Better Day 5,766 Posted January 14, 2015 Share Posted January 14, 2015 Thank god this is happening to the capitalist scum Together You And I! Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Economy 53,178 Posted January 14, 2015 Author Share Posted January 14, 2015 Canada's oil sands need 90 dollars to break even and as we stand it has dropped to 89.9 cents in Toronto and lower in other parts of the country. Our prime minster and other heads of government also said that they want to produce more oil 300,000 more barrels this year alone. Which is imo not smart since Canada's dollar has dropped and there is speculation that the economy is falling.It is obvious there will be a surplus and when there is gas prices will continue to drop (canada's largest export). Canadas oil sands have anlong cycle tho. Billions spent to set it up but once set up, each field will last 10+ years and they can make profit at $20/barrel once set up. 1 or 2 years of low prices wont make a project uneconomical If anything US Shale that has shorter life-spans for each field and require constant drilling and reinvestments to maintain production will be more affected And break-even costs are not typically $90/barrel. Its more like $60/barrel. $90/barrel to $100/barrel is the most expensive projects by the most ineficient companies Suncor and Cenovus for instance have projects that at $40/barrel including the cost to set up, is already economical Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Economy 53,178 Posted January 14, 2015 Author Share Posted January 14, 2015 Question, I don't really understand all this oil thingy, but, isn't it supposed to make the flights cheaper too? or any other product? because delivery needs to be cheaper now, if the oil is cheap, so why nothing is really changing and still super expensive?well most business costs dont change with low oil Workers wages, taxes, and other costs remain the same. Oil is ony a small portion of costs for most businesses which means even id companies eventually pass on savings to consumers, most thigs wont drop that much! As for flights, airliners have had low profit margins for years. They may or may not pass on savings to customers Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Economy 53,178 Posted January 14, 2015 Author Share Posted January 14, 2015 I'm no expert, but I think it could go up decently again tbh. Another conflict in Iraq, and a collapse of shale oil production would be obviously needed. I think the whole shale oil thing is going to make it a lot more difficult for it to go up quite as high though. well prices canot stay as low as now thats for sure cuz too much production would eventually disapear But super high prices weve seen sometimes are unlikely to be the norm (although in the short term oil fluctuates a lot) Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
River 129,229 Posted January 14, 2015 Share Posted January 14, 2015 well most business costs dont change with low oil Workers wages, taxes, and other costs remain the same. Oil is ony a small portion of costs for most businesses which means even id companies eventually pass on savings to consumers, most thigs wont drop that much! As for flights, airliners have had low profit margins for years. They may or may not pass on savings to customers I understand, thank you! :D So sploosh your juice all over me you Riverboy Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
LeoFameMonster 1,592 Posted January 14, 2015 Share Posted January 14, 2015 Canadas oil sands have anlong cycle tho. Billions spent to set it up but once set up, each field will last 10+ years and they can make profit at $20/barrel once set up. 1 or 2 years of low prices wont make a project uneconomical If anything US Shale that has shorter life-spans for each field and require constant drilling and reinvestments to maintain production will be more affected And break-even costs are not typically $90/barrel. Its more like $60/barrel. $90/barrel to $100/barrel is the most expensive projects by the most ineficient companies Suncor and Cenovus for instance have projects that at $40/barrel including the cost to set up, is already economical well Canada is pretty inefficient when it comes to oil/gas. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Economy 53,178 Posted January 14, 2015 Author Share Posted January 14, 2015 well Canada is pretty inefficient when it comes to oil/gas.well yeah cuz oil sands are expensive. But the issue isnt companies being inneficient Again few areas cost $90/barrel. Only the most difficult and challanging geological areas cost that much and only with small inneficient companies. $90/barrel is the most expensive of the industry The oil sands boom started before oil ever reached that high. Most projects from most companies break even cheaper than that. The average is about $60/barrel But again, given oil sands fields yield oil for 10+ years. If prices are low for 2 years and then high for say 8 years then its fine US shale is more vulnerable as fields last much less time. 2 years for shale is over half a fields life span so they are more affected by short term volatility Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
freebit 6,264 Posted January 14, 2015 Share Posted January 14, 2015 well prices canot stay as low as now thats for sure cuz too much production would eventually disapear But super high prices weve seen sometimes are unlikely to be the norm (although in the short term oil fluctuates a lot) Yeah, that's definitely true. I just wonder how much it's going to eventually stabilize at since the days of $100 a barrel seem out of reach. I personally think $80 a barrel would be ideal, but do you think that would be at all realistic (all things considered)? Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Economy 53,178 Posted January 14, 2015 Author Share Posted January 14, 2015 Yeah, that's definitely true. I just wonder how much it's going to eventually stabilize at since the days of $100 a barrel seem out of reach. I personally think $80 a barrel would be ideal, but do you think that would be at all realistic (all things considered)? $80? Yeah that sounds realistic Its high enough that oil sands and shale producers will produce but not grow as quickly The market has to find a new equilibrium and id say $75 to $85 will probably be the new norm... Although as i said, oil fluctuates a lot... There may be short periods of time in the future that it will surpass $100/barrel again but it wont be the norm like it has been for the past 5 years Every time prices starts to spike, shale and oil sands will accelerate and compensate Of course part of it also depends on US Dollar fluctuations, whether OPEC changes certain policies, and how quickly green energy takes over etc Also money devalues so in 20 years oil could be $150/barrel simply cause of inflation. But in real terms or real value... Measuring in todays currency value, oil probably wont huver as high as it has been iver the past few years Theres too much recoverable reserves and too many new players to have a shortage anytime soon Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Teal Ambition 47,805 Posted January 15, 2015 Share Posted January 15, 2015 It's been at 79.4 cents here all week and its awesome! I filled up my car for 60$ (it uses supreme gas) which is extremely good! I usually pay 70-80$ depending how empty it is. ▌│█║▌║▌║ before I am Canadian, I am Chromatican ║▌║▌║█│▌ Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Economy 53,178 Posted January 15, 2015 Author Share Posted January 15, 2015 It's been at 79.4 cents here all week and its awesome! I filled up my car for 60$ (it uses supreme gas) which is extremely good! I usually pay 70-80$ depending how empty it is. and premium gas didnt fall as much as regular on top of that Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Teal Ambition 47,805 Posted January 15, 2015 Share Posted January 15, 2015 and premium gas didnt fall as much as regular on top of that It didn't but still quite a lot, I filled up at 93 cents when it used to be around 125-130 ▌│█║▌║▌║ before I am Canadian, I am Chromatican ║▌║▌║█│▌ Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Economy 53,178 Posted January 15, 2015 Author Share Posted January 15, 2015 It didn't but still quite a lot, I filled up at 93 cents when it used to be around 125-130 my point is if ur saving so much... immagine those with regular gas diesel also hasnt fallen as much ppl using regular gas are teh ones that have saved the most my dads mini-van has a large tank and i filled it for $57 yesterday! Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Teal Ambition 47,805 Posted January 15, 2015 Share Posted January 15, 2015 my point is if ur saving so much... immagine those with regular gas diesel also hasnt fallen as much ppl using regular gas are teh ones that have saved the most my dads mini-van has a large tank and i filled it for $57 yesterday! Oh yeah I know, my parents put regular gas. I'm still happy with what I saved anyways ▌│█║▌║▌║ before I am Canadian, I am Chromatican ║▌║▌║█│▌ Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Luc 4,776 Posted January 16, 2015 Share Posted January 16, 2015 Good for the global economy, I guess. Bad for the environment. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Featured Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.