đź’™ HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT đź’š

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Born This Way still has the biggest one-week album sales in US digital history

Enhsa

Featured Posts

inb4 99c

I've heard somewhere 1989 was 99c on xbox music, is this true?

yes but Billboard didn't count these, that's why HDD numbers were higher.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
GagaMyBlood95

yes, but I don't think it was counted towards total sales.

It wasn't, after Gaga's deal Billboard banned first week album sales that are under 3.99$ to count for their chart :staymad:

TEANUS

inb4 99c

I've heard somewhere 1989 was 99c on xbox music, is this true?

And on a phone app.....

Finally something talking about Gaga's achievement without tagging it with "only because of $0.99 deal" :party:

I wish people would stop bringing up the Amazon deal when talking about it. It's not really fair and it's still an accomplishment.

THHHHHIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSS she sold 1 million, it really doesn't matter how she did it. Anyone was welcome to do the exact same kinda deal. It's anyone else's fault for not doing it. :MANiCURE:

British social ladies with upturned pinkies, glasses clinking // xoxoTEANUS

TheOriginalOne
It wasn't, after Gaga's deal Billboard banned first week album sales that are under 3.99$ to count for their chart :staymad:
Well, Gaga sure is leaving her impact :Emma:

migamiga

No it actually sold a relatively small proportion of the album...

What do you mean? Like Amazon only sold a couple songs? I'm pretty sure they sold 440k of the standard edition. Imagine if those weren't counted :rip:

Donatello

Using historic inflation calculation, $0.99 would be $1.11 in 2014 currency so  :bye:  and gtfo TS stans.

gaga would own the record for the fastest selling single too if Born this Way was released on a proper chart day.

440k from the 1.108M first-week sales came from Amazon's 99 cent 2-day offer. Billboard recognizes that, and they also still recognizes BTW as the 17th album in SoundScan history to sell more than a million in a week. Some tend to either forget, or worse, ignore that fact. It sold more than a million in its first week, regardless if it was offered by one retailer for 99 cents for 2 days. "Sold" implies that there's an intent to purchase from the consumers. It wasn't offered for "free", for its sales to not be counted. Not to mention, SoundScan / Billboard didn't have any policy regarding first-week sales discounts back then.

To prevent future releases to use the type of sales promo Amazon did for BTW in pursuit of manipulating the charts, a pricing policy was introduced, after BTW's release. That pricing policy disallows any album priced below $3.49 during their first 4 weeks of availability to be counted by SoundScan, and therefore will not reflect on the Billboard charts. That's what happened to Microsoft's 99-cent offer for Taylor's 1989. Its sales were NOT counted by SoundScan, and are excluded from 1989's 1.287M US debut.

However, that policy does NOT alter or affect BTW's first week sales. Hence, the all-time record of the biggest one-week US digital album sales still stands and belongs to BTW. Only the ignorant and the misinformed would refute that. 

Archived