Digital Spy Cheek to Cheek Review - 4 Stars

SummerGirl21

Featured Posts

SummerGirl21

Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga: Cheek to Cheek album review
By Lewis Corner
Monday, Sep 22 2014, 7:50am EDT
Released on Monday, Sep 22 2014

When Lady Gaga became pop's biggest breakout star in 2008, it was her stripped-back, piano renditions of 'Poker Face' and 'Paparazzi' that captured the public's affection. It showed that the shiniest, ostentatious and most controversial person on the chart could create a big - if not bigger - impact when reining it in. Of course, we all know that 90% of the time, living life on the more subdued side of art isn't Gaga's bag. But here, on Cheek to Cheek with Tony Bennett, Stefani Germanotta goes some way to settling that balance.

While Tony Bennett is celebrating the 65th year of his illustrious music career in jazz, Lady Gaga's credentials in this field amount to a New York state jazz competition win in her teens. On paper it may seem like a tipped cart, but on record, Gaga is more than equipped to match her smooth crooning icon. Taking on 11 standards, Gaga's usual electronic vocals have become syrupy-smooth coos, blending with Bennett's raspy walnut tone on title track 'Cheek to Cheek' and 'I Won't Dance'. The latter makes good use of Gaga's dry quips; her playful interjections bouncing off Bennett's Rat Pack charm.

Elsewhere, the peppy 'Let's Face the Music and Dance' hears Gaga take on vintage Vegas glamour with her sweeping vocal tottering over a tight brass section, while Bennett's smoky inflection on 'Sophisticated Lady' is as effortlessly rich as a tipple of American Honey at Ronnie Scott's. What's more, Gaga's solo outing on Billy Strayhorn's 'Lush Life' is a full-bodied performance, starting with her light quivering vocal and building into a warm vibrato over flourishes of strings. It's a reminder of the star's formidable voice, which is allowed to soar free of earworm squiggles.

Cheek to Cheek may not be the glittering spectacle we've come to expect from Lady Gaga, but with Tony Bennett's guidance the pair have delivered an authentic and solid jazz record that respects the genre's generous history. Lady Gaga may have toned down the scale of her performance for the record, but her voice and passion for jazz does a tremendous job of taking center stage.

4 Stars

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.com/music/review/a598195/tony-bennett--lady-gaga-cheek-to-cheek-album-review.html#~oQBlOr9Ch4MKzP#ixzz3E3Ufun3Z 

GypsyPrince

Get that universal acclaim. :legend: Does this one count for the Metacritic score?

Yes it does! Their past reviews of Gaga haven't been good so this is amazing coming from them.

MonsterOfSpain

Yes it does! Their past reviews of Gaga haven't been good so this is amazing coming from them.

Yes! :worship: She's winning back the GP this era.

MonsterOfSpain

Wait just checked it and their reviews weren't included in ARTPOP, BTW or TFM's scores.  :huh:  Still I hope it counts this time.  :excited2:

GypsyPrince

Wait just checked it and their reviews weren't included in ARTPOP, BTW or TFM's scores.  :huh:  Still I hope it counts this time.  :excited2:

:huh:

I recall them being included. Well let's hope. So far most of the 4/5 reviews don't count for metacritic :giveup:

yASSsss

digital spy's review is not counted for ARTPOP :ohno:

Call me by your name and I'll call you by mine

Archived