💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Do you guys think Venus would do well as the lead?

disneyhigh

Venis  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Would Venus do well at the lead single of ARTPOP

• yes
    • no

Featured Posts

HarryTheNight

This song annoys me for so many reasons. As a whole i LOVE it and it's one of my most played and favourite songs from the album, but I just feel the chorus was produced badly and doesn't have enough power, the TAKE ME TO YOUR PLANNET part sounds so powerful as does the first verse, and then the chorus is just like a drawling when u tuch meeee i diiiieeeee and she sounds really bored, like she could have screamed it and did more with her voice. also something that irks me is how the last chorus is exactly the same as the 2nd, i always like songs to change up a little at the end. but its still really catchy, I just think if someone else produced it it would be better and Bad romance level and by doing it herself she wasted a lot of potential.

When it first debuted me and 2 other big gaga fan friends listened and were like omg what this sucks and hated it but after about the 30th listen we started to like it and now we love it and we always play it when were drinking and request it at clubs lol. but because it took so long to grow on us i would say as a lead single it would be a no no, even though i understand were not a measure of the GP etc. I was against it being a single at all for ages but now looking back I wish it was the single instead of DWUW just because of the mess of that situation which I blame for the eras staleness now (no video, blackout etc) I think if she just released it, regardless of it it did well everything would have gone smoother, we would have got a 3rd single earlier before people completely forgot about her and would now be onto the fourth as I think there would have been more 3rd single success if the dwuw no video/blackout never happened.

wow that ended up being really long haha rant over

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LilVenusian

No and idk why you guys are always bashing Applause, it did very well. I love Venus but it got an incredibly mixed reaction and did terribly as a promo single.

It probably would have charted in a similar place just for being the lead but I doubt it would have had anything like the longevity Applause did. 

I dont know why people think it was such a flop promo single. It’s her most streamed non-single off ARTPOP on both youtube and spotify, getting upwards of 10 million hits. This shows it obviously has some sort of general appeal and replay-ability that could definitely convert to radio if given the proper push. And critical reception? Most people thought “Bad Romance†was too “wacky†and “weird†when it first came out. The first few days of a songs reception is usually not a reflection of how it will be received a year or two down the track.  “Do What U Want†also had the extra publicity+hype of being attached to a big name like R-Kelly, who still has a massive following in the RNB community. Venus was purely her own work and it faired damn good as a promo single if u ask me.

MikeyMoonShine

I dont know why people think it was such a flop promo single. It’s her most streamed non-single off ARTPOP on both youtube and spotify, getting upwards of 10 million hits. This shows it obviously has some sort of general appeal and replay-ability that could definitely convert to radio if given the proper push. And critical reception? Most people thought “Bad Romance†was too “wacky†and “weird†when it first came out. The first few days of a songs reception is usually not a reflection of how it will be received a year or two down the track.  “Do What U Want†also had the extra publicity+hype of being attached to a big name like R-Kelly, who still has a massive following in the RNB community. Venus was purely her own work and it faired damn good as a promo single if u ask me.

Well it's mostly fans streaming the album to begin with so that means little. I am sure it would get allot of streams and I really want a Venus video, I actually am not against it being a single I just highly doubt it will hit. 

From I can remember Bad Romance did actually get allot of acclaim when it first came out and Venus has been out for ages now and she has performed it loads. That should be enough for it to have made some sort of impact on the charts or for it to have generated some kind of buzz but it hasn't done either of those things. It's her lowest charting promo single (I think) so I really don't think it did that well allthough tbf dope would have done worse and mtn and guy did worse despite being singles. ;) 

Pain of fame1

It is the Bad Romance from ARTPOP.... sadly Gaga and her team chaanged it to DWUW.... T_T

this. It is bigger than BAD ROMANCE

LilVenusian

Well it's mostly fans streaming the album to begin with so that means little. I am sure it would get allot of streams and I really want a Venus video, I actually am not against it being a single I just highly doubt it will hit. 

From I can remember Bad Romance did actually get allot of acclaim when it first came out and Venus has been out for ages now and she has performed it loads. That should be enough for it to have made some sort of impact on the charts or for it to have generated some kind of buzz but it hasn't done either of those things. It's her lowest charting promo single (I think) so I really don't think it did that well allthough tbf dope would have done worse and mtn and guy did worse despite being singles. ;)

I think your underestimating the importance of streaming. Whether it is fans or non-fans, It shows that people are playing the song over and over again over time (potential earworm). If you compare its streaming stats with “Dope†which was also released under similar circumstances, it only garnered around 3 million hits. That’s s an obvious measurable difference in popularity over time and one would naturally make a better single over the other.

