💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

VIDEO: Aretha Franklin performs "Rolling in the Deep" on Late Show!

Voltaire

Featured Posts

RAMROD

You guys don't understand.

There is no question Aretha is Queen of Soul.

And that she is a living legend, and all of these are true.

But that doesn't mean she couldn't have a slip.

Everyone have a bad days some time.

And that is O.K.

This performance is bad to the core.

And people need to realise and admit this.

It is better than trying to protect her from the truth by being biased about it.

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ AND I'M VICTORIA, MALCOLM! (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MelbHawker

I agree. The replies in this thread are really disappointing. People here seem to think being pitch perfect is the only way to be a good vocalist, and the only way to be beautiful is to be stick thin. This is a great performance by the most respected soul singer of all time, who happens to look like she does her makeup with pool cue chalk and has Big Edie arms…things that should only add camp factor to an already wonderful number. 

Ugh, remember when us fags were the arbiters of good taste? 

I know.. in general the Internet's response to Aretha's 'comeback' has really disappointed me. Humanity is so shallow at the moment. She's 72 years old, she's one of musics greatest ever artists (I'm sorry but this is fact & cannot be disputed) & she's come out in an absolutely amazing dress and put her own authentic & nostalgic spin on one of today's biggest classics. I think it's totally awesome, and quite frankly I do not give a damn that she fumbled some lyrics. Elvis used to forget his lyrics. Does anyone care & knock him for it? No. Because he's still f*cking great anyhow. Aretha's amazing, and she's still got it. 

This performance is bad to the core.

And people need to realise and admit this.

It is better than trying to protect her from the truth by being biased about it.

It's not bad to the core..  :rofl:  :toofunny:

She's in her 70s, so i'm not going to terribly judge her because obviously she's no longer the vocalist she used to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FOUqQt3Kg0

RAMROD

It's not bad to the core..  :rofl:  :toofunny:

Sorry, but it is, for a Diva like her.

I could let it pass if it's some Lisa Marie.

But Aretha, unforgivable.

There are more Divas in their 70s or close

that still retains quality they have when they were younger.

I.E: Barbra Strseisand, Cher, Liza Minelli, Diana Ross, and so on

So the age card is really irrelevant to be mentioned here.

If Aretha wasn't ready to return, she should halted it.

This just hurting her image and legacy.

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ AND I'M VICTORIA, MALCOLM! (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

you people really have no idea what makes a good vocal performance, do you? this is soul, not engineering. 

You know ideas about "good singing" have changed a lot decade by decade. Aretha's type of vocals aren't synonomous with soul. One might well prefer Tina Turner, Dionne Warwick, or Dusty Springfield and think Aretha overrated. I certainly enjoy their GH albums more.

MelbHawker

This just hurting her image and legacy.

No it's not.  :toofunny: If this performance lessens Aretha in your mind, you are an absolute fool. 

IMO it's only continuing her legacy and it's strengthening her image. She's still got it at 72 years old.

Archived