Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Gaga: "I didn't even want to sing anymore" but "Tony saved my life"

Jester

Featured Posts

notamember

This interview resonates with me so much. Especially the bit where Gaga talks about how at no point in her life did she ever want to stop, but, she was at point where she didn't even want to sing anymore. 

Over the past few years, I've been feeling similarly to Gaga. I'm an aspiring actor and did a fair amount of theatre in high school. One of my professors attended NYU and Emerson and the other, Ithaca. Both of them were very serious about theatre, as am I. But, my senior year, after the success of our production of "RENT" (in which I played Tom Collins, if anyone's familiar with the show), it kind of went to their heads, I guess. Over the summer, I was unable to be a part of a production of "Spring Awakening" they did with a local theatre. I was disappointed to have not been a part of it, but, I had other things lined up. 

Anyway, so when I returned for the fall of my senior year, I was a part of the Theatre Ensemble, which is an honors level theatre course in which you're essentially required to be a part of every single production they mount that year. Seeing that "RENT" made them so much money (coming very close to selling out a 600 seat venue every night for 8 shows, which is especially impressive for a high school), they decided to do 6 productions my senior year. Being that I already struggle with depression and had a fantasy complex similar to Gaga's (meaning that I had trouble allowing myself to be vulnerable because I wanted to be a superstar), I knew that it would be a lot to handle, but, because of my love for theatre, I knew I'd be able to get through it. 

Little did I know that they were pretty much going to work me into the ground, show me no respect and pretty much trap me in a mind**** where I had to put the show before all else. They created a space where the work lacked a love of the art itself and cared more about the notoriety for being known for putting on "good theatre". It was so emotionally taxing and I honestly felt like I was drowning. I seriously contemplated suicide several times over the course of that year (not due solely to them, but, also coupled with my depression and not being able to find theatre as a release from it, but, rather, an asset to it).

After I graduated and felt very fortunate to have made it out of their alive, I honestly didn't want to act or sing anymore. I had been told by an ENT that I have nodes (small calusses that build up on your vocal chords, not something you want to have as a singer) due to acid reflux, and that really added insult to injury. 

It wasn't until I was able to take time for myself, truly evaluate what I want and heal that I've been able to get better and lead a life that is as a whole, honestly more enriching than the fantasy I was trying to live before.

And it comforts me to know that Gaga seems to be in a similar place. 

A bit of a rant, I know, and there are probably parts that were a bit confusing, just because a lot of the psychological bits are kind of hard to explain, but, yeah.

Love this interview, love Gaga and love y'all.

:hug: aw

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did she just shade TFM? :awkney:

To the power in here that thought she implied that ARTPOP wasn't up to par. She said no such thing. Actually I think it's the opposite: she's calling the GP basic and saying that if they don't get it, it's because it's so good and her best work. That's what I got from it.

?? No, she said that TFM grabbed the whole worl. How is that shading it? ;)

Such a great interview  :flutter:  Gaga was really getting sick of being the big pop star with all the critics and the anticipation to be perfect all the time and it's sad that she never got a chance to breathe. I know i'd feel uninspired and sad after years of controlling and exhausting work. Doing this jazz album re-ignited her flame to continue doing music when it was barely there anymore.

You don't deserve a point of view if the only thing you see is you.

One Five Ten

?? No, she said that TFM grabbed the whole worl. How is that shading it? ;)

She's calling the GP basic for not liking ARTPOP :teehee: Therefore by extension, calling them basic for liking TFM :awkney:

I'm really glad that he helped her when she felt like that. However, I for someone reason can't get excited about C2C. I love the lady is a tramp but these other songs are just meh to me :(

The best interview of her I've read in years. Contrary to those who ridiculously say that this isn't her being honest whatsoever, I actually find it to be her most candid interview yet. For a singer to say (or admit) that she considered quitting due to all the bad things that had happened since the release of ARTPOP, it takes a huge amount of courage, humility, and yes, openness to do it. It's saddening yet you wouldn't finish reading the article without smiling and be glad for Gaga. The more I become more appreciative towards Cheek to Cheek and Tony then. 

I know this is about C2C but I will honestly never get tired of hearing Gaga's thoughts on what went down during ARTPOP early 2014, her state of mind, etc.

She's calling the GP basic for not liking ARTPOP :teehee: Therefore by extension, calling them basic for liking TFM :awkney:

*sigh* No she isn't, but think what you like. ;)

Archived