💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Bette Midler Slams Ariana Grande: She "Has a Silly High Voice"

Bambino

Featured Posts

PopBitch

Ha-ha.  Bette tweeted a few hours after Ariana's comments.  Now, that sounds like the old Bette, poking fun at herself.

Midler addressed the feud via Twitter hours after Grande's tweets and tweeted: "About my screed on @ArianaGrande, all I can say is, 'Spoken like a reformed old w h o r e! She does have a beautiful voice, on a couch or off.'"

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FrankGutz

Yas, Drag ha

gret.gif

Dᴄ • Dᴀʀᴋ Hᴏʀsᴇ | Hᴏʀʀᴏʀ • Tʜʀɪʟʟᴇʀ | Eʟᴇᴄᴛʀᴏɴɪᴄ | Fɪᴛɴᴇss | Mᴀɴᴅʏ Mᴏᴏʀᴇ • Lᴀᴅʏ Gᴀɢᴀ • Sᴏᴘʜɪᴇ Bᴇxᴛᴏʀ

StrawberryBlond

This post bothers me on so many levels, for so many reasons. 

What is your problem with me recently whenever I bring up a view about s-xuality? You used to be nice to me but now you act so hostile and act like I'm saying the most offensive things in the world. It's just an opinion. There's no need to be overly offended by it. And instead of being coy about it all, why don't you just list these problems you have with what I said? We won't get along if you're always leaving me in the dark about how my views affect you.

A sense of decency based on whose standards and sensibilities? Why should being comfortable about your s-xuality be hidden and private? Because it makes certain others squeamish?

Basic human decency, which is don't walk around naked (or practically naked), don't be s-xual in front of an inappropriate audience, don't be s-xual in a way that's inappropriate for your age. I don't know what makes some people think they have a right to let it all hang out and to hell with who sees it. You should always be aware of the way your actions affect others. There's a time and place for s-xuality and the explicit stuff in particular has to be kept behind closed doors. These days, some popstars are giving the public a view that should only be seen by their partner and their gynocaologist. That's not s-xy, it's disgusting.

I agree, Ariana isn't that terrible but she definitely has a s-xual image that's also somehow childish. That bothers a lot of people for obvious reasons..

As far as J.lo and Madonna are concerned, they're grown and are allowed to be s-xual if they want to. But my problem is that, (especially in J.lot's case), it comes off as desperate. J.Lo's song "Booty" is just bad. Don't even get me started on the messy video. But they're making a statement that you can own your s-xuality at any age. And how can you be mad at that? :ohwell:

It's the childish element that bothers me more than the s-xuality itself. She should realise that with her short height, slim, curveless build, baby faced features and childs hairdo that dressing s-xually will create a very disturbing look. I've said before that the stuff she wears is not unlike outfits seen on child prostitutes in Southeast Asia and as she looks underage, it makes for a very disturbing connection. It makes my skin crawl when I think of all the creepy old men who must be drooling over her.

Agreed, it makes them look desperate. I don't have a problem with older women being s-xual (and if you look like J-Lo at 45, abandoning s-xuality would be like buying a Ferrari and keeping it in a garage) but there is a line to be drawn once you've reached a certain age and particularly if you're a mother. It's just undignified. There's more than one way to "own your s-xuality" and twerking in a high cut leotard and spanking the behind of a girl young enough to be your daughter isn't the best way nor is it the only way. That isn't an expression of s-xuality, it's an expression of conformity. It's just done to appeal to men, it's not necessarily what you find appealing. There's nothing s-xy about conforming, but being s-xual in the way that makes you comfortable is s-xy. And somehow, I don't think the expression of s-xuality that a lot of women in the media show is what they actually want.

just no

Explain why. I can't do anything with that response.

tumblr_m9cckmRlJK1rd2qw6o1_400.gif

This is a common problem that I run into when I discuss my views on s-xuality: being deemed out of touch, even though I'm only 24. Society would have you believe that you either support full on s-xuality or you're a full on prude. Believe it or not, there is a middle ground.

