Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Why did Gaga include Toccata and fugue in D minor in her BTW performances?

Kermit the frog

Featured Posts

Kermit the frog

I've never given it a thought, but do you think there was a reason behind it? What do you think it was symbolic of?

Microscope

probably a way to show off that she can play the organ and also using the organ as a prop for the performance. :shrug:

Take my hand. Stay, Joanne.

Bebe

Hmm.

I suppose because it is one of the most iconic organ pieces ever written, it's instantly recognisable. She probably wanted a big organ piece to give the song a more religious, church type of feeling.

Pure Adrenaline

I always thought, atleast for me, that the meaning behind this is to welcome the birth of the new race of people that are free of all moral flaws of the humans .... like a wedding march that is more dark and epic the way Gaga presented it with the organ and the heads around her .... at least this is my interpretation of this :shrug:

It's much more fun to have hizophrenia... u never get lonely

Kayla

I never knew the significance of this part of the show! I just thought she was playing something relatively random. :sweat: It does show that she's knowledgeable about music, and the sound certainly does fit the visuals of the performance. 

PrinceGaga

I always thought, atleast for me, that the meaning behind this is to welcome the birth of the new race of people that are free of all moral flaws of the humans .... like a wedding march that is more dark and epic the way Gaga presented it with the organ and the heads around her .... at least this is my interpretation of this :shrug:

​YES! Right on the money, I agree. She talks about the church bells in Marry the Night in the MTV Inside the Outside interview and describes the fans as a cult or religion of liberation and love. The same vibe is in Born This Way and Electric Chapel :) 

I agree with everything you say.

Hmm.

I suppose because it is one of the most iconic organ pieces ever written, it's instantly recognisable. She probably wanted a big organ piece to give the song a more religious, church type of feeling.

​

This. 

Also, if you listen closely, especially in live performances, you'll notice that organ is very apparent in the instrumental itself. Random fact lol

So maybe she wanted to expand that aspect?

Tbh, I wish the Tocatta and extended "no matter gay straight or bi" portion was included in the studio version. It brings the song to a whole other level.

Slade

It gives the piece a more gospel song feel for the "No matter gay, straight, or bi" section. She wanted to take our asses to church. :whitney:

mattyx

​Yes, exactly my thoughts

hoodrat

You can hear in the song faintly right before the bridge "let's go to church" (or something involving "church" :spin:)

The organ is the best musical symbol of a church/cathedral and I suppose she decided to play the Bach toccata for that reason. Part of the Born This Way idea was religious...not in a super traditional way, but almost defining self-love as a religion/way of life.

holy scheisse

i dont think there needs to be a meaning haha . that used to be very typical of her performances, to have an instrumental solo in it. (paparazzi vmas piano) (paparazzi snl keytar) 

i think it was once her way to differentiate herself from all other basic pop acts by playing an instrument, when all along her voice was her strongest instrument,

Archived