band

HIM Memoriam 1991-2017 / Ville Valo

lego

Fav HIM albums  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite HIM album?

• Greatest Love Songs Vol. 666 (1997)
    • Razorblade Romance (1999)
    • Deep Shadows and Brilliant Highlights (2001)
    • Love Metal (2003)
    • Dark Light (2005)
    • Venus Doom (2007)
    • Screamworks: Love in Theory and Practice (2010)
    • Tears On Tape (2013)

Featured Posts

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 6:02 PM, YourSweet666 said:

omg I saw this video before, but I didn't pay attention :giveup:

@PennyroyalTea if you have time, PLEASE translate this interview. He's mentioning "if someone doesn't like my hat", I feel like he was talking about me.:sharon:

That does seem to be an interesting interview. Thank You for translating @PennyroyalTea

:gaycat:and Ville does indeed have your number on this particular hat. lol :creepflop:

:awesome: @YourSweet666  :grr:

I can't wait to hear this new song :air:

Hurry hurry Ville:excited2:

The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Sister said:

That does seem to be an interesting interview. Thank You for translating @PennyroyalTea

:gaycat:and Ville does indeed have your number on this particular hat. lol :creepflop:

:awesome: @YourSweet666  :grr:

I can't wait to hear this new song :air:

Hurry hurry Ville:excited2:

I'm starting to appreciate him in all these hats. :giveup:

I just love the hair. :air: 

FreePalestine

30 minutes ago, Sister said:

I don't understand a word Ville is saying, but I could listen all day long:wub:

tumblr_n709wim3XA1sr7xmio1_500.gif

I know, I was like that too. :flutter:

That video on FB is a bit longer. They are in his new home, talking about that heating system/machine, he had the same in his old home too. I'm pretty sure it's a commercial for that company. 

He's so dreamy. :wub: 

FreePalestine

1 hour ago, lego said:

I know, I was like that too. :flutter:

That video on FB is a bit longer. They are in his new home, talking about that heating system/machine, he had the same in his old home too. I'm pretty sure it's a commercial for that company. 

He's so dreamy. :wub: 

Dreamy yes. So. Is this the first time we are with him in his new home?!! That's something. :wub:

This clip looks so scientific. Ville looks like he knows what he's talking about more than the other guy. What a turn on though, I love intelligent and in control Ville. lol :icega::air::hor::flutter::sara::deadbanana::saira::wub:

2 hours ago, Sister said:

Dreamy yes. So. Is this the first time we are with him in his new home?!! That's something. :wub:

This clip looks so scientific. Ville looks like he knows what he's talking about more than the other guy. What a turn on though, I love intelligent and in control Ville. lol :icega::air::hor::flutter::sara::deadbanana::saira::wub:

That's because he's a good talker, I don't think he knew much about the system. :deadbanana: 

This is probably his basement, he should show us tour around new flat. :hor:  

The guy mentioned something about calling him if he has any questions  and Ville said I usually call my mom first (aww :wub:) when there's a problem, but you are next lmao. :sharon: 

And he said you had this system in previous home and now in new one, what about next one? Ville said something like I like this so much, I'm gonna move to a new place only to have it installed again. :air: His sense of humor! :laughga:

PennyroyalTea, correct me if I'm wrong. :cryga: 

FreePalestine

40 minutes ago, lego said:

That's because he's a good talker, I don't think he knew much about the system. :deadbanana: 

This is probably his basement, he should show us tour around new flat. :hor:  

The guy mentioned something about calling him if he has any questions  and Ville said I usually call my mom first (aww :wub:) when there's a problem, but you are next lmao. :sharon: 

And he said you had this system in previous home and now in new one, what about next one? Ville said something like I like this so much, I'm gonna move to a new place only to have it installed again. :air: His sense of humor! :laughga:

PennyroyalTea, correct me if I'm wrong. :cryga: 

lol I am in the Cult of Ville Valo, blindly. :giggle:

We-love-Ville-ville-valo-11538391-347-50

Nirvana

Yeah, it's a commercial, I did not see this one coming! :gaycat: They are indeed talking about heating system, and Ville mentions that it's customed black. He says that he doesn't understand that much about those, and it's a good thing you don't have to install that heating system all the time, cos the heat stays the same. He mentions rather adjusting a guitar or making a salad with things that demand constant installation. :toofunny: And Ville also mentions the finnish weather, when it's minus 27 degrees outside and if you happen to mess up the system, he doesn't have to call in the middle of the night what is wrong. And yeah @lego he usually calls he's mom first :wub: and you were right with the translation, he was joking about having it installed in the future houses too! You know finnish very well!