Psychedelic

This is a common problem that I run into when I discuss my views on s-xuality: being deemed out of touch, even though I'm only 24. Society would have you believe that you either support full on s-xuality or you're a full on prude. Believe it or not, there is a middle ground.

I thought you were 80 :air:

all that you have said only applies to Miley (I like Miley tho), you're overreacting on all others, but you're entiteld to your wrong opinion!

StrawberryBlond

I thought you were 80 :air:

all that you have said only applies to Miley (I like Miley tho), you're overreacting on all others, but you're entiteld to your wrong opinion!

Are you joking or being serious when you thought I was 80? Regardless, that is a very rude thing to say. Even if I was 80, that still doesn't give you the right to disregard people's opinions. It's ageist.

I'm referring to the entire situation of s-xuality in the mainstream, not just the worst offenders, nor am I saying that Ariana is like this. And did you really just say "wrong opinion?" That attitude won't get you far.

She's so wrong about the Spice Girls. She really doesn't know what she's talking about.

Yep,but everything else is quite true.

Redstreak

Basic human decency, which is don't walk around naked (or practically naked), don't be s-xual in front of an inappropriate audience, don't be s-xual in a way that's inappropriate for your age. I don't know what makes some people think they have a right to let it all hang out and to hell with who sees it. You should always be aware of the way your actions affect others. There's a time and place for s-xuality and the explicit stuff in particular has to be kept behind closed doors. These days, some popstars are giving the public a view that should only be seen by their partner and their gynocaologist. That's not s-xy, it's disgusting.

Who dictates what the standard for "basic human decency" is? It's not a pop stars place to make sure they aren't in front of an inappropriate audience, it's the parents. Who the hell gets to say what's inappropriate for someones age? "Be s-xual until a certain age and understand that no one wants to see you ever again" What? It is to hell with who sees it, sure there is a time and place for these things, but it's not never and nowhere. And what's found s-xy or disgusting about open s-xuality is all subjectively up to the viewer.

Take a moment to think of just flexibility, love, and trust~

Psychedelic

Are you joking or being serious when you thought I was 80? Regardless, that is a very rude thing to say. Even if I was 80, that still doesn't give you the right to disregard people's opinions. It's ageist.

I'm referring to the entire situation of s-xuality in the mainstream, not just the worst offenders, nor am I saying that Ariana is like this. And did you really just say "wrong opinion?" That attitude won't get you far.

I was joking, but you really sound like an older person. Although you are right about that joke being ageist, an older person could have a more open-minded opinion than yours... but hold on, did you say ageist??? Give me a break, what were you just saying about Madonna an JLo in your first comment? That's what is ageist!

Besides s-xuality is something natural, something we must not be ashamed of. If you like being discret about it, it's ok, but you are no one to judge those who choose to express their s-xuality more freely.

That misconception of s-xuality you have, will not get YOU far!!!

Jesse Pinkman

It's the childish element that bothers me more than the s-xuality itself. She should realise that with her short height, slim, curveless build, baby faced features and childs hairdo that dressing s-xually will create a very disturbing look. I've said before that the stuff she wears is not unlike outfits seen on child prostitutes in Southeast Asia and as she looks underage, it makes for a very disturbing connection. It makes my skin crawl when I think of all the creepy old men who must be drooling over her.

Agreed, it makes them look desperate. I don't have a problem with older women being s-xual (and if you look like J-Lo at 45, abandoning s-xuality would be like buying a Ferrari and keeping it in a garage) but there is a line to be drawn once you've reached a certain age and particularly if you're a mother. It's just undignified. There's more than one way to "own your s-xuality" and twerking in a high cut leotard and spanking the behind of a girl young enough to be your daughter isn't the best way nor is it the only way. That isn't an expression of s-xuality, it's an expression of conformity. It's just done to appeal to men, it's not necessarily what you find appealing. There's nothing s-xy about conforming, but being s-xual in the way that makes you comfortable is s-xy. And somehow, I don't think the expression of s-xuality that a lot of women in the media show is what they actually want.

Well said. And I agree with you for the most part. :yes:

It's science, bitch

DrewStevens

This post bothers me on so many levels, for so many reasons. 

