Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

'Wicked' Movie Set For 2016 Release

AIex

Featured Posts

Idina-Menzel-Wicked.png?9f5c9e

Something Wicked this way comes: a film adaptation based on the book and the outrageously successful musical is scheduled for 2016.

The Wicked movie has long been in development, and a few weeks back, we were told by producer Marc Platt that the film is “still a number of years down the line.â€

However, Film Divider reports that Universal is lining Wicked up for a 2016 release.

Allegedly, this was revealed when the studio presented their schedule at the annual Screen Film Summit.

If this is true, expect a lot of updates on this much-anticipated project soon, because the team will have to work fast to push the film into production.

Stephen Daldry has been approached to direct; Daldry successfully brought Billy Elliot to the big screen in 2000, so it’s a solid pick.

Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West was written by Gregory Maguire in 1996. It is an unofficial prequel to The Wizard of Oz, serving as an origin story for the Wicked Witch and Glinda.

It is one of the first pieces of fiction to take the villain’s perspective, and prove that they’re just misunderstood – the trend continues to this day with films like Maleficent and of course the Star Wars prequels.

The Broadway musical famously starred Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth, and who hasn’t tried and failed to hit the high notes of “Defying Gravityâ€? (…No? Just us?)

A lot of talented young women have taken on the roles, both on Broadway and the West End. It is unclear whether the movie might try to bring some of them to the big screen, or pick from the pool of A-list actresses (like Oz: The Great and Powerful did in 2013).

And will this even have songs?! If it’s mainly based on the book, probably not. Hopefully we’ll learn more soon.

Source

I loved the musical! So happy it's gonna be a movie :)

IKR! I hope the movie actors/actresses will do as much justice to the roles as the live portrayals. :excited:

The Wizard of Oz is hands down my favourite movie of all time. But Oz: The Great and Powerful was a HUGE disappointment - not that I expected much from it anyway. I love the whole idea of Wicked, but I REALLY don't want this to become another overcooked, soulless blockbuster/cash-in like Oz was.  :ohno:

Miranda Sings

It's a bummer that Idina and Kristin are too old to play the roles again, I'd love to have them for the film. I hope they cast it well!

ItsTommyBitch

This better not be just a movie with no music, what an injustice to one of the best musicals of all time :crossed:

It needs the Les Miserables treatment, or even Rent :giveup:

Regardless, im perched :popcorn:

私自身もこの世の中も誰もかれもが, どんなに華やかな人生でも, どんなに悲惨な人生でも, いつかは変貌し, 破壊され、消滅してしまう. すべてがもともとこの世に存在しない一瞬の幻想なのだから

This better not be just a movie with no music, what an injustice to one of the best musicals of all time :crossed:

It needs the Les Miserables treatment, or even Rent :giveup:

Regardless, im perched :popcorn:

Not hearing Defying Gravity.

crying-gifs-10112013-11.gif

Archived