37 members have voted

1. 1. who's team are you on?

• #TeamMiley
    • #TeamSinead

Featured Posts

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Miley is more like Sinaed, being gross for shock value, than she is like Britney who actually was conventionally s-xy. Both Miley and Sinead have short uns-xy hairstyles too

There is always an excuse why a female singer can't be s-xual, either she has too many fans underage and is a bad influence, or she'd too old and should put it away.

Important to note: she's saying that Miley is a victim of the music industry, not a conscious anti-feminist icon.

Which is even more demeaning, as it denies her agency and makes her a puppet.

Seeing women as weak victims manipulated by males doesn't seen very feminist, although some feminists like to promote that view (especially of woman who don't see things their way).

ryhanna

Agreed. When female artists are overly s-xualized people were saying it was objectification of women and men just wanting women to shut up and look pretty. 

Now female artists like Nicki Minaj, Miley, and Beyonce are doing just the same but its somehow different?

It has nothing to do with feminism and everything to do with promo and controversy. Gaga is an example of a type of person who uses s-x appeal but is not a victim and enslaved by it, she is in full control

What makes Gaga different though? Not trying to pick a fight, I'm genuinely curious as to why you see her as in control of her own s-xuality, but all of those other artists as enslaved? 

I think Gaga is typical of s-xy female performers. Most women who love to perform on stage and aspire to stardom, also enjoy showing off their bodies.

For example, I know for a fact that Kylie's s-xier image for her 3rd and 4th albums was actually in rebellion against the wishes of her more conservative PWL label. They complained that her Word is Out video was too s-xy and hurt the song.

The girls who don`t feel that way tend to withdraw into songwriting and away from the limelight, like Kate Bush. Or they make "music for the ears not the eyes" like Adele.

Didymus

Which is even more demeaning, as it denies her agency and makes her a puppet.

Seeing women as weak victims manipulated by males doesn't seen very feminist, although some feminists like to promote that view (especially of woman who don't see things their way).

Good point :applause:

If gaga wrote this about the industry...you would be praising her :awkney: did you even consciously read the article tho...?

You don't know me honey so you can't say that about me. Gaga always talks nonsense. And yes, I read the article. She tries to make it seem like Miley was manipulated by her label to be s-xy and shocking which is not the case at all. If you watch her documentary you can see that from the start she had a very clear vision of what she wanted for her career and she executed it perfectly. What she does IS feminism. She's using her s-xuality to her favor and it's her choice to do so. About the younger fanbase, it's not her responsabilty to raise no one's children.

The Professor

What makes Gaga different though? Not trying to pick a fight, I'm genuinely curious as to why you see her as in control of her own s-xuality, but all of those other artists as enslaved? 

Because Gaga can show her entire body, yet still not be s-xualized and reduced to her flesh.

She can do what these artists can't and make herself look ugly (purposefully) while selling platinum records.

She doesn't need the s-x appeal to sell, whereas beyonce and nicki (especially) are dependent on it, and are desperate to be adored, and perceived as beautiful by men.   :yes:

Because Gaga can show her entire body, yet still not be s-xualized and reduced to her flesh.

She can do what these artists can't and make herself look ugly (purposefully) while selling platinum records.

She doesn't need the s-x appeal to sell, whereas beyonce and nicki (especially) are dependent on it, and are desperate to be adored, and perceived as beautiful by men.   :yes:

Miley makes herself look ugly too (though there is more thought behind what Gaga does).

Even singers s-xy in as pretty and feminine way still have a main market of girls. Naturally there is a larger market for that, because more girls want to beautiful and glamorous than ugly or weird looking.

Archived