💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Random Music Conversation

cometoogg

Featured Posts

omg you watch theneedledrop too? I rarely agree with him (besides with LP1 and The Idler Wheel reviews) But I kinda think he's hot  :teehee:

But in general, I like reading reviews, even ones I disagree with because i LOVE the discussion of music. I like reading or listening to other people's thoughts and feelings.

omgggg i know right :rip: :rip:

and same i love hearing other people's opinion omg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
inuborg

omgggg i know right :rip: :rip:

and same i love hearing other people's opinion omg

I think stan culture kinda got me away from that, and become too argumentative, which I'm trying to get away from. 

Do you listen to Fiona Apple, whats your favorite album from her? And Regina? 

I root for you. I love you. You, you, you, you.

I think stan culture kinda got me away from that, and become too argumentative, which I'm trying to get away from. 

Do you listen to Fiona Apple, whats your favorite album from her? And Regina? 

ive listened to fiona apple, i have her whole discography but i dont think ive listened to a whole album just songs :rip:

i think my faves are the one called "Extraordionary Machine", "Tidal" and "When The Pawn Hits The Conflicts..." based on the songs i think i like

and by Regina Begin To Hope and Soviet Kitsch i think :)

inuborg

ive listened to fiona apple, i have her whole discography but i dont think ive listened to a whole album just songs :rip:

i think my faves are the one called "Extraordionary Machine", "Tidal" and "When The Pawn Hits The Conflicts..." based on the songs i think i like

and by Regina Begin To Hope and Soviet Kitsch i think :)

Tidal and When The Pawn are tied for my favorites  too :legend: Pale September and Never Is A Promise :cry:

My favorite Regina album Is like a three way tie between Songs, Soviet Kitsh and Begin To Hope :dead: 

I wrote a review for it for my college english class, I'd share it if you'd like 

Bambino

This thread is so good :legend:

I'm really happy that Paulina Rubio is filming a video these day which could possibly be the video of her new single :giveup: It's been so long and I just literally can't wait :cry:

Tidal and When The Pawn are tied for my favorites  too :legend: Pale September and Never Is A Promise :cry:

My favorite Regina album Is like a three way tie between Songs, Soviet Kitsh and Begin To Hope :dead:

I wrote a review for it for my college english class, I'd share it if you'd like 

omg yes i also like Songs :legend:

omg yes 

inuborg

omg yes i also like Songs :legend:

omg yes 

This was like a pre-final draft so theres a few spelling errors, but its all here :gum: 

"Songs" by Russian born, Anti-Folk singer-songwriter Regina Spektor is the little album that shouldn't exist; we weren't supposed to hear it, at the time of its creation anyway. The songs that were recorded for "Songs" were meant to be demos. They were recorded in one take, and remained unproduced. The finial product: 12 songs that feature only Regina's adorable voice and her classically trained piano playing. Gone was the jazzy flare of her debut album, “11:11â€. For one reason or another she started selling an album composed of those songs at her shows in 2002, independently. So how does the album we weren't supposed to hear fare? It is one of her best yet.

The album opens up with Samson, breathtaking a love ballad with biblical references. "I cut his hair myself one night/ A pair of dull scissors in the yellow light" Pretty much the whole thing is reference to the story of Samson told from Delilah's point of view.  That fact that it is a reference distances the song from an ordinary ballad.

Regina's capability to express her personal feelings through impersonal, unorthodox instances is what makes this album. When give the choice of an album full of boring ballads or one full of interesting mini stories, akin to the work of a novelist, the latter is always more tantalizing. From Delilah in Samson, Regina morphs into many different characters: an abandoned prince in Oedipus, a hopeless captive in Prisoners, a court room observer in Daniel Cowman, and last but not least, a butterfly peddler in Aching to Pupate.

To keep from being a gimmick, however, there are few songs where Regina remains Regina in most notably, Lullaby. Lullaby is another heartfelt love ballad but with even stranger lyrics than Samson. "I know that you cannot be here/ I know that you are not mine now/ Looking out the window at another window/ I see toenails changing color like the leaves of fall." The coupling of heart wrenching piano instrumental and melody with serious delivery keeps the song from being farce.

Bon Idee, Lounge, and Lacrimosa are sad too, but not the kind of sadness that comes from the person but rather the situation. Lacrimosa, as the name would suggest is very thought provoking and once you get the point of the song, a poignant melancholy hits. As she sings "We keep on burying our dead/ we keep on planting their bones in the ground/ but they don't grow, the sun doesn't help/ the rain doesn't help", it is, at first, quite difficult to regard the sadness; but behind the silliness, there is sadness. Nevertheless, the chorus of the song is blatant serious drama with its reference to the story of Icarus, “Hi, I’m Icarus/ I’m falling, Down/Man for judgment must prepare me/Spare oh god have mercy/â€. Lounge lounges the listener directly in a difficult situation, life after love "you don't know what love is till you see her standing there/ a web of skins and nails and hair". Bon Idee deals with lost, but this time the theme is the tragic loss of intangible treasures such as ideas and religious beliefs.