Bad Romance is really acclaimed now, but its firsthand reception was very mixed.  Rolling Stone gave it a scathing 2/5 review, which is especially telling coming major publication known for kissing gagas ass. Its music video was almost instantly acclaimed, but the song itself? Come on, you really think most people were here for those rah-rah-rahs lol? It was definitely a “grower†not an instant smash hit.

Bottomline, Venus never got its proper release to radio so I guess we will never know how it would have been received by the GP. I just think it’s silly to question its potential just because of its performance as a “promo†single (which might I add was still very good). Promo singles are just supposed to little treats to tie fans over until the album release, and it drives me crazy that people are treating them like focus group style trial-runs for singles these days. That’s probably the logic her label was using when they decided to swap the singles last minute and shoot the whole era in the foot. Ugh!!

MikeyMoonShine

I think your underestimating the importance of streaming. Whether it is fans or non-fans, It shows that people are playing the song over and over again over time (potential earworm). If you compare its streaming stats with “Dope†which was also released under similar circumstances, it only garnered around 3 million hits. That’s s an obvious measurable difference in popularity over time and one would naturally make a better single over the other.

Bad Romance is really acclaimed now, but its firsthand reception was very mixed.  Rolling Stone gave it a scathing 2/5 review, which is especially telling coming major publication known for kissing gagas ass. Its music video was almost instantly acclaimed, but the song itself? Come on, you really think most people were here for those rah-rah-rahs lol? It was definitely a “grower†not an instant smash hit.

Bottomline, Venus never got its proper release to radio so I guess we will never know how it would have been received by the GP. I just think it’s silly to question its potential just because of its performance as a “promo†single (which might I add was still very good). Promo singles are just supposed to little treats to tie fans over until the album release, and it drives me crazy that people are treating them like focus group style trial-runs for singles these days. That’s probably the logic her label was using when they decided to swap the singles last minute and shoot the whole era in the foot. Ugh!!

Yes i think we can all agree that Venus would be a more successful single than Dope. I am not underestimating streaming but you are ignoring the fact that Venus is a fan favorite so will obviously be getting allot of streams from fans. It doesn't mean it will be popular outside the fanbase and fans can't give you hit singles after the lead. 

Well ok but even if BR was a grower Venus isn't growing as of yet. 

Gaga performed Venus in the UK just as much as she did DWUW and it peaked at 76, DWUW peaked at 9, nobody was interested in Venus. Also A promo singles performance is important, look at DH vs Uncle, DH showed potential as a promo single selling well and staying high in the charts, uncle didn't. 

When Katy released Uncle it unperformed and when she released DH it smashed.

This "trial runs" thing is exactly how artists and labels treat promo singles. Also her swapping out Venus didn't ruin the era, the bad handling of DWUW did that. It could have done allot better if handled better, she did the same thing with TEOG too. 

I am actually not a massive fan of promo singles (at least in gaga's case) because they split attention from her actual singles. That's what happened in the BTW era and I think that's what happened with Venus and DWUW. 

LilVenusian

Yes i think we can all agree that Venus would be a more successful single than Dope. I am not underestimating streaming but you are ignoring the fact that Venus is a fan favorite so will obviously be getting allot of streams from fans. It doesn't mean it will be popular outside the fanbase and fans can't give you hit singles after the lead. 

Well ok but even if BR was a grower Venus isn't growing as of yet. 

Gaga performed Venus in the UK just as much as she did DWUW and it peaked at 76, DWUW peaked at 9, nobody was interested in Venus. Also A promo singles performance is important, look at DH vs Uncle, DH showed potential as a promo single selling well and staying high in the charts, uncle didn't. 

When Katy released Uncle it unperformed and when she released DH it smashed.

This "trial runs" thing is exactly how artists and labels treat promo singles. Also her swapping out Venus didn't ruin the era, the bad handling of DWUW did that. It could have done allot better if handled better, she did the same thing with TEOG too. 

I am actually not a massive fan of promo singles (at least in gaga's case) because they split attention from her actual singles. That's what happened in the BTW era and I think that's what happened with Venus and DWUW. 

DWUW was officially the single by that point at was getting regular airplay so comparing their chart positions at that point is pointless. Of course an official single is going to be charting higher (note Venus was still slaying at 76!!!). A large part of the way DWUW was handled had to precisely to do with the single swap. If you were following gagas tweets around that time she was super excited to have picked Venus and was even announcing video plans (she clearly had a treatment written out) and then things got kind of turned upside down we got a bunch of messy unorganised performances, no video and she complained of a lot of behind the scenes issues and “grave mismanagementâ€. It’s easy to connect the dots that she probably was under a lot of pressure after the entire single change and felt like she was toyed around a bit by her label/managment.  