Love how he's joking around so much :wub: These are always fun to watch!

Nirvana

I also translated the interview, here it is in a spoiler! :nick:

Spoiler

When we think about all these achievement your band has had, you have had great chart positions, touring success, good reviews from abroad – all things that a cynical person might explain away for example with luck. But when your album goes gold in USA, meaning 500 000 people have bought it, that’s an achievement that no one can downplay. How do you feel about this?

Ville: Well, hunger grows when eating as always, but it’s great to make history, it’s a cool thing. Thanks goes to my mom and dad, and everyones mom and dad in the band, also to Andy McCoy, Michael Monroe, and countless other musicians who have cleared the road to bands like HIM is.  It obviously feels good, but the work doesn’t end here. It’s in the halfway, to platinum it’s million sales.

What are the things that explain why your music has succeeded so well, for example in the USA?

Ville: I think we have never restricked our artistic vision, we have always done things as we have wanted to do. And we have never claimed that we are the first ones to invent something, we respect our idols from Badding to Black Sabbath. And it’s important, we are not taking the honor to ourselves, we show it to our idols. It’s one thing that’s different in us, many people are full of themselves, but we try to make it so that we stay humble.

---

Do you think people pay attention or criticize wrong things in Finland, within music community?

Ville: No, in music or rock communities here I think everyone is friends with each other! No one is trying to copy each other or put down each other. It’s more constructive and positive, everyone is trying to help people to continue in whatever you are doing in music. When thinking about Rasmus, Nightwish, Hanoi Rocks, Stratovarious or Waltari, everyone’s original in their own style, there’s not many you can compare their style even in foreign countries. That is positive and also very finnish. Of course we are people who also criticize. If my friends make an album I don’t particularly like, I will say it, but you also have to stay with style!

What you talked about is true, we truly do have original bands and it’s a good thing! But when thinking about foreign markets, is it only a good thing or does it bring problems, being too different?

Ville: Well I feel it like this: I’d rather be original and sell two copies than kiss people’s ass and sell a zillion. You have to do things in a way you can stand behind it. In the end, when you stand on the gates of heaven or hell, you are on your own and you have to take the responsibility of your life. So, live so you can truly stand behind your work.

You have a new album coming out 2007, how much easier is it to write music now when you have markets open in USA?

Ville: To songwriting it doesn’t have an impact, the most difficult marketing area is your heart. To open up your heart, and drop something out of it to make nice tunes is always hard. And it wont ever get easier. I’m proud of finally being able to see Australia and Japan, see new people and new cultures. But it doesn’t guarantee that the next album will be a hit. So I’ll say again it’s important to trust yourself, the band, and the people around, do the thing that you are good at. Wishing the best, it’s like playing poker.

What is your goal, either musical or career wise? Have you achieved all?

Ville: I feel music wise, it’s the longevity. Like Neil Young, man is almost 70 years old, made about 40 albums and amongs them there may be those not so great records – but amongs them there are records that have made people cry, that are being played in weddings and funerals. That’s what I wish, to be in a rocking chair and tell grandchildren, or friends grandchildren if I don’t have my own, what uncle Ville has done when he was young and travelled the world!

Would you have believed a few years ago that you would be making finnish music history like this?

Ville: It was not a goal in itself, but you always should believe in yourself and everything in this world. If you work hard, have connections and good friends to help you, and you like what you do, everything is possible. I’ve seen it many times not only in my own work, but in other people. We have also Rasmus who have done pop culture history here, also we have Darude, Hanoi Rocks and many others. The important point is that I hope all musicians here would continue to pull things together. We can be proud of the success of others and also cry of the failures while drinking a beer together!

How did you feel when you heard that you were about making history as a first finnish band to achieve a golden record in the USA?

Ville: Thinking logically we were so close to that line and we knew it would break at one point, of course I wished it would happen to us, it’s a nice trophy. But when I heard it, the first thought was ”I gotta call to my mom and dad” After that, I just got a guitar and started to think about writing more songs! It’s such a ”kick in the ass”, success that motivates. What we have earlier seen in America, and in other countries, is that this finnish melancholy feels so out of touch from the things I’ve seen there! Thinking about Sunset Strip in LA, how can one listen to a song called ”When love and death embrace” when palm trees sway and people wear a bikini… Our success is a good reminder how everyones heart is extremely dark, even the hearts of  those people who live in America.  

Archived