Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Grandfather of adopted daughter: "Madonna has ... shown no humanity"

Jonna Lee

Featured Posts

Jonna Lee

yrb6uO1.jpg

Madonna has been accused of 'betraying' the family of her adopted daughter Mercy - as they issued a desperate plea to be allowed to see her.

The grandparents of Mercy James have accused the star of cutting them out of her life and failing to meet a promise to keep her close to her roots. They also attacked 'white foreigners' for taking children away from Africa.

Saxon Maunde, grandfather of Mercy James who was adopted by Madonna in 2009, told MailOnline: 'Nobody has told me a thing about Mercy being in the country or about her welfare since she left us.

The 69-year-old, who ekes out a living selling pots from a roadside stall, added that Madonna had, 'broken my heart and hearts of my family members,' saying that, 'she has shown no humanity at all towards us.'

Saxon Maunde originally backed Madonna's bid to adopt his granddaughter because he believed she would get a good education, and convinced his reluctant ex-wife to agree the adoption papers.

But today, as Madonna visits Malawi with Mercy James, he said he bitterly regrets his decision and accused Madonna of kidnapping a child of Africa.

'Now I see that all she meant was that she would bring her here on holiday, stay in an expensive lodge for foreigners, and cut us – her real blood family – out of her life. That cannot be the right way to do things. No foreigner has the right to interfere in our culture like this.'

His thoughts were echoed by his ex-wife Lucy Chekechiwa, also 69, who fears she may never see her granddaughter again.

'I am now old and sickly,' she said. 'I don't want to die before seeing my daughter.'

A tearful Chekechiwa said: 'We planned to take her back when she reached the age of six when she could eat solid food. But we were told a rich lady wanted to adopt her. We resisted at first but government officials convinced us this was good for Chifundo's future. We never thought we will not see our daughter again.

Maunde says he now bitterly regrets signing the papers that allowed the 56-year-old pop star to adopt Mercy, whose teenage mother Mwandida, died days after giving birth.

'By putting a distance between Mercy and me and members of my family, she is being extremely unfair.

'We are extremely poor, but we do not need her money,' he added. 'A simple acknowledgement that we exist, that we are humans with feelings and that we do not wish to be disconnected from our child will be enough.

'What has happened to our family should be a lesson to anyone who may be approached by Madonna with promises to make lives of children better.'

Read more here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2855770/EXCLUSIVE-Madonna-betrayed-daughter-Mercy-Orphan-s-family-attack-pop-diva-white-foreigners-babies-Africa.html

CNSDpMs.jpg

This is such a sad situation... thoughts and prayers going out to both of her families :ohno:

i like it when u treat me mean it turns my mood from black to blue

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is such a sad situation... thoughts and prayers going out to her family :ohno:

Her family is Madonna. She adopted the kid, she didn't rent it. If she indeed promised them that they'll have contact tho, then yeah, what she's doing isn't right.

Her family is Madonna. She adopted the kid, she didn't rent it. If she indeed promised them that they'll have contact tho, then yeah, what she's doing isn't right.

exactly

They clearly didn't understand the concept of adoption

mte :smh:

madonna hasn't done anything wrong

My Favs = Lady Gaga, Janet Jackson, Ricky Martin, AKB48

I doubt Madonna would refuse them seeing Mercy. If she wanted to "kidnapp" her out of Africa she wouldn't be bringing all her children in Malawi.

This is sad  :cry:

But they gave her away for adoption, her family is with Madonna now. She is not compelled to allow the relatives contact, unless it was legally arranged before hand. If she feels it is best she doesn't see her birth relatives, then that is her choice. 

I mean, sometimes I think it would be a lot better if celebrities actually donated money to the child's community so that the entire community benefits and the child can actually stay in the country with their family.

I don't think Madonna was trying to kidnap the child though, she adopted her legally. I feel terrible for the family though, I'm sure their pain is authentic.

This is clearly a plea for press attention (from the grandfather).

Yeah, i'm sure the 69 year old man from an undeveloped country who is selling pots from a roadside stall in order to live is just fame-hungry. He can't possibly actually miss his granddaughter.

This is such a delicate topic.

I'm sure both Madonna and the family had good intentions in mind.

Kindness rules all.

Jonna Lee

This is such a delicate topic.

I'm sure both Madonna and the family had good intentions in mind.

This though, I'm sure both of them feel awful over it :ohno:

i like it when u treat me mean it turns my mood from black to blue

Yeah, i'm sure the 69 year old man from an undeveloped country who is selling pots from a roadside stall in order to live is just fame-hungry. He can't possibly actually miss his granddaughter.

The child was put up for adoption and with that, all rights were relinquished to the adoptive parent. They made that choice after their daughter's unfortunate passing. Tough spot to be in I suppose, but Madonna's obligation and responsibility is to Mercy only and not her extended family.

Are We really calling Madonna selfish for adopting a girl in need?

iVtTRWP.gif

My Favs = Lady Gaga, Janet Jackson, Ricky Martin, AKB48

Archived