💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Advocate: Azealia Banks Needs to Stop Using Homophobic Slurs

Envi

Featured Posts

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"It seems that Banks doesn’t understand that no one can suddenly choose to self-define a word with decades of historical meaning."

I don't agree with this statement. The intention behind a word is always more important then the word itself.

Patti Smith famously re-defined the word n-i-g-g-e-r in the song Rock N' Roll N-i-g-g-e-r and it became a positive anthem for outsiders and outcasts. Had Azealia Banks chosen to give a positive connotation to the word f-a-g-g-o-t in a way that was similar to Patti Smith's re-defing of the word n-i-g-g-e-r no would have have batted an eye. But she didn't do that. She turned a slur into a slur and continues to perpetuate the idea that being a f-a-g-g-o-t is a bad thing.

Her music is wonderful, but Azealia Banks is clearly an angry, ignorant, sour woman. I wish her the best.

:applause:

SissyFromSpace

1. ha

2. it's not derailing the topic. she's identified as part of the LGBT community and this article cites that. you've challenged that and i'm responding to your post. it's the topic.

3. you're still wrong. this isn't an innocent until proven guilty type situation. she's identified herself as bis-xual. that's not up for you to challenge.

Well according to old tweets and the way she treated A$AP I believe she only said she's Bi-s-xual to look edgy or cool or to fit in with her gay fans.

Barbie elitist - Weaboo - Sissy

Willy Wonka

Well according to old tweets and the way she treated A$AP I believe she only said she's Bi-s-xual to look edgy or cool or to fit in with her gay fans.

how progressive of you. 

well she had a female lover and not to mention she has a song about lesbian lovers
Lady Gaga/ Madonna/Lana /Azealia Banks/ Jazmine Sullivan/ DEEE-LITE/ Moko

who cares

I do, and you should too.

Edit: Sorry, I just saw your post about you talking about AB, not who cares about the word lol. My bad!

I'm gonna call her N*gger but not because I hate black people, I only use the word because I don't like her

tumblr_lms8d0vTHe1ql5uxjo1_500.gif

*in B4 it's not the same comments*

This. It's the same f***ing thing. No one needs to be using those words, period.

haydensamuel

I'm gonna call her N*gger but not because I hate black people, I only use the word because I don't like her

tumblr_lms8d0vTHe1ql5uxjo1_500.gif

*in B4 it's not the same comments*

This.  :worship:

FrozenKookie

She's totally a sad person, but as long as she make quality music I couldn't careless about her crap

Cody Draco

I do think that, even if she's not using it as an anti-gay slur, she should stop using that word. For her fans who feel hurt when she uses it  (I'm not) and for her career.

Though, talking about this is kinda pointless since she clearly doesn't give a f*ck. :emma:

https://twitter.com/AZEALIABANKS/status/541738009583169536

Is it bad that I'm not hurt by the word ******* but I feel like I'm being pushed to the outskirts of her fanbase everytime she says something negative about white people (as if we are all the same and can just be lumped together/maybe I'm just being sensitive but it doesn't feel good to be tied to such atrocities as slavery just because of my skin color)? :snowmess:

Is it bad that I'm not hurt by the word ******* but I feel like I'm being pushed to the outskirts of her fanbase everytime she says something negative about white people (as if we are all the same and can just be lumped together/maybe I'm just being sensitive but it doesn't feel good to be tied to such atrocities as slavery just because of my skin color)? :snowmess:

I do dislike it when she says something like that because, like you, I feel like I shouldn't pay for my ancestors' actions. That being said, I do not feel oppressed because of the colour of my skin, so I shouldn't complain. :shrug: Maybe it feels weird since it doesn't happen often to us.

One Five Ten

If it wasn't for the "f*ggots" she would be nowhere, it was in "f*ggot" clubs her tracks picked up steam and it's been pretty much the "f*ggot" community supporting her as a fanbase. I stan for her music but when it comes to her trying to put a point across using slurs I just sit back and laugh, it's like she has no education. According to her usage of the word f*ggot, I could call her a n*gger because I've made up my own definition of the word? I would never of course but honey, language doesn't work like that.

lady_gaga_on_the_conversation_by_samfiss

Best post and frankly what Azealia needs to hear. She has a nice album but I can't stand by her reading these comments she has made.

EDIT: lots of great comments in here actually.

She didn't use the word because she doesn't like gays, she used the word because she doesn't like Perez 

So from now on, I can call everyone I hate a n*gger? Not because I dislike black people but because I want to use it to express my dislike with people? I understood her original intention but didn't agree with it, we have languages so we can understand and communicate with people, we can't start to use words with accepted connotations like they don't have them. The odd person who used to call me a f*ggot when I was growing up, they weren't using it to express their dislike of me, they were using it to insult me through my s-xuality.

I understood she may have been attempting to somewhat "reclaim" the word but you can't use a slur as another slur and claim you've reclaimed it.

Archived