearer and thus easier to appreciate. 

Also, it's not just melodies that are too abundant on BTW, but a lot of the tones just felt like white noise, almost too distorted. Think Americano, Highway Unicorn, or even Bad Kids.

Sorry if this post made no sense. I just met Mary Jane Holland tonight. :hunty:

crybrowz

The only songs I consider over produced are Hair (I think it would sound much better with a more stripped down production), Americano (vocally), and parts of BTW (the song)

djBuffoon

"Born This Way", "The Edge of Glory", and several others have a LOT going on. At times, it threatens to overpower the vocals/lyrics, which become almost faint against the wall of synthesizers. I know many here would prefer to think of the album as "flawless", and in truth it is a pretty exceptional piece, but going a bit easy on the knobs could have only helped.

giskardsb

Over-produced is a useless term that people throw around but has no agreed upon meaning.   The word needs to be outlawed and people actually describe what it is that they think is the actual problem.  For example, just because there is a lot of sounds and details on a song doesn't mean it was over produced, but maybe could have been mixed differently.  Telephone has a **** ton of stuff going on, but it works because everything is placed very well and all the little extra things add to the song, IMO.

you know whats over-mixed? That damn percussion stick in Bad Romance.

Archived