This x1000

And it get's worse considering the artist in his/her profile pic.

Rat Boy

I really agree with everything she has to say, although using Ariana as an example is a bit weird. Ariana is very young (but legal), so isn't this a time in her life where she's allowed to be s-xual if she wants? If she can't do it when she's young, when can she do it? While she uses her s-xuality extensively, it's not practically explicit like Rihanna and Miley do. Even Beyonce's more explicit than her, lyric-wise anyway, and she's considered to be classy. If anything, Ariana's s-xuality is very tame compared to what she could be doing. It's reminiscent of the s-xuality a lot of earlier popstars had (we all know she bases herself heavily on Mariah in that regard). So, I just think that Bette's choice of who to pick on is a little odd. While I don't agree with anyone of any age being overtly s-xual in public, I think it's much more offensive on older women. I think the likes of Madonna and J-Lo should be criticised more than the young, because at their age and their stage of life, they should know better and should no longer have to be s-xual to get noticed.

Thing is, not everyone likes public s-xuality, which is understandable. Sex should be private. That's not being anti s-x, it's just having a sense of decency.

In regards to J-lo I agree with you. She observed the success Anaconda experienced and thought that if she did a raunchy video and remixed Booty with a contemporary hit-taker such as Iggy it would blow up. However I disagree with what you said about Madonna. Like many artists Madonna used her s-xuality to garner attention. It is a quick and easy way to get noticed in pop culture, even Gaga did it. Madonna has a lot more to offer than her body and yes she may use s-x to get noticed but she has her stage presence and talent. Her s-xuality does not define who she is. She is a strong woman who owns her s-xuality and is in control of it.

Madonna is in her fifties and I think she should be allowed to continue to be s-xual if she wants to. I think there are double standards when you say young women can be s-xual but older women can't. She is a highly intelligent individual and  know exactly what she is doing. She does not have to take her clothes of to get noticed anymore. The times when Madonna has been extremely s-xual were the worst times of her career (commercially speaking). Erotica, her most raunchy album and Justify My Love flunked very hard. People were certain that she was over at that time.The clothes she wore on her most successful tour (Sticky and Sweet) were not s-xual for the most part. Ray of Light is probably her most memorable albums and was by far her most conservative album.. She knows very well that she does not need to be s-xual to get noticed but simply enjoys that side of her. Yes perhaps it is not as attractive in some people's eyes but at the end of the day it is a part of her personality and who she is. I don't think older people should be stopped from doing things they want to do/have been doing for most of their life unless it is harmful to their health. Societal expectations and  should not cease someone from engaging in things they desire to do. Madonna uses s-x in the same manner Gaga does.

"dont trust this crooked manipulative rat!" - @NichuuB

StrawberryBlond

Who dictates what the standard for "basic human decency" is? It's not a pop stars place to make sure they aren't in front of an inappropriate audience, it's the parents. Who the hell gets to say what's inappropriate for someones age? "Be s-xual until a certain age and understand that no one wants to see you ever again" What? It is to hell with who sees it, sure there is a time and place for these things, but it's not never and nowhere. And what's found s-xy or disgusting about open s-xuality is all subjectively up to the viewer.

There doesn't need to be someone who sets the standard, it should just be an instinctive thing between knowing what is right and wrong. To hear people like you talk, you'd think we were still living in the 80's when the television was the only way to watch a popstar's appearance and no kid had a tv in their room. Nowadays, kids can watch on the internet and on their phones or if their parents have put controls on them, they can watch on their friends devices. There's absolutely no foolproof way a parent can control 100% of what their child views anymore. So, I'd say the music industry does have a responsibility about what it lets its artists do in performances as now anyone of any age can watch it anywhere. And I was referring mostly to inappropriate s-xuality for those who are underage - damn right there is someone who says what age is appropriate for that. And I think most of us know when we reach an age/stage of our life where overt s-xuality is inappropriate: some think it's when we get married, some think it's when we have children, some think it's when we reach 40. There's no right answer, but everyone should be aware that there is a line to be drawn at some point. I never said "never and nowhere" to all s-xuality, did I? I'm sure most of us would agree that private intercourse is one thing, but recording it and putting it online is a different matter. Nothing's sacred anymore, nothing's private anymore, nothing's left to the imagination.

