Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

The Music Industry Is Literally Brainwashing You to Like Bad Pop Songs

Antichrist

Featured Posts

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dunk96

I'm not even reading that and I'm getting out the thread before the delusion starts about this is why ARTPOP underperformed :later:

Typical pop music basically follows rules, it has to be memorable, easy to learn, and catchy. It's what our minds like and that's not a trick, you're simply inclined to like it more.

Yanko

this is not news

radio's are for the blame

almost every song sounds the same these days so they can fit for radio nothing new

if you're saying otherwise, you're being delusional  (no offence)

(before you come at me im not saying pop music is trash but some of it is and they sound similar you can't deny that )

LoveandMagic

Wow. I couldn't disagree more with this. If there is a song on the radio I mildly dislike, or am indifferent to, repeated exposure just makes me hate it! 

Just repeat to yourself, "It's just a show. I should really just relax."

• 4 weeks later...
PinkBalloons

That's genius thinking really. I get that feeling with Birthday, it's UGH but still so fun :D

JaggedMonster

Ok but why don't I like any of those songs then

Because, you are not easily brainwashed like the rest of the basics, and have good test. :whitney:

Evan Peters

Because, you are not easily brainwashed like the rest of the basics, and have good test. :whitney:

:laughga:

emma roberts is an abuser

Bleachella

I guess I'm brainwashed, I'll go back to playing Prism, Fancy, and Anaconda :ohwell:

Stop the drama start the music pressed haters :teehee:

StrawberryBlond

It makes total sense. I review albums as a hobby and I witness a lot of rubbish, I can tell you. And because I've listened to the albums in full, I'll be aware of these songs before they become singles. In the time it takes for them to become singles, I may listen to the worst of the worst occasionally because I get a weird sort of delight from listening to terrible music. It's in the same way people enjoy bad movies because they're "interesting bad." It means that by the time they become singles and become successful, I've built up somewhat of a relationship with them. That alone makes them more tolerable than they were the first time I listened to them. Don't get me wrong, I still find them bad, but not as unbearably bad as they were the first couple of listens. I'm currently in that zone with Anaconda and This Is How We Do. In Katy's case, I'm feeling almost sorry for her because she's had her second flop in a row and she's no longer the threat that she was just two years ago. It means I no longer see her songs as a challenge to my other faves like I used to, so I view her songs in a different light. I think that part about how hearing the song everywhere can make you associate it with good times, which is why songs in the summer tend to be huge, because people will hear them on the radio on the way to beach/barbecue/party/carnival and if they go to a tourist resort on holiday, they'll probably hear them in the bars and clubs in the area. They'll remember those hazy, lazy, fun-filled days of summer whenever these songs come on and grow to love them purely for the nostalgia they induce.

I don't think this is really a bash at pop, it's just using pop as an example because that's still the dominant genre of the moment. But yes, I think the story's the same no matter which genre's popular. I think this article has now made it clearer to me why radio can continue to support generic songs even if they're flopping - they're hoping if people just hear them enough times, they'll grow to like them. I guess it also explains why a lot of songs can take a long time to go to #1 in America and once they finally make it, they stay there for weeks - repeated exposure is the name of the game.

I think the process of coming to enjoy a Kate Bush song is no different than a Katy Perry song. Both have a few songs that are immediate love - I Kissed a Girl, Running Up That Hill. But many do nothing for you on first listen but grow with repetition.

Radio pop and hipster pop both benefit from repeated listens. One is no more brainwashing than the other. You choose to listen to radio, and artists that you want to appreciate. And there are some songs you can'tenjoy mo matter what.

not the ppl in a gaga fanbase site calling prism a flop when its one of the highest selling albums of the year and has the two biggest hits of the two previous seasons roar and dark horse. the hatred and delusion is getting out of hand in this base. oh well :)

and not ppl in here believing that pop is basic when we admire gaga I mean WOW LOL

Archived