Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

What happened to strong melodies in pop music?

RadioIsOurs

Featured Posts

I miss strong and catchy choruses as well :giveup: 

Nowadays most of them in songs are just a bunch of weird noises

If the pop music era of 2008/2009/2010 could comeback :giveup:

There could be a 1000 doves in the sky...

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FRANK1991

While Troye Sivan's My My My doesn't have a strong melody, most of the tracks from his Blue Neighbourhood does.

when I think of strong melodies currently for me it's Carly Rae Jepsen :pray: especially those 80s inspired tracks

Taylor's 1989 also saw some great melodies (Style, Wildest Dreams, Bad Blood )

of course Gaga always has strong melodies 

back in the days....:tony:

Cyndi Lauper- Time after Time

All of ABBA

Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up 

Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)

Crowded House - Don't Dream It's Over

Cause once you let it go you better know it's gone

FRANK1991
1 hour ago, RainbowBlonde said:

omg what is this familiar chorus that sounds almost generic like every old hit had this

and yet it's so good!

never heard of them before, looking up now 

Opulence

True, its just the way music is now, the public want catchy yet disposable songs out every week that they'll forget about the following month.

I think  mainstream artists do have songs with great melodies nowadays they just aren't often released or simply don't make it huge. A few recent examples:

And don't worry, Ariana will soon return with her melodic bops :giveup:

RadioIsOurs
20 minutes ago, FRANK1991 said:

omg what is this familiar chorus that sounds almost generic like every old hit had this

and yet it's so good!

never heard of them before, looking up now 

One of my fav childhood songs! :diane: (even though I haven't even existed when this song came out since I'm only 16...) (Edit: It was the same year as I was born and I literally just forgot my age :triggered:) It literally embodies the sound of pop music that I'm most familiar with from my early childhood: this kind of very soft yet dramatic R&B melody with chord changes that feel like cool air blowing in your face :tony:

Laceface

You are so right, it's finally clicked with me as to why I find recent music so disposable and lack luster/generic. I do miss the strong melodies. I guess it's why most sound like album fillers to me now 

FRANK1991

oh oh oh 

I've definitely heard of this one :toofunny: iconic never knew them but their song

FRANK1991
2 minutes ago, Laceface said:

You are so right, it's finally clicked with me as to why I find recent music so disposable and lack luster/generic. I do miss the strong melodies.

like the older songs have strong melodies AND clear vocals where you know exactly what they are singing and each word is pronounced one by one, making it super easy to follow and memorable. These days I never knew what anyone is singing :selena:

11 minutes ago, RainbowBlonde said:

One of my fav childhood songs! :diane: (even though I haven't even existed when this song came out since I'm only 16...) It literally embodies the sound of pop music that I'm most familiar with from my early childhood: this kind of very soft yet dramatic R&B melody with chord changes that feel like cool air blowing in your face :tony:

omg I know Bring it all back, too! :selena: how can I not :triggered:

I was around 9 or 10 when theirs songs were released

AlexanderMagno

Music evolves. To be honest, music is not THAT bad nowadays. I actually find it very interesting how it tries to step away from predictable chorus and melodies and finds new sounds and experiences.

And pop music has always tried to be catchy, the only thing that's different is how they do it.

The only thing that's bad is how genres are overplayed and artists so obviously jump into the trendy scene.

Then provide me with a better Gaga example bish :triggered:

These are the two standout examples... But you're right, Just Dance is good too.

Drin Lon

Compared to other recent songs yeah, but it just can't compare to killer melodies like Judas and Just Dance. I don't know, I'm not a music expert but I can tell that the melody for TC is a little more...flat. It's still strong though. But the melodies I'm mostly talking about are the ones that actually SPINS your soul around until your heart hurts, if that makes any sense. :laughga:

TC has a very strong chorus sis wyd, when the beat drops I get goosebumps

It's a good bridge that it misses

Drin Lon

Then provide me with a better Gaga example bish :triggered:

Bad Romance, TEOG, Paparazzi 

Archived