I was joking, but you really sound like an older person. Although you are right about that joke being ageist, an older person could have a more open-minded opinion than yours... but hold on, did you say ageist??? Give me a break, what were you just saying about Madonna an JLo in your first comment? That's what is ageist!

Thinking like that about s-xuality will not get YOU far!!!

So, younger people and older people have distinct views that never overlap or interchange? So what if an older person could be more open-minded - that doesn't make them right. I wasn't being ageist previously, I was merely suggesting they tone it down, as should a lot of other younger performers. Being ageist would be saying that they should never be s-xual once they reach a certain age, which is not what I'm suggesting.

So, now you're telling someone how they should think about s-xuality? That's a deeply personal thing and absolutely no one should dictate such a delicate matter. It's thinking toxic, damaging ideas about s-xuality that's leading to such problems regarding s-xuality worldwide. And it's shame that rejection of these ideas makes you a prude, apparently.

This x1000

And it get's worse considering the artist in his/her profile pic.

Surely the fact that I'm a fan of Lana confirms that I'm not against s-xuality, right? Or Gaga, obviously.

In regards to J-lo I agree with you. She observed the success Anaconda experienced and thought that if she did a raunchy video and remixed Booty with a contemporary hit-taker such as Iggy it would blow up. However I disagree with what you said about Madonna. Like many artists Madonna used her s-xuality to garner attention. It is a quick and easy way to get noticed in pop culture, even Gaga did it. Madonna has a lot more to offer than her body and yes she may use s-x to get noticed but she has her stage presence and talent. Her s-xuality does not define who she is. She is a strong woman who owns her s-xuality and is in control of it.

Madonna is in her fifties and I think she should be allowed to continue to be s-xual if she wants to. I think there are double standards when you say young women can be s-xual but older women can't. She is a highly intelligent individual and  know exactly what she is doing. She does not have to take her clothes of to get noticed anymore. The times when Madonna has been extremely s-xual were the worst times of her career (commercially speaking). Erotica, her most raunchy album and Justify My Love flunked very hard. People were certain that she was over at that time.The clothes she wore on her most successful tour (Sticky and Sweet) were not s-xual for the most part. Ray of Light is probably her most memorable albums and was by far her most conservative album.. She knows very well that she does not need to be s-xual to get noticed but simply enjoys that side of her. Yes perhaps it is not as attractive in some people's eyes but at the end of the day it is a part of her personality and who she is. I don't think older people should be stopped from doing things they want to do/have been doing for most of their life unless it is harmful to their health. Societal expectations and  should not cease someone from engaging in things they desire to do. Madonna uses s-x in the same manner Gaga does.

I didn't say that older women can't be s-xual, just that it should be toned down significantly if in public. For both age groups, explicitness should be private. I'm one of the last people who would engage in double standards, I assure you. I'd even say that men should tone it down when they're older too (granted, they're not as overtly s-xual as women are, but that's beside the point). Madonna's more s-xualised material didn't sell well back then because the public was less accepting of s-xuality - if she had done it in today's world, it would have been a different story. I think Xtina's Dirrty era, The ***cat Dolls, Rihanna, Gaga and Miley's Bangerz era all getting success is a sign that we live in a very different time where s-xuality is praised and expected. I've noticed that whenever Madonna's s-xual image wasn't working, she did conservative ballads, and when that wasn't working, she went back to s-x selling. I think that's pretty redundant. I'm definitely not Madonna's biggest fan and think she's always been more about shock value and commercial success rather than making amazing music (Ray of Light is a revelation, though). No one's stopping her being s-xual at a later age but even her fans aren't appreciating it anymore and I think that's the sign that she needs to stop. I don't see why she can't aim for sensuality rather than s-xuality. That's far s-xier on an older woman. And the young ones shouldn't knock it either. Reeling in your s-xuality isn't about conforming to society's expectations, it's just about dignity. Personally, I've never felt the need to be overtly s-xual in public as I think it's degrading. And it's wrong to be told that it's because you're ashamed of your body and your s-xuality if you feel that way. It's because I have pride in my body and my s-xuality that I want to keep it private and only seen by a favoured few.

DrewStevens

There doesn't need to be someone who sets the standard, it should just be an instinctive thing between knowing what is right and wrong. To hear people like you talk, you'd think we were still living in the 80's when the television was the only way to watch a popstar's appearance and no kid had a tv in their room. Nowadays, kids can watch on the internet and on their phones or if their parents have put controls on them, they can watch on their friends devices. There's absolutely no foolproof way a parent can control 100% of what their child views anymore. So, I'd say the music industry does have a responsibility about what it lets its artists do in performances as now anyone of any age can watch it anywhere. And I was referring mostly to inappropriate s-xuality for those who are underage - damn right there is someone who says what age is appropriate for that. And I think most of us know when we reach an age/stage of our life where overt s-xuality is inappropriate: some think it's when we get married, some think it's when we have children, some think it's when we reach 40. There's no right answer, but everyone should be aware that there is a line to be drawn at some point. I never said "never and nowhere" to all s-xuality, did I? I'm sure most of us would agree that private intercourse is one thing, but recording it and putting it online is a different matter. Nothing's sacred anymore, nothing's private anymore, nothing's left to the imagination.

So, younger people and older people have distinct views that never overlap or interchange? So what if an older person could be more open-minded - that doesn't make them right. I wasn't being ageist previously, I was merely suggesting they tone it down, as should a lot of other younger performers. Being ageist would be saying that they should never be s-xual once they reach a certain age, which is not what I'm suggesting.

So, now you're telling someone how they should think about s-xuality? That's a deeply personal thing and absolutely no one should dictate such a delicate matter. It's thinking toxic, damaging ideas about s-xuality that's leading to such problems regarding s-xuality worldwide. And it's shame that rejection of these ideas makes you a prude, apparently.

Surely the fact that I'm a fan of Lana confirms that I'm not against s-xuality, right? Or Gaga, obviously.

I didn't say that older women can't be s-xual, just that it should be toned down significantly if in public. For both age groups, explicitness should be private. I'm one of the last people who would engage in double standards, I assure you. I'd even say that men should tone it down when they're older too (granted, they're not as overtly s-xual as women are, but that's beside the point). Madonna's more s-xualised material didn't sell well back then because the public was less accepting of s-xuality - if she had done it in today's world, it would have been a different story. I think Xtina's Dirrty era, The ***cat Dolls, Rihanna, Gaga and Miley's Bangerz era all getting success is a sign that we live in a very different time where s-xuality is praised and expected. I've noticed that whenever Madonna's s-xual image wasn't working, she did conservative ballads, and when that wasn't working, she went back to s-x selling. I think that's pretty redundant. I'm definitely not Madonna's biggest fan and think she's always been more about shock value and commercial success rather than making amazing music (Ray of Light is a revelation, though). No one's stopping her being s-xual at a later age but even her fans aren't appreciating it anymore and I think that's the sign that she needs to stop. I don't see why she can't aim for sensuality rather than s-xuality. That's far s-xier on an older woman. And the young ones shouldn't knock it either. Reeling in your s-xuality isn't about conforming to society's expectations, it's just about dignity. Personally, I've never felt the need to be overtly s-xual in public as I think it's degrading. And it's wrong to be told that it's because you're ashamed of your body and your s-xuality if you feel that way. It's because I have pride in my body and my s-xuality that I want to keep it private and only seen by a favoured few.

It's not that you are against s-xuality, is that your argument comes as a double standard.

Most of your argument is how s-xuality should be expressed in public. You said that being overly s-xual in public is degrading, but what about Gaga faking s-x with her dancers? Or Lana being ****ed over a pinball machine?

You don't decide what it's s-xy and what it's not, nobody does. Everybody has different taste.

Ariana may look young but that doesn't mean she can't express her s-xuality. She is an adult and she is not even being that provocative.

Archived