Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Raven-Symoné: "I'm not African-American, I am American"

Morphine Prince

Featured Posts

SlayedForTheGod

I support her statement. It's all a personal choice on what you want to be addressed as. But I don't like when people say WE SHOULDNT PUT LABELS on people. Let people have their labels. They help some people cope with who they are. 

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
vespertine

first of all, i personally disagree with the term "african-american". i see nationality and ethnic origins as two different things, so i see the point. secondly, the term makes it seem as if the continent of africa is a country, like with other _____-american terms, which disregards all the countries held within the continent, composed of many other people other than sub-saharn africans. my personal philiosphy is that i really don't see race or nationality of things like that, but we are all just inhabitors of the planet of earth, which does not need subdivisions.

Thats very narrow of her to deny her roots like that. I don't get it. Unless you're 100% Native American, if you're black you have ancestry from Africa. And I don't get why people see that as a bad thing. 

Morphine Prince

By the way why is it so hard for people to look at people of color as JUST American without having to add "____" - American to their nationality/ethnicity? 

I asked this one time and I got told that it was because people feel "pride of their roots." How strange that white people seem to be the only ones that can label themselves as "American" with no questions asked. But if someone from another race simply says they are "American," they get asked "But where are you originally from?" I can say this from personal experience.  

I think she's a smart woman.  She knows who she is and has a sense of her identity. People have no reason to be angry with her.  She's a human with thoughts and emotions, and she can identify herself as whatever she wishes. 

We're all Stronger Together!

vespertine

I asked this one time and I got told that it was because people feel "pride of their roots." How strange that white people seem to be the only ones that can label themselves as "American" with no questions asked. But if someone from another race simply says they are "American," they get asked "But where are you originally from?" I can say this from personal experience.

amen

Thats very narrow of her to deny her roots like that. I don't get it. Unless you're 100% Native American, if you're black you have ancestry from Africa. And I don't get why people see that as a bad thing. 

But why can't she only be called American, it's not denying where your ancestry came from, your roots are much more than a label :awkney: Why does she have to be named different than other people? :awkney: We're all humans no matter where we come from :yes:

Miranda Sings

Who really cares how she identifies herself? She's not defining a population or race, she's defining herself. She has every right to do that.

ryhanna

Hm. Fair enough, I suppose.

This seems to be about unity, and rejecting the idea that we're all defined by our differences. We don't need to categorise every different culture and create separation... Which in my opinion is a good way of thinking, but it's also good to acknowledge ones roots.

LordDisick

But why can't she only be called American, it's not denying where your ancestry came from, your roots are much more than a label :awkney: Why does she have to be named different than other people? :awkney: We're all humans no matter where we come from :yes:

its about being proud of your heritage. Those things form your character and make you unique.

its about being proud of your  heritage. Those things form your character and make you unique.

Didn't you read what I said? :awkney:

Heritage is much more than a tag :awkney:

TimisaMonster

Humans are humans.....we shouldn't be defined by where we come from. Continuing this only continues separation of people and doesn't promote unity.

Stream my new single, 💜"Heartbeat"💜, on Spotify!

Archived