The high point of the album, Consequence of Sounds, which comes a bit to early at track number five (the album’s only real criticism), is a pseudo-rap style song. The piano is extremely simple but it's coupled with knee slaps also courtesy of Regina. The song is begins as a self-criticism, "My rhyme ain't good just yet/ My brain and tongue just met".

But more importantly Consequence of Sounds shifts into a social criticism in one of the best verses ever created. It starts off universal “Did you know that the gravedigger's still gettin' stuck in the machine/ Even though it's a whole other daydreamâ€. But then it straddles off and becomes relatable: “The weather report keeps on tossing and turning/Predicting and warning, And warning and warning of/ Possible leakage from news publications and, possible leakage news TV stationsâ€. Then Regina starts belting: “The worlds got a nosebleed, it said, and were flooding/ But we keep on cutting the trees and the forests/ And we keep on paying those freaks on the TV, who claim they will save us but want to enslave us/†Then she whispers: “And sweating like demons they scream through our speakers, but we leave the sound on 'cause silence is harder/And no ones the killer and no ones the martyr/The world that has made us can no longer contain us/†Then ends on the omnious: And prophets are silent then rotting away 'cause…â€

The song also connects to the highlight of her debut Pavlov’s daughter in 11:11, "the grave diggers getting stuck in the machine/pickings getting slim, slimmer I hear them say my name". Which I always thought was clever. Lyrics and the messages and the intent are the focus of any Regina Spektor album and this one is not any different.

Another watermark of a Regina Spektor album are weird vocal tendencies. For example, Lounge features lip trills, yes lip trills, to simulate someone driving "to get away". Weird runs encompass many of her songs for added dramatic effect. Breaking the last line, “some day I will rememberâ€, in Prisoners into 100 syllables also adds an element of drama. It is unknown to me why the shouting of “Ahhhh†occurs in the chorus of Consequence of Sound, but I am pretty sure Regina had a reason. Lastly, there is a lot of pseudo-scatting sprinkled in several of the songs.   

Another note to make would be Regina piano skills. Anyone given the time could learn to play the piano well; it is an entirely different skill, however, to be able to use piano melody and progression to augment the feel of the track. For example, the sharp arpeggio in the verses of Lacrimosa juxtaposed to the dramatic chord progression in the chorus creates an increased sense of despair, something for which Regina was probably aiming for. Another example would be the somber, sleepy, way the notes dance in Samson fortifies the romantic intent of the lyrics.

The album ends on the playful song Ne Me Quitte Pas, which happy melody and piano progression relives some of the melanchony that plaques the later half of the album. Talking about sleding, catching colds, and touring New York in the snow is pretty much unexpected after the solem songs that preceeded Ne Me Quitte Pas.

This album, with its bare bones production and bluntly honest lyrics, seems so pure. While the album Regina would put out next, “Soviet Kitsch†would be universally acknowleadged as her best, “Songs†will always have that title in my mind. On sebsequent albums both Samson and Ne Me Quitte Pas gotten the upgrade treatment, with Samson remainning essentailly the same and Ne Me Quitte Pas getting a total overhaul. But still, the songs still fit better on “Songsâ€

When recently asked about the rerecording songs from “Songs†Regina Spektor said, “These songs come back because they've been on a really sparse record, I feel like I need to produce them properly and I can't rest until that's done."

Well, she has 10 more amazing songs to go. 

This was like a pre-final draft so theres a few spelling errors, but its all here :gum:

"Songs" by Russian born, Anti-Folk singer-songwriter Regina Spektor is the little album that shouldn't exist; we weren't supposed to hear it, at the time of its creation anyway. The songs that were recorded for "Songs" were meant to be demos. They were recorded in one take, and remained unproduced. The finial product: 12 songs that feature only Regina's adorable voice and her classically trained piano playing. Gone was the jazzy flare of her debut album, “11:11â€. For one reason or another she started selling an album composed of those songs at her shows in 2002, independently. So how does the album we weren't supposed to hear fare? It is one of her best yet.

The album opens up with Samson, breathtaking a love ballad with biblical references. "I cut his hair myself one night/ A pair of dull scissors in the yellow light" Pretty much the whole thing is reference to the story of Samson told from Delilah's point of view.  That fact that it is a reference distances the song from an ordinary ballad.

Regina's capability to express her personal feelings through impersonal, unorthodox instances is what makes this album. When give the choice of an album full of boring ballads or one full of interesting mini stories, akin to the work of a novelist, the latter is always more tantalizing. From Delilah in Samson, Regina morphs into many different characters: an abandoned prince in Oedipus, a hopeless captive in Prisoners, a court room observer in Daniel Cowman, and last but not least, a butterfly peddler in Aching to Pupate.