I’m still not entirely convinced that promo singles are really telling of longevity. Sure it may have worked for KP (in this one rare instance) but like gaga said “I cue culture, not the other way aroundâ€. Petty things like iTunes positions shouldn’t decide whether a song is single-worthy or not; because longevity can’t be measured that way (which is probably why DWUW dropped like a rock after a week in most markets). Songs with true longevity hustle their way to the top on their own merits.  I guess that’s the kind of future I saw for Venus, and it was super disappointing to see it snatched away because of a couple of petty iTunes positions.

I think you’re a--lyzing the charts way too seriously. Just have faith in the song; if so many of us can love it then I can’t see why it won’t translate to the whole public. 

freebit

I think anything from ARTPOP she released would have debuted the same. The drop off would have been much quicker with Venus though.

"Gaga performed Venus in the UK just as much as she did DWUW and it peaked at 76, DWUW peaked at 9, nobody was interested in Venus. Also A promo singles performance is important, look at DH vs Uncle, DH showed potential as a promo single selling well and staying high in the charts, uncle didn't."

Venus would have debut at a higher position in the UK it was announced when it was released, but due to the new rule their about how only one song can be counted in the charts from a un-released album, it didnt chart until ARTPOP was released and by then dwuw was the 2nd single receiving airplay.

MikeyMoonShine

"Gaga performed Venus in the UK just as much as she did DWUW and it peaked at 76, DWUW peaked at 9, nobody was interested in Venus. Also A promo singles performance is important, look at DH vs Uncle, DH showed potential as a promo single selling well and staying high in the charts, uncle didn't."

Venus would have debut at a higher position in the UK it was announced when it was released, but due to the new rule their about how only one song can be counted in the charts from a un-released album, it didnt chart until ARTPOP was released and by then dwuw was the 2nd single receiving airplay.

Exactly the same could be said of dwuw though. That still charted in the top ten because it was a more popular song. 

Misja056

I think it would have done well if ARTPOP came 2 á 3 months after DWUW, then Venus after 2 - 3 months, then G.u.y. after 3 months with the roseland closing shows and last but not least MANiCURE. I think the era (till now) would have gone better. But now the tours are coming up, maybe she will put out another single. I'm afraid it is over or will be over after the tour is done. And then ARTPOP Act II

MikeyMoonShine

DWUW was officially the single by that point at was getting regular airplay so comparing their chart positions at that point is pointless. Of course an official single is going to be charting higher (note Venus was still slaying at 76!!!). A large part of the way DWUW was handled had to precisely to do with the single swap. If you were following gagas tweets around that time she was super excited to have picked Venus and was even announcing video plans (she clearly had a treatment written out) and then things got kind of turned upside down we got a bunch of messy unorganised performances, no video and she complained of a lot of behind the scenes issues and “grave mismanagementâ€. It’s easy to connect the dots that she probably was under a lot of pressure after the entire single change and felt like she was toyed around a bit by her label/managment.  

I’m still not entirely convinced that promo singles are really telling of longevity. Sure it may have worked for KP (in this one rare instance) but like gaga said “I cue culture, not the other way aroundâ€. Petty things like iTunes positions shouldn’t decide whether a song is single-worthy or not; because longevity can’t be measured that way (which is probably why DWUW dropped like a rock after a week in most markets). Songs with true longevity hustle their way to the top on their own merits.  I guess that’s the kind of future I saw for Venus, and it was super disappointing to see it snatched away because of a couple of petty iTunes positions.

I think you’re a--lyzing the charts way too seriously. Just have faith in the song; if so many of us can love it then I can’t see why it won’t translate to the whole public. 

DWUW's UK airplay was not that good also this was just after it was made a single so no I don't think it had massive airplay. To be honest I don't think the single swap was a good idea either but I don't think DWUW was somehow a bad single choice, it didn't do well because it was badly handled (as well as other controversy) it was a very popular song and still went platinum in the US despite all the messiness. 

As for promo singles well TEOG was also made a single because of it's success as a promo single although like DWUW that was messily handled and could have done better, but at least that one didn't do that badly. 

DWUW did well in allot of markets though, it was in the UK and US charts for a while just waiting for some good promo to boost it's sales. Sadly, most of it's promo was a mess.

I also don't actually care about the charts at all. I wanted Venus to be a single because I wanted a Venus video but I never really expected it to become a hit (unless the video went viral or something). The songs I like aren't necessarily the one's I think will chart well and I think some fans have trouble differentiating between the two.   

Anderson123

Yes. And I think their plan was to release Venus as a lead single or second single. I mean, they went with Applause because any song at that point would've been successful (Like Born This Way), so they wanted to release a really good lead single, then an even better second single. At least that's what I think they wanted to do.

Venus had a chance to be "the new catchy/weird Lady Gaga" song that'd have had it's time to shine, then Do What U Want as third single because that was something that was going to be appealing to everyone. Sadly, things got messy.

Archived