To keep from being a gimmick, however, there are few songs where Regina remains Regina in most notably, Lullaby. Lullaby is another heartfelt love ballad but with even stranger lyrics than Samson. "I know that you cannot be here/ I know that you are not mine now/ Looking out the window at another window/ I see toenails changing color like the leaves of fall." The coupling of heart wrenching piano instrumental and melody with serious delivery keeps the song from being farce.

Bon Idee, Lounge, and Lacrimosa are sad too, but not the kind of sadness that comes from the person but rather the situation. Lacrimosa, as the name would suggest is very thought provoking and once you get the point of the song, a poignant melancholy hits. As she sings "We keep on burying our dead/ we keep on planting their bones in the ground/ but they don't grow, the sun doesn't help/ the rain doesn't help", it is, at first, quite difficult to regard the sadness; but behind the silliness, there is sadness. Nevertheless, the chorus of the song is blatant serious drama with its reference to the story of Icarus, “Hi, I’m Icarus/ I’m falling, Down/Man for judgment must prepare me/Spare oh god have mercy/â€. Lounge lounges the listener directly in a difficult situation, life after love "you don't know what love is till you see her standing there/ a web of skins and nails and hair". Bon Idee deals with lost, but this time the theme is the tragic loss of intangible treasures such as ideas and religious beliefs.

The high point of the album, Consequence of Sounds, which comes a bit to early at track number five (the album’s only real criticism), is a pseudo-rap style song. The piano is extremely simple but it's coupled with knee slaps also courtesy of Regina. The song is begins as a self-criticism, "My rhyme ain't good just yet/ My brain and tongue just met".

But more importantly Consequence of Sounds shifts into a social criticism in one of the best verses ever created. It starts off universal “Did you know that the gravedigger's still gettin' stuck in the machine/ Even though it's a whole other daydreamâ€. But then it straddles off and becomes relatable: “The weather report keeps on tossing and turning/Predicting and warning, And warning and warning of/ Possible leakage from news publications and, possible leakage news TV stationsâ€. Then Regina starts belting: “The worlds got a nosebleed, it said, and were flooding/ But we keep on cutting the trees and the forests/ And we keep on paying those freaks on the TV, who claim they will save us but want to enslave us/†Then she whispers: “And sweating like demons they scream through our speakers, but we leave the sound on 'cause silence is harder/And no ones the killer and no ones the martyr/The world that has made us can no longer contain us/†Then ends on the omnious: And prophets are silent then rotting away 'cause…â€

The song also connects to the highlight of her debut Pavlov’s daughter in 11:11, "the grave diggers getting stuck in the machine/pickings getting slim, slimmer I hear them say my name". Which I always thought was clever. Lyrics and the messages and the intent are the focus of any Regina Spektor album and this one is not any different.

Another watermark of a Regina Spektor album are weird vocal tendencies. For example, Lounge features lip trills, yes lip trills, to simulate someone driving "to get away". Weird runs encompass many of her songs for added dramatic effect. Breaking the last line, “some day I will rememberâ€, in Prisoners into 100 syllables also adds an element of drama. It is unknown to me why the shouting of “Ahhhh†occurs in the chorus of Consequence of Sound, but I am pretty sure Regina had a reason. Lastly, there is a lot of pseudo-scatting sprinkled in several of the songs.   

Another note to make would be Regina piano skills. Anyone given the time could learn to play the piano well; it is an entirely different skill, however, to be able to use piano melody and progression to augment the feel of the track. For example, the sharp arpeggio in the verses of Lacrimosa juxtaposed to the dramatic chord progression in the chorus creates an increased sense of despair, something for which Regina was probably aiming for. Another example would be the somber, sleepy, way the notes dance in Samson fortifies the romantic intent of the lyrics.

The album ends on the playful song Ne Me Quitte Pas, which happy melody and piano progression relives some of the melanchony that plaques the later half of the album. Talking about sleding, catching colds, and touring New York in the snow is pretty much unexpected after the solem songs that preceeded Ne Me Quitte Pas.

This album, with its bare bones production and bluntly honest lyrics, seems so pure. While the album Regina would put out next, “Soviet Kitsch†would be universally acknowleadged as her best, “Songs†will always have that title in my mind. On sebsequent albums both Samson and Ne Me Quitte Pas gotten the upgrade treatment, with Samson remainning essentailly the same and Ne Me Quitte Pas getting a total overhaul. But still, the songs still fit better on “Songsâ€

When recently asked about the rerecording songs from “Songs†Regina Spektor said, “These songs come back because they've been on a really sparse record, I feel like I need to produce them properly and I can't rest until that's done."

Well, she has 10 more amazing songs to go. 

omg i loved it 

inuborg

omg i loved it 

Thanks, its my favorite thing I've ever written 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived